1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Official Great Taste of the Midwest Thread

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Tnudish, Jul 26, 2012.

1. ravot

ravot Savant (435) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

ISO: a ton of beer
    Mjmoser and Jerktookmyname like this.
  2. For what it's worth, I went with my sister and a bunch of her friends last year, and they were all like "Surly, what?" They were probably the average festival attendees.
  3. thetomG

thetomG Savant (430) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

Also worth mentioning is that the attendence is typically capped at 6,000 so even though craft beer keeps getting bigger, the number of ppl at this fest stays manageable....
  4. This was definitely true for Goose Island and Founder's special tappings.....Three Floyds somewhat.

This is why I decided to go have several tastes of Town Hall's Russian Roulette (probably my favorite of the fest) and Tank Monkey instead of waiting forever for BCS Neapolitan. Also, Surly's line wasn't that bad, it was relatively easy to get pours of their anniversaries, etc.
  5. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Having been one of those attendees who lined up really early that stormy day back in May(?) to get tickets to the Great Taste, I can attest to the fact that it would be difficult to call the majority of those who also stood in line that morning (some beginning as early as 9 PM the night before) "casual" beer drinkers. Maybe that was just my impression talking with a lot of people in line - everyone seemed to be quite knowledgeable about the Midwest beer scene, which makes me think that my attempt to get 25% of the stuff I have identified would be unreasonable. As such, I plan on just having a great time and getting what I can, going with the flow, and avoiding the 1 hour+ ridiculous lines for stuff that really isn't worth it.
  6. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (345) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

$300 was what I had in mind.

Some of us need a coping mechanism for the alternative plans we agreed to long ago. I will be attending a State Fair and local theatre production.

[​IMG]
  7. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Not sure why people feel the need to spend their entire day at Goose, FFF, and Surly. Sure, I will probably swing by for a beer at each, but the opportunity to try most of that shit has been there and will be there again. I'm looking forward to trying all the new stuff I have no exposure to. Cant wait to finally try some Free State, will definitely post up at Perennial for awhile, and definitely plan on swinging by Dave's Brew Farm.
    polishkaz and dirtylou like this.
  8. beerbelly

beerbelly Aficionado (110) Illinois Dec 30, 2005

I can't make it on Friday cause I have to work that night so I guess get there at 11. Going to try craigslist too and see if anyone selling tix there. Got another question, why don't they sell tickets online like other fests via PayPal or etix etc?
  9. jverdo1

jverdo1 Aficionado (135) Illinois Apr 5, 2012

Not exactly true - 5000 Tickets are sold every year but the free tickets are always increasing.
  10. thetomG

Ahhh ok - I stand corrected!

Knew it was somewhere around there... my point is still valid - its a remarkably well managed festival ;)
  11. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

DON'T RUIN FREE STATE FOR ME.
    FlssmrBrewAlum likes this.
  12. jverdo1

jverdo1 Aficionado (135) Illinois Apr 5, 2012

Comment on Lines and Special Releases for the New People to the Taste...

The lines at Surly are never that bad - Surly is unknown to the average person attending the festival. Goose Island, 3Floyds, & Founders to a lesser extent this year will have lines. You want Darkload, King Henry, BCBS * or KBS - you will wait in line or run the risk of not getting a sample.

And before I get hate mail for this statement - I respect the fact that 3Floyds makes good beer but the way they run this festival is BS. The Darklord line will take 20 to 30 minutes once the keg taps because they are the worst at it - its almost like they have never been to a beer festival before. Bring multiple kegs, fill pitchers before the tap time, do anything to prevent one person at a time getting their glass filled!

I've been to the taste numerous times (Last year was the worst for lines) and my advise to everyone is pick 2 to 3 special releases and check the lines 45 to 60 minutes before the release. Its not like there will not be other beer to sample only a few feet away. Once the line starts to form get one last sample and get in line. If you have multiple people in your party - send them for other samples while most of your party waits in line. Don't be the <insert word here> that is standing in line by yourself and right before the tap time 20 people show up. Also remember that it takes time to get your pour - it's real easy to waste 45+ minutes.

And the final comment on this topic - I work with one of the members and he waited almost two hours for Dark Lord Vanilla last year.
  13. Whoa whoa whoa.. let's let the "OMG RAR BEERS" nubs wait in line and.stop throwing out names of quality brewers with rare beers without fanfare that the seasoned pros will be going after..

;)
  14. madtowndmb1

madtowndmb1 Savant (360) Wisconsin Oct 17, 2007

Nothing on internal Emails within the club on the program yet....
  15. madtowndmb1

Always one of my favorite breweries at the Taste!
    dirtylou likes this.
  16. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

If what you guys speak of is true as far as hideous lines at Goose, 3F, Founders, etc, this will likely be the most enjoyable fest yet for those of us who have long-since stopped visiting those tents.

17. Matt told me the special keg is either of the following (which I already reported elsewhere and Tnudish did not report)
    St Dekkera Flanders
    St Dekkera Apricot
    Both

I'll be there at 5. I did shave my beard but will be as big, jolly, and young and wearing glasses as ever.

Don't be shy, folks.
  18. PS - St.Dekkera Apricot is the.real deal.

All of the fruit sours.we've been putting out have more fruit and less acedic excess this year. The guys are learning to pull the barrels a little younger.. and as a true sourhead I can tell you it is paying dividends
  19. madtowndmb1

My Dad has a restaurant right down the street from the Bloomington location and I swing every time I'm down there! Those sours are always great, to bad growler fills of them went up $65 from the $35 I used to pay. Still get one though;)
  20. So you're a part of Destihl?
  21. I do a lot of social media help and serve a lot of festivals for DESTIHL, yes.

I'm also a database admin for RateBeer.

I've never withheld or dodged putting out any of this info.

Cheers
  22. madtowndmb1

The GTotM iPhone App just updated on my phone! It may have the line-up
  23. madtowndmb1

It seems to have ALL the info on it
  24. Tnudish

Didn't change on mine? Still last years lineup
  25. Lansman

Interesting, my Android App is showing the exact same thing as before the update - absolutely nothing.
  26. madtowndmb1

Maybe since I'm in Madison the signal got to me first
  27. Update available this morning for IPhone. iOS 5 required.
  28. xsists

xsists Aficionado (200) Wisconsin Dec 31, 2007

What is the app called? I can't seem to find the Android app in the Play Store.
  29. Tnudish

I had to redownload the app this morning, but it's working now
  30. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (505) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

Android App is up.
    redblacks75 and bauermj like this.
  31. Lansman

I was kidding because it hadn't been released yet. :)
  32. thetomG

33. Lansman

Looks like Half Acre added a few specialties (found in the app) not listed in the program released earlier this week. Anyone else notice additional beers not listed previously?
  34. Tnudish

Looked through all the main stuff I want to hit and didn't see anything new popping out. Excited to try the BA Dripping.
  35. revo2008

revo2008 Zealot (85) Illinois Nov 28, 2010

Am I blind or has there not been a breweries beer list published? Find it easier to have a game plan of what to hit first.
  36. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (605) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

37. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Yeah, I hear the signal is on a truck headed to Chicago right now.
    redblacks75 and Tnudish like this.
  38. revo2008

revo2008 Zealot (85) Illinois Nov 28, 2010

39. chronie

chronie Aficionado (170) Illinois Aug 1, 2011

To anyone who went last year.

Is it possible to buy tickets from people at the gates. If so, what are we talking here, double the original?
  40. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Might be a bit harder in Gurnee ( I am in Chicago), but I got 3 tix in the past week at face value. Keep your eyes and ears open ...there are many kind people out there. Heard it wasn't too difficult getting them before the fest too.
    chronie likes this.