1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Official FOBAB Countdown Thread

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Tnudish, Oct 17, 2012.

1. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (400) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

Did I miss local option and spiteful, thought both were going to have something but that damn program didn't equate to reading after 5 pours?
  2. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Yes, LO brought Kentucky Common and I did see one Spiteful beer but don't recall the name.
  3. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

I was told they were cabernet barrels, I dont know what kind of cabernet they held though
  4. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

Re: the venue -- as I wandered around Union Station trying to find a bathroom without a line after coming in via train (the station was mobbed due to the Festival of Lights on Michigan Avenue), I couldn't help but to think that the Great Hall at Union Station would've made a nice FOBAB site for those who didn't want to drive to a heavy-beer fest....
  5. I was told Cabernet barrels as well.
  6. And I think Le Petite Mort was there -- listed under Central Waters, though.
  7. Bay01

Yup, just remembered I had that one also.
  8. otrejo

otrejo Savant (270) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

Spiteful brought GFY Stout
  9. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

That may be true, but it felt that way no matter where I was. Again maybe it is just me. Maybe it just isn't as open as the old place.
  10. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

At least the previous 3 years were at that venue.
  11. RC0032

RC0032 Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 10, 2009

For the most part yes.
  12. 2008-2011 saw the Plumbers Union Hall as FoBAB's home.

My first was 2008, so I never saw 2007 and before.. all at Goose Wrigleyville.
  13. My first time a FOBAB.

Standouts: Stone Suitable for Cave Aging, Jester King Commercial Suicide, Cuvee de Bubba, Yelps Pig Slop "Boar" and Pig Slop "Sow", All of the Lost Abbey Track (#8, #9, & #10), New Belgium Dunkel Apple, Avery Odic Equum and Oud Floris.

Very upset that I didnt get to try BSC Cherry Rye or Blueberry Flanders. Also, how in the F- did I miss the "one beer, four barrels" thing?! It was hot, but I was comfortable in a T-shirt. All the volunteers were helpful and the venue was gorgeous, but cramped. The corners got very packed. I'll definitely be "refreshing" come ticket time next year.
  14. Sorry to hear that. The 2012 CBS Brewpub Shoot-out was at the Zhou B. Arts Center which is all of three blocks away from where you were and I had zero trouble getting to and fro.
    Bay01 likes this.
  15. 0zzzie19

0zzzie19 Aficionado (130) Illinois Dec 20, 2008

I am a sweaty sweaty man and was wearing a heavy Hawks hoodie and had no problem with the heat whatsoever (afternoon session). BA Abraxas was in a class of its own. Unfortunately/fortunately, I made the early decision to drink it in case it kicked because it was my #1 target. After that, nothing really compared and my taste buds were blown. My buddy had just spoken to Tomme Arthur and he recommended Track 8 so I had that next. From the description it sounded similar to BA Abraxas. I'm sure in the real world, Track 8 is mind blowing, but in the FoBAB world, it couldn't hold a candle to BA Abraxas. .357 brett was also one of my first tastes and it was really unique and stood out.
  16. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Did you try smaug's breath, imo that is what a chile stout shoudl be.
  17. Ha, saw that dude try for the women's head since the men's line was long and watched the bouncer chase him down and pull him out, didn't realize he got tossed for it.
  18. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (595) Illinois Apr 15, 2011

That bouncer near the bathrooms and stairwell was a big dude.
  19. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

Yet another insane, amazing FOBAB. To get the negative out of the way first, as beautiful, classy and cool as the new venue was, I prefer the Plumbers Hall for the more basic advantages of location and breathing room - not to mention ease of finding a cab (it took our group well over a half hour, but we got lucky; it could easily have taken another hour).

Favorites of the night included: Haymarket Claire's Thirsty, GI Clybourne Hansel & Gretel, GI Wrigleyville Mayan Chocolate, GI Buffalo Trace BCBS, Denali Louisville Sour and Bells Barrel Aged Batch 9000. It seems to be one of the more divisive beers, but I thought the Destihl Hawaii was fantastic too. Wine barrel BCBS was pretty interesting; I liked it more as a dark sour than as a BCBS variant, if that makes any sense.

Oh, and not that there wasn't plenty of great stuff to drink, but it's always a bummer when breweries really phone it in. I'm looking at you Boulevard, Great Divide, Schlafly and Stone (Oaked Arrogant Bastard? Really?!).
    jegross2 likes this.
  20. otrejo

otrejo Savant (270) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

I was a fan of Stone's Suitable for Cave Aging.
    stevegoz likes this.
  21. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (705) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

I was really hoping to see BA speedway and BA decadence when I saw stone was gonna be there
    mattizmyname likes this.
  22. Tnudish

Ugh, what?
  23. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

I hope you were drinking away your sorrows from the Bears loss when you posted this.....
  24. jegross2

Sigh. IT WAS A JOKE PEOPLE.
  25. Tnudish

26. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Funny?.... :-?
  27. jegross2

Joke was i was hoping stone would leave the crap they brought at home and bring some REAL CA beer...oh well. #Fail
    mattizmyname likes this.
  28. RC0032

RC0032 Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 10, 2009

From CBS:

burica2020 likes this.
  29. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (400) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

Is anyone else pissed Firestone walker didn't bring beautification, salvation or any other -ations? (Was this joke beat to death already?)
    Mjmoser and mattizmyname like this.
  30. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

I didn't understand the joke and I won't respond to it.
  31. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

In regards to Boulevard, I've been lucky enough to try most of their offerings, but the rest of my Michigan brethren, have never had any of them. So to them, Rye in Rye is a cool sample.
  32. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

I understand that not all breweries have to go to every event, but does anyone know why Founders, The Livery, Greenbush, or Dark Horse didn't attend FoBAB (again)? Just curious seeing that these breweries attend near every other Midwest beer festival.
  33. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (225) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

Maybe Founders was spread too thin with the Bolt Cutter release.
  34. CMB2012

CMB2012 Aficionado (245) Illinois Nov 26, 2008

Not to mention their Anniversary party was the same day, correct?
  35. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

Founders sent Bolt Cutter, but it was in the VIP lounge... and they did bring beer to 2010 FoBAB as well.

For Dark Horse, it seems like they mostly stick to Michigan events (where they kill it) and Great Taste. Maybe they don't want to send their beer to IL for free.
  36. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

IBG is scurred of SW MI, boom.
  37. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

I saw the untapped keg in the lounge throughout the first session - did that eventually get tapped? I left with about an hour to go in the first session.
  38. Bay01

Yup, had it during the second session.
  39. As mentioned before, breweries were obliged to bring twice as much beer this year than in the past. Maybe Dark Horse, or anyone else, just didn't have large enough batches of barrel-aged beers to be able to send some to Chicago.
  40. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

I just want to agree that BA Abraxas blew my skirt up more than Track 8 (which, on a normal day, would have been just unbelievable) and to add that I thought Claire's was more interesting than BCBS Cherry, though again...

It's weird to me, what these kinds of focused tastings do to you, as compared to line bottle shares etc, where everything is a mish-mosh. Beers that I used to think were great (like Black Note) seemed downright ordinary... and beers that have far less name appeal buzz were often rock stars.

Great times, awesome event, and good to bump into so many great BA's there!