1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Official FOBAB Countdown Thread

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Tnudish, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Extra Vanilla or "Extra anything" is hard to quantify.. and really something.. as far as a beer database standpoint.. that really opens a big loophole that any site should try to avoid. The beer is the same in ingredients.. it just has some "extra" of something.

Sounds like an alt, fwiw.

But then again, everyone has their own opinion.

The way I think of it is it's like saying "This batch of Coffee BCS has EXTRA Coffee".. would that really be a new beer? No.. it's essentially a tweak to a batch. I'm sure it tasted great.. but from an organizational approach, it would be hard to seperate that specific beer out.

Certainly if it were an entirely different adjunct, treatment, or ingredient.. then ok, let's seperate that out. But I don't think it's as cut-and-dry here as some may think.

Dontcounttoday likes this.
  2. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (410) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

A pinch off topic but does anyone know why the one dude was thrown out from the early session? Inquiring mind(s) want to know.

3. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (340) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Did you check this post out?

"All Abraxas has cocoa nibs, vanilla beans, anchos, and cinnamon sticks in it.
    Vanilla Bean Abraxas has 5 times the beans, and we have only made 2 1/6bbls of it for special events.
    BA Abraxas is just Abraxas in barrels...
    This past weekend we had BA Abraxas at FOBAB, VB with extra chiles Abraxas at FH, and Abraxas at West Lakeview and SmallBar.
    Glad to see that most seem to enjoy our hard work!

Cheers,
    Cory King
    Head Brewer
    Perennial Artisan Ales"

Hard to argue with the brewer.

4. DROOO

DROOO Aficionado (205) Illinois May 5, 2009

second session. was excited to try it. unfortunately was overly acedic for my tastes.

Dontcounttoday likes this.
  5. You know I can't read, Dan.

FWIW, we frequently do differ from a brewer's interpretation..

5x is quite a bit though.

dvelcich and Gonzoillini like this.
  6. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

I was first session. Did not like Hawaii at all. Apricot was good, but didn't feel it was special. Tried the other two near the end when my palate was destroyed so I won't comment on those.

7. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

If a beer is marketed as something other than the original and it has a different recipe then it should be listed as a a different beer. If it is marketed as coffee bcs and there is more coffee then it is just a batch variation and should be noted but no much more than different vintages of the same beer. Pretty simple if you ask me.

8. It was definitely interesting and I'm glad I tried it, but it's pretty hard for any beverage to live up to that name.

burica2020 likes this.
  9. RC0032

RC0032 Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 10, 2009

Apparently using the woman's restroom.

10. RC0032

Big disappoint for me with Destihl this year. Hawaii and Strawberry were both letdowns. Gave up after those two.

Anyone else?

11. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

I loved BA and regular abraxus and had every intention of going Sunday to small bar...until I woke up Sunday.

12. jegross2

But dosvidanya was pretty damn tasty. So was their super rye forward barleywine

13. Just wanted to add another, "Great event!" comment. Towards the end, I finally managed to put some faces to BA usernames -- sadly, it was towards the end and my mental retention was, uh, compromised something terrible by then. Still!

I really enjoyed the BA Abraxus -- very strong on the cinnamon, and I doubt I could ever drink more than 6oz., but what a fun beer. I had no idea Avery made wild ales and I loved what I had from them. The Lost Abbey beers, too. I definitely hit a wall early on with BA stouts -- possibly why something like BA Abraxus sticks out more, or the wilds/sours. More than anything, it was just fun to try new/different/oddball/crazy things. I don't know if I would ever buy a glass of Cigar City's Peach Humidor IPA at a bar, but I'm damn glad I got to try it at least once.

I ran into one group of guys who managed to try every single beer between them. That takes coordination. And dedication (sounds like new names for Russian River sours).

The program was a bit of a mess, though. I think it's fine to have everything listed by style, but then you have the description at the back, grouped by brewery. There was a lot of awkward flipping once I got to a particular table. Or maybe include something on the piece of paper that was used to identify a given beer number? Minor quality-of-life comments, though.

14. jegross2

You mean when I was sweating like a pig after running the gauntlet on all the stouts over the first hour before needing to sit down for 15 mins before seeking fresh air? 215-245 was a rough 30 min patch for me

15. RC0032

valid I was referencing their sours which have won the past few years.

dosvidanyawas very tasty!

16. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (415) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

I miss the old venue. I was at the second session. Basically all the reasons that I liked this festival above others, beyond the beer, went away with the new venue. It was overly crowded. I couldn't do anything without bumping into someone. This also made it pretty hot. The line to get in was very slow. I think the coat check was the bottleneck. It was in the same line as the ticket takers and only one person was working it. By the time I got in, many beers were already gone, or didn't even make it to the second session at all. The guys at the bottles table said they only had 2 bottles of Rasp Wild One for the second session.

Apparently I am the only one who thought this, so maybe it is just me. New venues for festivals are generally painful the first year, hopefully they learn.

17. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I wouldn't say overly crowded, just poor placement of the most desirable beers. The sours in that tight corner was a pita.

ravot likes this.
  18. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Anyone know specific beers that were present in the afternoon session and didn't make it to the evening one? I haven't heard of any....

19. I was roaming around post Afternoon Session between VIP and watching them set-up/clean-up for 2nd Session. Can confirm everything was there for Evening.

20. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

it was 55 degrees, these folks should have brought long sleeves. ;)
    but yeah, that was definitely a bottle neck. i guess it got colder in the evening but the line was smooth. the coat check should have been after receiving your glass. hopefully they read these comments and use up the feedback. the beginning of the first session was a PITA but maybe a half hour later to an hour it was crowded but it felt like it simmer down once people knew where things were. people get going back to their standing areas. i'm not a fan of crowds but this one didn't throw me off.
    this was my first fobab and i enjoyed the venue. the old venue, how many times was it before it got moved?

i was at the first session and about an hour and a half left, there must have been about 7 bottles of Wild One on the ice Bin and there was no line for that. it was also one of my favorites. a lot of tart and i like me some tart.

Etan likes this.
  21. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (410) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

are we all pretending the that hot corner by the sours wasn't known as the BO & fart corner? Jesus I sniffed the nose of track #9 and I think someone farted into my glass.

22. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Agree with most of the comments thus far. We were at the first session and arrived 30 minutes before 12 PM, got into the venue at about 12:25, thus missing out on the promised 'ONE HOUR EARLY' entry to FoBAB benefit, even though we were maybe 40th in line. Last year's entry was much smoother. It wasn't the coat check holding things up when we went through the line, it was the 'hand ticket to person A, then wait until person B is available to look up your name on list of IMBIBE members' that really created the bottleneck.

Biggest Success - Goose Island (by far) - wow, really brought the house- the tasting paddle was phenomenal with Apple Brandy BCBS and Napa County BCBS being the clear standouts. (The renaming of XOCOLATL to Mayan Gold initially threw us off, big thanks to goes out to Jared for putting us back on track)
    Biggest Disappointment - Destihl sours
    Biggest Surprise - Cigar City(!) making an appearance (no Hunahpu, but hey, maybe next year)

Overall, a nice venue, though to repeat what everyone else has said, it might be better next year to change the layout such that the long area of the hall is used for the high demand offerings for easier access - the 8000-10000 numbered beers all being at the one small end by the VIP area created quite the crowd, and significantly increased the temperature of the place on that end.

Looking forward to attending this great event next year. Cheers to Pete and his team for another outstanding event overall.

23. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Anyone find it ironic that the sinks and bathroom set up (plumbing) was head and shoulders above the facilities at the previous location, also known as the Plumbers Hall? Hmmm.

24. Just a clarification:

Napa County wasn't at the Fest. A Pinot Noir barrel version was.

Napa = Brett Brux and Merlot

25. Lansman

Laffler confirmed at the event that the barrels used were Merlot barrels, hence my thinking it was Napa County Stout. My apologies if it was slightly different - it certainly tasted very similar to what I previously had a lot of back in March, to the best of my recollection.

26. Great to know about the Merlot.

But yeah, the other one was wild as wild can be.

27. Mjmoser

Anyone have any insight into what wine barrels the BCS was aged in? Would love to know and when I asked Laffler on Sat he simple said he didn't know (although more like didn't care at the time). This beer was prolly my highlight of the night, and was even better when sipped in a full glass.

28. RC0032

+1 on not liking the venue. It was very nice just poor location; good F'ing luck finding a cab or easy public transportation & poor layout.

29. Mjmoser

Thanks, glad to hear the late session didn't miss out on anything...

30. mdomask

mdomask Savant (310) Illinois May 27, 2012

Summary of FoBAB for me:
    Event was great. Amazing beer selection.

If it's at the same venue next year, I'm taking the stairs. Stupid hour in a broken elevator.

robbiemoy13 likes this.
  31. Lansman

Make sure you let us know if the guild follows up on anything for you guys and gals trapped in the elevator! That must have been extremely frustrating being so close to the action to be stopped like that for such a long period of time.

robbiemoy13 likes this.
  32. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Oh yea, one more thing:

Quit standing in groups a foot away from the pouring tables you Neanderthals.

Zeller12, MarcatGSB, BUNZILLA and 6 others like this.
  33. CTA Red Line to 35th St. bus is really that difficult?

ravot and burica2020 like this.
  34. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

Well, I will say that my pessimism earlier in this thread was proven to be pretty silly. I expected more breweries to drop out with the additional beer requirements.

I wonder if the wild beer category (#9) was the casualty of this or if breweries just chose to bring other stuff. Only 9 entries this year as opposed to 18 in 2011. It seemed like there were less overtly weird beers this year, but I could just be projecting.

I thought the fickle Lost Abbey would bring less, but they brought the house. It was great to see Cigar City in attendance. No Upland was a bit of a surprise.

Overall, I thought the quality of the beers I had was very, very high. I also liked how the beer was transferred to pitchers before being poured... this led to fewer tap problems and pourers screwing around with the jockey boxes in my experience.

I also did not wait in line for anything besides the Bourbon County barrel extravaganza, which was an improvement from the past two years. (I didn't want Cherry Rye or King Henry, so that may be part of it)

Just an awesome time seeing friends and drinking great beer.

Bay01 likes this.
  35. otrejo

otrejo Savant (275) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

Boston Beer Co. wasn't there this year. I guess they didn't want to bring 10 gallons of Utopias.

36. Surly, Founders (although I guess Bolt Cutter was available for VIP), Upland, FiftyFifty and Half Acre were the main ones I remember from past years not being there this year. But there were definitely a good number of new breweries this year that made up for it.

37. Yeah, I was suprised to run into a Bolt Cutter keg in the VIP area during the off hour..

38. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Ya, I was referring to Tartare. I cant really offer much more than I didnt really like the Bubba, it was talked up to me prior to heading in (and subsequently the first beer I grabbed) and I drank about half of the glass and then dumped the rest. I thought Tartare had a much cleaner, brighter tartness to it. Sorry we didnt end up meeting up this weekend by the way, lets make a point of opening some bottles together at 4 Elf.

What this guy said. All the Destihl stuff was almost abrasively sour, muted fruit, and way to acedic. They actually almost kinda reminded me of Old Growth in a way.

39. Mjmoser

I thought Half Acre had commented that they were coming? I guess in all the beer greatness I didn't even think about them. Also surprised CW didn't bring 1414, especially after the Gold at GABF...

40. JmH

JmH Aficionado (135) Illinois Jun 6, 2012

I talked to that dude Brian from Goose Island (not sure if you were still at the table with us at the time) and albeit hammered, he said that they were simply "red wine barrels". Wasn't able to give any further detail than that.