1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Official Dark Horse 4 Elf Party Thread

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Lansman, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Great times. Cheers Dark Horse!
  2. Romulux

Romulux Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 28, 2008

Low#'s = Happy.......High#'s = Unhappy. Think I have heard this story before.......Nothing to see here....move along.
    tjohn2401, JohnB87 and MichPaul like this.
  3. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

I've been to a few (not a lot so I am not very experienced) and I didn't make it to this one so I can't say forsure regarding this one. But I've had tons of fun at the other releases I've been to. As you said:
    The party is the best part, leaving with some beer is nice but honestly I just view it as an excuse to crack open some awesome bottles with some awesome people
    raymo55 and Shagtastic like this.
  4. tniaPSM

tniaPSM Disciple (70) Viet Nam Dec 5, 2012

So let me understand. A Midwest beer release was a poorly ran clusterfuck? Pfft, I am new here and cannot buy for one second that surprises ANYONE. Harsh reality here for a sec.....anyone that got shut out or pissed on or didn't get through line as fast as they wanted either was fooling themselves for thinking something different would happen.

BA 2012. Even the noobs know better.
  5. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

This.
    adamdd and Shagtastic like this.
  6. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

Glad to see you're throwing out your expert opinion on whether he goes to releases or not. I'm sorry you didn't get everything you wanted but that is no need to throw a pity party. DH does great events. Glad to hear you won't be there next year because you had such a "bad" experience. More beer for the rest of us.
    raymo55 and pschul4 like this.
  7. Lukafer

Lukafer Savant (350) Michigan Dec 18, 2009

You're right, the party usually IS the best part, but tonight it was kind of weird. The food was great, when you could get to it, there was lamb and some other tasty treats. I had NO problem getting great drafts at the beginning either, BTW, it just sucked that it went downhill about an hour after we got there and never recovered!
  8. jefeld

jefeld Aficionado (185) Illinois Mar 31, 2010

so what it sounds like is there was another clusterfuck of a slow moving line (expected, nothing to be shocked or all that pissed about) and only two 100 % certifiably pure gold bottled beers for sale, bb monster and bb plead . . . is this accurate? I'm sure food was great again!
    Lukafer likes this.
  9. pschul4

I know that feel bro, I missed out on Cherry Rye all over Chicago on Black Friday. It's just part of playing the limited release game. Chalk it up to experience and next time you'll be the one who scores the .rars
  10. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

Dark Horse 4 elf party the "stand in line for 6 hours party" seriously a 5 year old could do a better job of organizing
    Lukafer likes this.
  11. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

I think the bottle release was poorly run. It was insanely slow. I was #202 and got my bottles at around 8 pm, that is 5 hours. Luckily I didnt stay in line or I would have went insane. The best part was waiting for the tokens in the morning. I had a lot of fun then sharing beers and meeting new BAs. I am done after the clusterfuck this turned into, there is not enough room and resources for the amount of people that show up.
    tjohn2401 and Lukafer like this.
  12. BreakingBad

and the 100 people around me all agreed that this was not planned well and a horrible event. It's the vocal minority on here that camped out since midnight that think it went okay. Everyone else hated it and hated darkhorse
    Lukafer likes this.
  13. jefeld

jefeld Aficionado (185) Illinois Mar 31, 2010

what it sounds like is that people had to wait in long lines one way or the other. either wait in line starting at 6 am outside for 5 hrs in order to get a low numbered token, then wait until 3 in order to get beer within an hour or so, or show up closer to 11, get a high number token, wait until 3, and then keep waiting until 7-8 pm in order to buy beer.
  14. Lansman

What number were you in line? I had friends up and down the line and no one felt that way.
    MichPaul likes this.
  15. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (345) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

All the hate makes me chuckle. We had an awesome day and it's too bad others didn't. They were moving as fast as they could at the register, not sure how you could expect it to go quicker. Some suggestions for improvement would probably make the sour grapes a little sweeter. Bitch just to bitch I guess.
  16. tniaPSM

tniaPSM Disciple (70) Viet Nam Dec 5, 2012

This is so fun.

Some real class act BAs.

And a group of whining fucking amateurs.

You can feel free to assign which group you are in yourself (think it is pretty obvious to most of us).
  17. BreakingBad

305, by 7pm they were on 150 which was where my buddy was at so we just split the allotment and bounced. Honestly 150 customers should not take 4 hours. Trying to argue otherwise, you might as well tattoo idiot on your forehead. Everyone around us was upset. They were ill prepared.
  18. syu3003

syu3003 Aficionado (205) Michigan May 4, 2011

The dark horse people are some of the nicest most down to earth people I've met and certainly I'm thankful for the kick ass party they threw. I must say it was pretty frustrating waiting about 12 hours in line since the bottle sales were god awful slow, and although it seemed like things could have been run more efficient I'm still grateful. I was 226 and got to buy everything I wanted, so I left pleased, however as it appears, 50 people more and I would have gotten shut out... Which would have not been a good time...

Definitely running around bottle sharing made standing in the freezing cold tolerable, but its what we do to ourselves i guess. Thanks to dark horse for the day! Cheers!
    raymo55 likes this.
  19. BreakingBad

I've been to many beer releases/events and this by far was the worst. everyone agreed. And for all the people that bitch about dld, this was 100 times worse.
    Lukafer likes this.
  20. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

So what you're saying is that you had a shitty time, and it was a poorly done release?

Your bottles are "super-whales" now, congratulations!

Bro, Beer, Chill.
  21. BreakingBad

I agree they are nice. But they just have no clue how to manage an event. They really need to hire a brand new management staff. They are a joke. I don't have a problem with their personality, their beer, I have a problem with their lack of organization and professionalism. If they ever want to expand more they need to grow up and learn some good TQM and streamline process. This is armature stuff that they can't even grasp. I would hate to see their accounting books.
  22. bierenutz

bierenutz Savant (310) Michigan Jan 21, 2010

You're full of shit. You and the "vocal minority" that haven't been paying attention to how the releases have gone in the past couple of years need to wake up and stop whining when you show up later than you needed to get your bottles and then enjoy the taps and food. Why don't you do us all a favor and stop coming to these events so we do not have to read your drivel.
  23. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Sounds like you woke up late and have a lot of butt hurt.
  24. Kayn169

Kayn169 Savant (255) Illinois Jan 9, 2011

Ok, I got my case, and that is the only thing I wanted, so no "sour grapes" here on what I got. This was however a pourly run beer line. Seriously, I'd didn't matter I'd you we're 20th or 200th, still poorly run. After 1.5 hours, they only got through 30 ppl. How does that happen? I very much appriciate everything they did. Food was very interesting, and again very much appriciated. They don't have to put on events like this, but your can't complain about criticism when it takes that long to get through so few ppl.
    ravot likes this.
  25. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

If you didn't go to have a good time, then you were doing it wrong. It's those people who "Only wanted" to get their case, that got there too late to do so, who are now wielding pitch-forks saying how terrible Dark Horse is.

It's a great brewery. The tap list was CRAZY for this.... What more do you want? (other than the entitlement mentality to get every bottle that was listed, by waking up, scratching your butt for a couple hours, and showing up 8 hours after the line started?)
    JohnB87, Spartan213 and Mscarpen like this.
  26. Lansman

Sigh...I fear my "official" thread is about to be locked. It was a good run my friends.
    JohnB87, funhog, dblab33 and 2 others like this.
  27. Jparkanzky

Really? It all sells pretty well here.
    MichPaul likes this.
  28. Lukafer

Lukafer Savant (350) Michigan Dec 18, 2009

Cool story bro, get a hobby Dan.
    BreakingBad likes this.
  29. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

I thought my name was Dave
  30. pschul4

It was a valiant effort. And I'm sure that 99% of the people who went to 4elf (the people who had fun) appreciate threads like this so they can get to know others that are going as well
    woodchopper likes this.
  31. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (355) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

Thanks dark horse for another great time and loads of fun....

Woodchopper has left the building!!!!

Please turn out the lights :)
    kawilliams81 likes this.
  32. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

It's not "His" case though., he didn't get "A" case, but you can't say "You didn't get your case" It's not like Dark Horse was bottling beer, putting it in a cases, and as they came off the assembly line, there was a guy who pulled out a sharpie and wrote: BROHAMIDALI on it. He was never entitled to a case/4-pack/whatever to begin with, and the feeling that he WAS, is what is causing all of this butt-hurt now.
  33. I was # 279 and I was about 6 people away when they cut down the signs and acknowledged there was no more bbpt5 or bb monster 29. That was at about 9:30 or so PM. Was the draft list amazing? yes. Was the food and beer worth the $5. Yes. Was finding out that at 9 PM you could not get any of the beer you showed up at 10am to get very disappointing? Even more so.
  34. williamDbar

williamDbar Aficionado (210) Ohio Jul 5, 2012

I think the event went well. I got my case of BA Plead the 5th, my Monster & my BBL Monster...and I was 3 1/2 hrs away at work all day! I did it the old fashioned way...I hired a damn mule.
  35. Jparkanzky

When those guys get back, we'll have to hang out!

EDIT: Still got that Geueuzuzeuzueue for me?
  36. williamDbar

Yes we will! Maybe even this next weekend, that is if you aren't heading down to JO's.
  37. Jparkanzky

Head down to Jackie O's???? And spend 15 minutes in line for breakfast??? NO THANKS!

I demand my eggs and coffee in 8 minutes or less!

Watching Steve's check-ins, it looks like he had a BLAST at 4Elf. Did Bergitty end up going?
    MarkIntihar and Shagtastic like this.
  38. williamDbar

Yes I still have your Geueueueuze! Yes Bergitty went and he is already back home passed out on his couch from an over abundance of pizza and bitching about not having enough pizza. Him and Faulstich got back around 9.
    pschul4 likes this.
  39. pschul4

I dont even know what you guys are talking about and this got me lol'in

Cheers homies
    williamDbar likes this.
  40. GrueLurks

GrueLurks Aficionado (190) Michigan Jul 21, 2008

The markup on those Red Baron pizza's are incredible.
    BreakingBad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.