1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Official Dark Horse 4 Elf Party Thread

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Lansman, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Today was a lot of fun. Honestly, it was more fun than I expected it to be when I saw how massive the line was this morning. I went solo (due to some people backing out), and I ended up meeting up with a ton of people that I've hung out with at previous beer events over the past year. I even hooked up with a group of BA's for most of the day to grab a table and share pours of most of the taps. That was awesome. The comrarderie of the entire day was very enjoyable.

I got my token late: 328. So, yeah, I was late to the party, and I missed out on some bottles. But, some great BA's who were there earlier hooked me up with a few of the bottles of that a I really wanted: Monster, BB Monster, and BBPt5. In turn, I can now hook up my friends who could not come with a bottle each of two of the things they wanted. Relationships really are what make this a great hobby.

As for the bottle line? Yes, it was a mess. They really did need a few more people working registers and handing out beer. However, after 200-250 max last year, they didn't expect this, and they are already working hard to improve for next year. I talked to one of the guys working the cash register, and they all felt bad. They talked about cutting allotments, but they knew that would piss people off too. It was a no-win situation. All they can do is work at it and try to get better next year.

People need to remember: This is not a big brewery in a major city like Founders in Grand Rapids. This is a slasher/metal/skater brewpub in a town of 1000. Disappointment is understandable, but everyone has to cut the dudes some slack.

2. The bottle line really was absurd, there is little doubt about that. I had a good time, met some cool people and drank some really good beers from a great draft lineup. At #265, I would have probably gotten shut out, had it not been for the incredible generosity of a guy and his girl right behind me in line who were complete strangers at 11:00 this morning. At about 8 pm, the girl manages to get her two case allotment. In an act of sheer kindness, they offer to sell the second case to myself and the two other dudes who had been in line with us. We happily accepted but when I left the line to hit the ATM, it is of course, out of order. Screwed. When I tell the dude what happened, he shrugs, hands me two four packs of pt5 and says, "square up with me at the Kuhnhenn Party. If not--oh well, I can use the karma." Seriously one of the coolest things anyone has done for me in a long time. So to Andrew and Adrian, seriously..thank you guys so much. Yeah, I invested 10 hours of driving and line-standing for 8 beers, but I feel really damn good about it. Cheers, nice to know there are still good people out there!!

3. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I think I was behind that when it happened, and yes, that was a totally shitty situation that happened to that woman. Nobody deserves that. But I'm also not willing to blow up the staff for that. You know a lot of those people were volunteers, right?

Was it perfect? Absolutely not. Was it the worst beer event in the world? Not even close. And if you think that, I'd say you need to attend a few more to make that judgment call.

4. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

Absolutely amazing. Advocacy at its finest. This is what being a true BA is about. You got some beer and you had an awesome time. There are a lot of people who could learn from both parties here! Glad you enjoyed yourself

5. GrueLurks

GrueLurks Aficionado (190) Michigan Jul 21, 2008

I couldn't make it but I'm glad to know that my friends that did had an awesome time, planned ahead, got their beers and celebrated beer advocacy at it's finest even in the face of adversity. Cheers to beers!

steebo777 and northernbrews like this.
  6. I just got back, had a fantastic time despite not getting everything I was hoping for. Reading through this thread, my first thought (Warning this will piss people off), Breakingbad and all the other haters out there, shut the f*ck up already. If you had a shitty time, stay home next year, sorry you don't have 3 cases of BBpT5th to trade away and a drunken ass throwing beer is not Dark Horse's fault.

I've been to many brewery release parties and I've never left one with more respect and good feelings toward brewery than this one. Reasons:
    1.)11:30 am, staff comes out to tell everyone have a fantastic time, drink all you want but be safe. If you need a ride, the staff will personally give you one.
    2.) The free delicious food that they were constantly rolling out. Smoked salmon, boar bacon, bison, pork, lamb, venison etc..., all fantastic and made good times in line great.
    3.) 40+ taps of incredible beer that IMO moved quickly (5-6 min). If you were too drunk to see that there were 3-4 lines by the porta potties with essentially no one in it, sorry.
    4.) The staff again...always made it evident that they wanted everyone to have a great time. Helpful when asked questions, no deuchebag attitudes like many at a famous Indiana brewery.

Dark Horse had no way of predicting that attendance would double from last year. If you were 300+ in line, waited for X hours only to find out you got shut out, that sucks. But with the token system, it should have been damn clear to you that was a likely possibility the minute you received your token. (432 cases / 2 case limit = Token 216). The crazy world of craft beer releases these days exists because of the crazies like us. While breweries are adapting, it is unfair to expect a small time operation like DH to do so overnight. We all need to get used to the scene we've created.

Side note: Bourbon Monster was insanely good.

7. sullenbee

sullenbee Savant (340) Michigan Jan 15, 2010

How horrible. You guys got to stand around and drink amazing limited beer and socialize at a great brewery. I got to spend my day wishing I was there.

If you don't like to stand in line, don't go to beer releases! Save your effort and whining, and trade instead if you don't want to put in the time! Then everyone wins. But to say someone did a shitty job is mean and disrespectful to all the of people who put in hours of hard work for you to have a good time. I'm doubtful anyone of the staff intended for anyone to get upset today, but shit happens. Tiny brewery + demand/hype = lines. Face it, craft beer is having some major growing pains with its rising popularity. The little guys just can't keep up with the demand. Give em a break.

8. Clearly, Dark Horse should have been checking ID's so that only those people who have been supporting them -- locally for years -- could have gotten access to their beers.That's how you take care of the folks who have been supportive since Dark Horse has been little.

9. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (370) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

10. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (410) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

Surprised this is still going on.....we're the taps not flowin enough for you guys not to care about this petty stuff?

11. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

12. Kayn169

Kayn169 Savant (255) Illinois Jan 9, 2011

Huh? First off, way to edit my comment, to make it look like I was saying something I wasnt. I didnt say I didn't go to have fun, nor did I say I only came for bottles. I had a great time drinking with people. I didn't even stay in the line, just kept coming back to check on progress. I do feel bad for the people that did stay in line, and got a beer for a couple of them. I was just saying, I got the 1 case I had planned to buy. I didn't want any other bottles. No pitchforks here, as I said before, I very much appriciate the event they put on, but there are some things that can be worked on.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  13. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (785) Ohio May 29, 2005

I enjoyed myself but that's only because I didn't wait in the bottle line. My spot in line hit the bottle table about 5 hrs after the sale started...

It would be a smoother event if they decouple the bottle sales from the party. And start the bottle sale earlier in the day (why should anyone have to wait in line twice just to buy beer?). And pre-package a ton of cases as this is the format most people were buying.

Positive notes: Allowing people to line up inside the gate for the morning line so we could all bottle share. Best part of the day. The food was great too, second best part of the day.

14. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (270) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

Had a great time even though I did get shut out on my BBBL Plead the 5th. I still met some great beer advocates and drank some great beers before they ran out. I will be back next year and many times before next years party. Keep up the great work Dark Horse!

raymo55 likes this.
  15. For me, this sums up the day nicely. I had a good time and I think the DH crew did their best, but they can't even fit 400 people in the space available. Let alone feed, serve beer, sell beer, etc to all those people. I went to the taps first thing and immediately knew having only 2 portajohns would likely not work out well in the end.

16. denimdemon

denimdemon Savant (420) Indiana Mar 8, 2009

No, not the staff's fault it happened in the least, though they could have done more to placate a distressed customer (who incidentally has spent a lot of money on their products and at the pub and talking them up to friends and family, though that's actually irrelevant to this post) and try to make a situation better than just shrug. All it would have taken was an "I'm truly sorry that happened to you," but no one even gave her that much. Maybe shellshock had set in or tiredness or just being sick of dealing with a bunch of assholes all day. To me though the party and incidents experienced were just more indication of where the BA-driven world of "rare beer" is going and has gone. Serious business, basically. For me personally, at least, I think I'm going to step away from non-ticketed events for a while, just because this kinda makes me hate a hobby I've enjoyed for several years and also makes me feel like a lot of people dominating the hobby are assholes and morons (which could arguably be true) instead of decent humans (which, when you talk to people in line for a couple hours also often winds up being true). Some situations bring out people's best and some the worst and for me, this was a mix of both. It's a covetous beverage driving us, to be sure, but hey...it's just beer. With that, I've probably said enough on the subject of the party.

17. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Here's your entire quote. I was just highlighting the part I was referring to, I didn't edit your comment:

I guess "Ok, I got my case, and that is the only thing I wanted, so no "sour grapes" here"

Means something else to you????????? The way you said it implies that the bottles were the main reason for you going, which is just silly. Either way, I'll assume you were just a little drunk from the great tap-list, and didn't word it very well.

18. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (345) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

This whole thing is just ridiculous at this point. Not everyone will go home happy every time.

JohnB87 and woodchopper like this.
  19. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (340) Michigan May 30, 2010

Maybe he was revering to the ticket lines, which were quite long at times.

20. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Locking this one down due to too many reports, and my getting tired of cleaning it up. Some BAs will find themselves in posting timeouts as a result.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.