1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Official Great Taste of the Midwest Thread

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Tnudish, Jul 26, 2012.

1. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

How's everyone's great hangover of the Midwest ;)

Chrixsus, gpawned and Dontcounttoday like this.
  2. IPx

IPx Savant (260) Illinois Mar 22, 2010

It was my first time at the Great Taste and I was pleasantly surprised on how things were run. Everything was efficient, everyone was really nice, chill, and laid back. The location was sweet too as there is nothing like drinking your beer with a view or views depending on what or who you were staring at ;)

I was impressed by Black Note, BA Plead the 5th, the BCBS mixing, and Surly's Tea-Bagged Furious. Probably the most surprising for me was Blind Pig. I loved their Hattori Hanzo as well as their Mysterious 200.

If I get tickets again next year, I'm definitely going back without a moments hesitation.

Cheers!

3. jegross2

Yeah I didn't even bother with FFF except for the molok-old because I was one of the first 30 ppl in line. Almost everyone in front of me kept asking "do you have dark lord" and then ordered a jinx proof or alpha king when they said no. Lol

4. sarro

sarro Savant (345) Michigan May 12, 2009

Had a great time helping out with The Livery and got to try some excellent beers from everyone else too ( Perennial Blueberry, Flossmoor's mead barrel triple, Uplands Pilsner)
    I’m surprised our beers lasted as long as they did--everyone wanted Cherry Bomb and we only had a sixtel of it!

Chrixsus and gpawned like this.
  5. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Savant (490) Indiana Mar 30, 2007

So much great beer.

One of my very favorites wasn't even beer. I really liked the Black Dragon from Cider House of Wisconsin.
    Brugge Peony
    Wisconsin Brewing (Moosejaw) Sumatra Coffee Stout
    Everything from Toppling Goliath - Morning Delight (killer), psuedo Sue, and Golden Nugget IPA
    Central Waters 1414
    Fat Head's Headhunter on cask was nice. So many places are putting "big" beers into casks with terrible results, but this was very good.
    Goose Island BCS - Manhattan and Blackberry Dominique
    Grumpy Troll Gratzer Brau
    Perennial Peach Berliner

Those are the ones I remember. All in all I had a pretty damn good day.

6. tgchief

tgchief Savant (315) Iowa Nov 30, 2010

Hey every one cheers to you for making our 2nd GTMW such a great time for us from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company! We started small and are still small, but not in the heart department! I want to thank the hop patrol for all the extra hours they spent putting things together for this. We listen and learn and do not plan to run out of beer, unless we are using hard to find hops or perfecting a treat for you (Mornin Delight) that takes so long to achieve.

I can hardly wait to treat you to our new creations next year! Mike has found some new hops and there is talk of bringing a Naughty Temple if we can go to work on it Monday!!

Cheers to all the volunteers and attendees! We had a great day tasting beer together!

7. Nice meeting several of you at my first GTMW! I thought it was extremely well organized, and I didn't have a problem getting to any special tappings that I was interested in. I'd say the only miss was FFF - if you didn't pour a full glass of DL '09 to everyone, maybe some more people could have had it? I was the last person to get it with about 60 people in line behind me, and I had more than enough after filling a couple people's glasses too. Everyone else must have been a little disappointed with the remaining options of shelf beers (Gumballhead and Alpha King).

My most memorable beers of the day:

1) NG R&D BB Kriek
    2) Dark Horse BB Pt5
    3) GI BCBS Blending Lab
    4) Surly Cacao Bender
    5) Dark Horse Citra-version IPA
    6) Destihl St. Dekkera Apricot
    7) Surly Five
    8) Perennial Peach Berliner Weiss
    9) GI King Henry
    10) FFF Dark Lord '09

Awesome day for sure. No regrets :)

8. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Highlight of the festival: Getting 7 pours of Sophie w/ concord grapes because gnewbs didnt rekognize

Lowlights of the festival: Getting told by the Vintage guys that they only brought a growler of Pumpkin Disorderly three minutes after it was realeased and realizing as I stumbled down John Nolan that I drunkenly didnt even think about going to The Livery....amateur move.

sarro, gpawned and mothman like this.
  9. Drank so much of that sophie. Walked right up and grabbed extra pours while the noobs were in a separate line for bcs.

Probably the best beer of the fest. (maybe Cognac DL... that was okay too).

10. bpfrush

bpfrush Advocate (570) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Highlights for me were Toppling Goliath Mornin' Delight, Free State Old Backus, MN Town Hall Czar Jack, Tyranena Spank Me Baby! With Wood, Fat Head's Head Hunter, and Dark Horse Artic Dekoorc Eert.

11. In no particular order my favorites

CW 1414
    Cider House of Wisconsin Black Dragon (I haven't had many ciders in the past but this one blew all others away)
    GI Amara, Sofie with concord grapes, Laura
    NG BB Kriek
    Perennial Blueberry Flanders cask, Peach Berliner
    Surly Cacao Bender
    The Livery Maillot Jaune, Red Molly, Cherry Bomb, Cherry Taxman
    Toppling Goliath Mornin' Delight, Assassin

12. sarro

Anyone get to try the wine barrel aged pilsner or sour cranberry wheatwine?

Too many delicious beers not enough time!

Chrixsus likes this.
  13. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

You listed 4 Livery beers and not a whisper of Unknown Soldier?!?!?! If you didn't try it, you seriously missed out. Probably my favorite beer of the fest (at least my fave that wasn't barrel aged) and my first chance to try anything from this amazing brewery.

King Henry and 1414 certainly didn't disappoint either. So glad I finally got to try them.

Other highlights: Dark Horse Deathstar Lover and Scary Rockstar Jesus, Surly Syx, Livery Cherry Bomb and everything Central Waters puts in a barrel.

Concord Sophie was very good...but didn't really remind me of regular Sophie at all. Did anyone else think it was significantly more tart (not to say that is a bad thing, just different)? I also think I preferred the complexity of Blackberry Dominique.

Kuhnhenn Ginger-Cinnamon IPA deserves an award for best aroma.

This year's fest was incredible and I'm still on a high from how exciting it was. I'm glad I got to meet up with so many BAs while passing through IN, Chicago and Madison! Looking back at the program I can't help feel a little bit sad about missing so many amazing beers and breweries. I can't wait for next year.

EROCK75 likes this.
  14. Unknown Soldier rocked!

gpawned and thetomG like this.
  15. crxy49

crxy49 Zealot (80) West Virginia Nov 30, 2010

3 Floyds was there???

Chrixsus likes this.
  16. sarro

That was my favorite Livery sour we had! So much fruit & funk!
    The batch of Umae Umami was also really nice. It was more carbonated, less sharply sour, and softer than last year.
    I loved it when people came up asking if we had a sour on tap. A couple people even asked me for blends on the spot too!

thetomG likes this.
  17. EROCK75

EROCK75 Savant (340) Illinois Aug 5, 2009

Kuhnhenn Ginger-Cinnamon IPA deserves an award for best aroma.

[/quote]

This was my favorite non-aged or cask beer at the festival. Tasted like a fireball candy and had the most amazing nose. It won best surprise beer for me...

18. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

This was my favorite non-aged or cask beer at the festival. Tasted like a fireball candy and had the most amazing nose. It won best surprise beer for me...[/quote]
    i missed that, but i had the mead version of it at the brewery earlier this month. also the dripa is pretty good.

19. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Savant (295) Wisconsin Jun 8, 2012

New Glarus R&D Kriek was maybe the best beer I've ever had. Words can't explain!

Other highlights
    Congac BA DL
    Black note
    Kuhnhenn sweet and sour firken
    Surly five

The only special I was in line for but didn't get was KH but since Laura was up right after I wasn't too upset! I was about to pee my pants during the BCBS blending thing so I took a sip of each then dumped all 4 samples into my cup and ran to the bathroom :( It was still delicious though. BCBBCVSS?

ravot likes this.
  20. ravot

i just found two vials in my bag this morning at work. few drops of that concoction.

FT: drops of BCS that hasn't been bottled for this years batch. ISO: T25, ANN, KH.

jakethesnake9z9z likes this.
  21. jegross2

Laura and Scarlett were YUM. Im shocked they didnt receive too much fanfare.

22. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

Did any of you guys stop by the Flat 12 spot? Would love to hear some non Indy opinions on their stuff

23. thetomG

thetomG Savant (430) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

I tried several of theirs... the Kiwi Kiwi Hefe and Moustache Ride were both EXCELLENT. Would not hesitate to buy a growler/bomber/sixer/whatever if I could find that stuff on shelves. Really impressive IMO...

Jkoeneman, jtosh and Shagtastic like this.
  24. I've had a few of their beers before, and enjoyed them greatly. The only one I had on Saturday was the Kiwi Hefe. Thought it was really nice.

Shagtastic, Jkoeneman and jtosh like this.
  25. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Has anyone volunteered at the fest? A buddy of mine bumped into someone he knew in high school and she was a volunteer. She said she worked from 10 to 12', and then got to walk around and drink from 12 to 1, and free entry into the fest. I think $50 is well worth what you get here, but would love that extra hour to sample before mass crowds. Anyone have any details on this so I can look into for next year? Are these details true?

26. Did she get to dink past 1pm? Or just that 1 hour?

If it was work 2 hours and dink for free the rest of the day, I would be all over that!

27. Soneast

Soneast Advocate (500) Wisconsin May 9, 2008

Volunteer slots are limited, and mostly reserved for club members, though there are always a few non-club member positions available. Not all positions are ideal time-wise either, and you don't get to choose AFAIK. Your shift could be before during or after the fest. I believe those who have volunteered in the past get priority for the better shifts.

28. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (680) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Had a few beers from Flat 12 based on your recommendation (and the fact that they were perfect for grabbing a beer or two while waiting in Goose Island's line).

Really enjoyed the Moustache Ride, just blew Bell's Barrel Aged Amber out of the water, one of the surprise beers of the fest for me. Kiwi Kiwi Hefeweizen was equally as impressive, but not something I'd want more than a couple of festival size pours of. The Cucumber Kolsch was interesting, but like the Cigar City Cucumber Saison not something I'd want more than a sample of. Finished off with their collaboration beer with New Albanian that was good, but not very memorable.

All in all I've enjoyed almost everything I've had from Flat 12 via you sending us growlers (gotta love the ability to do 32oz growlers in Indy) and sampling at fests.

Cheers!

Jkoeneman, jtosh and Shagtastic like this.
  29. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

From what I gathered since we bumped into her in the afternoon.... All Day!

kawilliams81 likes this.
  30. jegross2

Hope you wore bumping protection ;)

31. Chrixsus

Chrixsus Savant (325) Illinois Dec 13, 2011

Want to give a huge shout to SARRO!!! :cool:

You have my and my brother's eternal gratitude for being a stand-up guy and showing up to our clandestine meeting the day of the Taste with a ticket in hand for my bro. It was great meeting you. MANY THANKS!

I had no idea you were helping out at The Livery...we would have totally stopped by...next year for sure.

Had a great time, but left with that slightly hollow "so many beers...so little time" feeling. This being my first time, I was overwhelmed by the massiveness of it all. My highlighted list of beers in the program fell by the wayside as the hours flew by...as did my pacing...which only incresased...to the detriment of my memory...and my stomach. It felt as though we had just gotten there and then it was over. Frustrated with myself for not getting around to more of the breweries I'm not familar with and sampling their wares (Free State, Destihl, Toppling Goliath, Kuhnhenn, The Livery, the list goes on and on...). I didn't even remember to snag a T-shirt to commemorate the event! I guess I should be thankful that our souvenir glasses (perfect size for ejoying a bomber!) remained intact despite our drunken wanderings and stumblings around the fest. Of course, all of these thoughts quickly dissolved when I realized how utterly shit-faced I was after vomiting all over my seat on the shuttle bus...:confused: Damn that Founders KBS!

Favorites that I tried were:

- Hop Juice Black (Two Brothers)
    - Pahoehoe (Two Brothers)
    - Mint Chocolate Stout (Perennial)
    - Scary Jesus Rockstar (Dark Horse)
    - SYX (Surly)
    - Devil Dancer (Founders)
    - Mysterious 200 (Blind Pig)
    - El Mole Ocho 2010 (New Holland)
    - Mango Trail IPA Firkin (Fitger's Brewhouse)

At the very least we had an outstanding breakfast Sun. morning at The Old Fashioned in downtown Madison to nurse our Great Hangover of the Midwest and now I am armed with a wealth of knowledge for next year's Taste. The location is awesome and the weather for the day was perfect. All in all, a very memorable and epic time was had!

Thanks again SARRO!!! :D

32. Chrixsus

3 Floyd's is the brewery I hate to love. Pretentious? Absolutely. Complete disregard for their fan-base? Yup. Arrogant? Of course. But drown me in a vat of hops if they don't make a damn fine brew!

Like any good brewery they have a great "brewery taste". Somewhere in all of their beers exists a similar splash of deliciousness that ties all of them together. This core "brewery taste" has propelled many of their brews to god-like status...but nothing has done more for 3 Floyds than this key business tactic:

3 Floyd's has figured out how to brew & bottle exclusivity. Like Nancy Botwin on Weeds when she re-markets her regular ganja by giving it a splashy name (Zombie Dust), packaging it in fancy boxes (Blackheart) with bows, and telling people that it's an "exclusive, limited" strain (Dark Lord), 3 Floyds have made their beers in to hard-to-find gems by limiting how much is brewed and where it is distributed behind the shield-of-an-excuse that they are a small craft brewery that simply can't keep up with the demand for their product. Thus, driving the rest of us insane. But who can blame them? It's pretty hard to stand out in a sea of craft brewers offering endless choices, so perhaps they are to be applauded for their marketing savvy.

They are to be boo'd, however, for their utter lack of respect to their fans. One trip to their brew-pub is enough to let you know that they know they hold the keys to some spectacular beers. The eye-rolling staff acts as though they are Brew Gods (and this is just the wait-staff) that have descended from on-high to bring us mere mortals a taste of their awesomeness. So running out of beer at this preeminent beer fest of beer fests would seem par for the course for 3 Floyd's.

It's pretty irresponsible to let so many down by not bringing enough beer to a fest where you know the demand for your product is extremely high. A fest that they've been invited to probably since its inception, so that they should know by now how much to bring to last its 5 hr. duration. A fest that their fans travel miles upon miles to come to hoping for a taste of their beers. Or by pouring people's glasses so high that there isn't enough to go around till the end of the fest. When I was in line at 4:30 PM even the Jinx Proof was gone! Am I asking too much? I don't think so. Settling and complancency don't drive change and improvement...higher-expectations do.

Will I stop drinking their beers? Probably not. I just wish they could be nicer to us, the little people. The people who have made them the craft-beer heavyweights they are today. Because without us they would still be brewing out of someone's garage in Indiana.

3 FLOYD'S! DON'T FORGET WHERE YOU CAME FROM!

33. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Savant (285) Colorado Apr 4, 2012

Good summation, but I have to disagree with you on a few things. For me, I think 3 Floyds is actually one of the most overated craft breweries in the world (quite possibly the most). I've had Vanilla DL once and I will admit it was damn tasty and it warrants it's ratings, other than beer, I can say with quite a bit confidence that, while 3 Floyds beers are good, IMO, they do not warrant their rankings. Sure ZD is good, but the 16th best beer in the world? Hell no. I could probably think of 16 other APA/IPA/DIPA's I'd rather have. Dreadnaught in the top 50? Please. I think my favorite is regular DL, it still boggles my mind that people make a pilgrimage to get their hands on this stuff (I understand really wanting the BA varients but regular DL, while certainly a unique stout, is not that great). Sure stuff like Gumballhead and Alpha King are good decent beers but again, I could easily find other similar brews that are just as good (might be easy for me though as I have access to New Glarus and Bells ;)).

I personally place some importance on the respect that a brewery has for its customers. Sure as a brewery grows, pleasing everyone becomes impossible, but on some level, they should still care about their customers. The feeling I get from Three Floyds is that all they care about is themselves. People going crazy for their shit regardless of how they act enables them to act the way they do. Am I going to stop drinking their beers? Probably not altogether (although it will certainly affect my buying habits with respect to them). Will it affect my desire to ever go to their brewery for a special release (including DL day) or stopping by one of their special events or their booth at any festivals they are at? Hell yes, because those are the things that they run like shit and seem to get off on because they know they can run them like shit.

Chrixsus likes this.
  34. Chrixsus

AMEN!!!

p.s. Just out of curiousity...what are the 16 other APA/IPA/DIPA's you'd rather have in place of Zombie Dust? Would love to add your choices to my "Want List"!

35. ravot

still have yet to be treated badly. Whenever my girl orders a half pint, it's on the house. i guess they're flirts.

36. mtrutlin

Ok that was possibly an exageration but I'll give this a try:
    Pliny
    Heady
    Two Hearted
    Mercenary
    Masala Mama
    Double Sunshine IPA
    Hopslam
    90 Minute IPA
    Lunch
    Columbus IPA

Haven't tried Citra yet either, which I would guess I'd prefer. There's also plenty of IPAs/DIPAs/APAs I haven't had. Someday I'll be able to get up to that 16.

Chrixsus likes this.
  37. gpawned

Are any of those APAs? Because as much as I agree with most of what you said about FFF...none of those are particularly comparable to Zombie Dust. That list just makes me think you prefer super hoppy beers to something as brilliantly balanced and restrained as ZD.

38. mtrutlin

I understand what you're saying, I know that APAs are more of a restrained type of beer but there obviously aren't nearly as many quality APAs to compare it to as there are IPAs. I agree that its a quality, well balance APA, I guess I was just trying to illustrate that it is overated, just like virtually every other three floyds beer.

39. I'll let someone else handle that.

40. gpawned

I'm not a huge IPA fan but as far as APAs go, I've never had one that I've liked better than Zombie Dust. I am by no means a FFF fan boy, in fact ZD is the only beer I buy from them regularly (for my own consumption) and even recently had my heart broken by my first Dark Lord (2012 - what a sweet mess), but I'd love to hear of some APAs than can compete with Zombie Dust because then I can stop hunting ZD every time I make it back to Chicago.