1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Official Great Taste of the Midwest Thread

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Tnudish, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Haven't seen much talk about it and we are a couple short weeks away, so here is what I have seen so far in terms of pre-parties:

-Central Waters/Short's/Nebraska @ Brickhouse BBQ
    -Bell's Night @ Maduro 12 PM-?
    -Destihl @ Brasserie V 5 PM-?
    -Toppling Goliath @ Dexter's 11 AM-?
    -Goose Island @ Madison's
    -Potosi @ Harmony

2. Tnudish

Founders lineup:

ALL DAY

Centennial IPA
    All Day IPA
    Red’s Rye PA
    Cerise
    Dirty Bastard
    TIMED TAPPINGS

1pm: Breakfast Stout (2012 batch)

2pm: Frangelic Mountain Brown

3pm: Curmudgeon’s Better Half

4pm: Devil Dancer

5pm: KBS

3. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Savant (285) Colorado Apr 4, 2012

Three Floyds will be at the Argus again
    Six Point will be at Merchant
    New Holland will by at the Tipsy Cow
    Founders will be at the Glass Nickel (Atwood)

4. Tnudish

Nice, thanks! Six Point is kinda random to show up, no?

5. bpfrush

bpfrush Advocate (580) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Sixpoint's founder is from Madison.

6. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (440) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

Glad someone started this thread, and had more info than me.

7. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

awesome tappings. bummer i won't get there until saturday.

8. Tnudish

No worries, just relaying it from thebeerspot honestly. Some other info about the Maduro Bell's Night:

#15 - Bourbon Barrel Aged Amber
    #16 - Bourbon Barrel Aged Best Brown

9. mishuggah

mishuggah Savant (275) Illinois Jul 14, 2009

I predict you both meeting in Madison!

So looking forward to that weekend.

10. Dactrius

Dactrius Advocate (540) Wisconsin Apr 23, 2012

Why do so many of these events start so early? I don't want to have to take the afternoon off of work to get some black note. In previous years have they tapped everything right away and run out before us working folks could get there? I used to foolishly think that I would get my fill of beer on Saturday so no need for the pre-parties...I've wizened up, those pre-parties are too good to pass up.

11. ...It's really worth it to take Friday off. I take Monday off too. Every year.

You really need to think of Friday as an extension of the festival.

They start early because a lot of the breweries associated with the events have to be at the fest at 9:30-10 the next morning for set up and be in a fairly functional state for the day.

Plus, wouldn't you rather get a bunch of events in earlier as opposed to later?

12. redblacks75

If I can take a paid day off to drink great beers only three hours away from home, then I'm all in. Friday off for sure, and this year I made sure to take off Monday as well.

13. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Savant (285) Colorado Apr 4, 2012

I don't know about that. Last year at the Three Floyds event at the Argus the tappings got better and better as the night went on and finished with a Vanilla DL tapping at 9:00

14. Dactrius

Dactrius Advocate (540) Wisconsin Apr 23, 2012

That's what I wanted to hear, I don't want to show up at 7 and find out that everything exciting was tapped out by 2 in the afternoon.

And why are people taking Monday off? I've been known to get a 2 day hangover but not take off of work bad, and the GT never screws me up too bad because I'm done drinking by 6. Are there events on Sunday I've been missing out on?

15. I take Monday off because I make it a small vacation. I also travel, albeit only from Chicagoland. I use Monday to get back to life.. get back on the workout train.. get groceries.. relax.. etc..

The FFF event last year was very crowded. They kept putting off the tappings too.. I don't think any were on time.

redblacks75 likes this.
  16. redblacks75

I take Monday off to get back in the swing of things. After driving a few hours to get there Friday, then drinking from noon until midnight, and then drinking for a good portion of Saturday, then having to drive home Sunday... Monday sounds like a good day to take off. I have to use these vacation days for something.

17. I do ;)

redblacks75 likes this.
  18. pk18

pk18 Savant (290) Wisconsin Jun 12, 2012

Has anyone heard anything about other breweries' special tappings?

19. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (775) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

20. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (775) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Stolen with respect from The Beer Spot...there's a reason we've camped out at the Brickhouse the past three years! Just Central Waters is reason enough to plant one's ass & not move, & who knows what Nebraska & Short's might be bringing.

Central Waters Tap List
    Posted Friday, July 27th, 2012 by Tip Top
    I'm excited to announce the tap list for Central Waters. I've always been told that there was no way that Central Waters was going to let another brewery show it up on it's home turf. Well, they sure deliver. This year's tap list is even better than last year's impressive list.
    On Tap Right From the Start

• Happy Heron Pale Ale
    • Mudpuppy Porter
    • Oisconsin Red Ale
    • Glacial Trail IPA
    • Satin Solstice Imperial Stout
    • Shine On
    • Belgian Blonde
    • Honey Blonde
    • Oktoberfest
    • Bourbon Barrel Cherry Stout
    • Y2K Barleywine 2011
    • Peruvian Morning 2011
    • La Petite Mort
    • Bourbon Barrel Barleywine 2011
    • Bourbon Barrel Stout
    I'm also told that there will be a firkin on all night, but I'm not sure what it will be yet. You'd think this is enough, but there are timed releases too...
    Time Releases

• 7pm - Barrel Aged Slainte Scotch Ale
    • 8pm - Barrel Aged La Petite Mort
    • 9pm - Exodus
    • 10pm - 1414

21. EROCK75

EROCK75 Savant (340) Illinois Aug 5, 2009

Decent line up but have to say I don't see me spending any time there having tastes of things that have all been released. At least last year they brought Cashew, something never bottled only on tap. I know not all places will bring super secret one time only specials, but it's always nice to be able to try the non-bottled distro brews that places save for in house tap only. Still love what Founders does.

22. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (725) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Now, to pick between 1414 and a special bells or FFF tapping...

...or to hold out and hope for GI bringing Henry and vanilla...

gpawned likes this.
  23. Tnudish

I wonder what a stein of BA Baracus will cost me at the Essen Haus...

24. jegross2

Damn! I have to pick between argus, essenhaus and brickhouse....decisions decisions...

redblacks75 likes this.
  25. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (810) Washington May 12, 2005

Good info - Wish all those CW tappings weren't so late. The key to a successful pre-fest Friday is to start and end early.

Bell's taplist varies greatly from year to year, but that looks a lot like last year. I'll probably hit Maduro very early to avoid the excess smoke and crowds.

I'm very interested in hearing what Destihl brings to Brasserie V.

I gave Argus a shot last year and it was horrible. It doesn't help that I really hate that place to begin with, but we had just about no luck getting anything on tap. I'm pretty sure I walked out cursing the place.

26. jegross2

I'll be hosting a small tasting early Friday too. Like a 1-2 bottles per person thing. If you are interested, shoot me a BM. Looks like we will have a nice little group so far

27. jegross2

I have some information on Friday night

At essen haus (Rev Brew), Revolution will be bringing Rosa, Cross of Gold, Eugene, Double Fist and a batch of Institutionalized that was made for the tap takeover. I feel like there was also one other tap the person I spoke to mentioned would be there (and if there is, I assume it would be Antihero).

28. Anyone have any information on transportation to and from Chicago? Was looking to come back Saturday night.

29. jegross2

Megabus.com

30. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

I'll be driving from Chicago to the Great Taste (haven't decided if we are going on Friday or Saturday). Message me if you want to carpool. I have 1 or 2 open seats.

31. Actually that would be great. Will BM you with info tonight. Driving up either day would work, but would prefer to come back saturday night.

gpawned likes this.
  32. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (170) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

I'd love a ride back to Chicago from someone that drank (mostly) high gravity beers for 5 consecutive hours.

richkrull and Duff27 like this.
  33. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Ha. I did it last year and was completely sober when we left. Though we stuck around Madison for dinner to give me a couple extra hours.

34. pk18

pk18 Savant (290) Wisconsin Jun 12, 2012

Bell's just released their lineup for the Taste. No special tappings times yet (sadly for those who are making a cheat sheet).

Here is what we will have at the festival on August 11:
    • Wedding Ale
    • Round House
    • Black Note
    • Smoked Vienna Lager
    • Harvest Ale
    • Le Batteur
    • Two Hearted
    • Amber
    • Oberon
    • Oarsman
    • Pale Ale
    • Oracle
    • Hopsoulution
    • Bourbon Barrel Aged Amber Ale
    • Bourbon Barrel Aged Best Brown
    • Raspberry Wild One
    • Third Coast Old Ale (2011)
    • Cherry Stout (2011)
    • Two Hearted firkin
    • Pale Ale firkin
    http://www.bellsbeer.com/blog/119-T...f_the_Midwest__Maduro_tap_takeover_beer_lists

35. psychotia

psychotia Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

My favorite parts of the festival are when many of the attendees line up for a limited tapping at <insert brewery>, making the rest of the grounds more intimate. That being said (and not having seen the full program) I could very well end up in one of those lines.

Can't wait.

36. [/quote]"I gave Argus a shot last year and it was horrible. It doesn't help that I really hate that place to begin with, but we had just about no luck getting anything on tap. I'm pretty sure I walked out cursing the place.[/quote]

That makes two of us, what a clusterf$%#!

37. BeerBob26

BeerBob26 Aficionado (155) Illinois Mar 22, 2012

Anyone traveling from NWI/Chi burbs? I could use help completing an IP trade with a
    Fellow BA at the fest. I'll toss ya a brew or 2 for your time. If interested shoot me a message.

Thanks!

38. BeerBob26

BeerBob26 Aficionado (155) Illinois Mar 22, 2012

I got this taken care of if it goes down. Thanks!