1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Official SA Bishop's Barrel thread

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by icetrauma, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

They were selling a Dfh 750ml 4.5 abv beer, some Egyptian recipie, for 15.99 here in fla and I thought THAT was outrageous. 15 for a 12oz anything to me, unless made with unicorns and fairies is ridiculous to me.

2. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (650) Texas Jul 14, 2009

Huge as in Goose Island huge or huge as in Real Ale huge? I haven't seen it so I can't comment but barrel aging is expensive and it takes time. They might have multiple different types of barrels also which is why they are doing different batches. I'm sure if SA released a batch that was all of their barrels people would still go crazy and they would sell out quickly. Look at how big the Pumpkinator batch was and the reaction upon its release. I'm just saying they intentionally made it small to drive up demand, I think they are just getting started. Freetail used to only have 2 or 3 barrels now they have about 12. 512 has a lot more then they used to have. I think the first WBDPP was about 100 bottles now their batch is around 1000 bottles. That took 3 years to get there though.

3. DonD

DonD Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 23, 2008

It's a 2000 sqft barrel room without about 200 barrels.

HoustonZ33 and Texas_Speed like this.
  4. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

It was closer to 3,000 bottles.

5. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (475) Texas Oct 15, 2011

First batch of WBDPP was one barrel release FYI

6. awinkro

awinkro Savant (275) Texas Oct 15, 2008

I wouldn't call our Barrel Room "huge". It has a capacity of about 300 barrels. Compare that to the Bruery who has over 2800 and GI which is somewhere near 5k

cfh64 likes this.
  7. awinkro

awinkro Savant (275) Texas Oct 15, 2008

We have a 120bbl brew house. In the past, we would fill a barrel or two here, but when we decided to actually release a packaged product, we wanted to do it the best way we saw fit. So, we brew one batch, fill 120bbl fermenter, after primary fermentation we transfer the entire batch into barrels. Having the ability to fill multiple barrels gives us the opportunity to blend, which is paramount in creating the best product we can, rather than being constrained to the flavors of a single barrel.

Could we have done a double, triple or even quadruple the batch? Sure, but like I've said in earlier posts, we're new at this. It doesn't have anything to do with, "hey let's make a super small batch to drive up hype and demand." We're experimenting, and the best way to do that, in my opinion, is start small.

8. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Well it looked big to me when I saw, but it's the only barrel room I've seen. But yeah it's not huge, at 2,000 sq feet it's fairly small. Like I said I would've loved to take a picture or record the walk through the barrel room but I'm sure Brock would drop kick me and break my camera. Either way guys, barrels take up space, cost money to get them in the first place and it is inventory just sitting there for months if not years. Also take into consideration angels share and the fact that some barrels aging beer will just be ruined sometimes. We can't complain about the amount a beer a brewery releases. St.Arnold's main focus is their flagship beers and everything else they release is a bonus to people that love their beer. Look at Summer Pills, for one batch of this, the brewery could make 3 batches of Lawmmower, but St. Arnold's chooses to keep the fermenters with the summer pills instead.

We should be Happy St. Arnold's is experimenting with aging, and if you can't get their beer don't worry about it. Their is always more releases

9. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (650) Texas Jul 14, 2009

Numbers were were wrong but my point was correct

FUNKPhD likes this.
  10. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (325) Texas Aug 22, 2012

Exactly.

There will always be more releases and if the small releases are a success, like I feel BB1 was, then that is just incentive for them to do a larger batch next time so more people are able to get their hands on it. I personally didn't get to try any BB1, but I'm looking forward to the chance to try the next release and hope that SA remakes BB1 again in the future. I know a lot of people are upset with having to chase beers but at least we can say we have beers to chase. First world problems :rolleyes:

HoustonZ33 and Ford like this.
  11. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

And what would we do if we didn't have beers to chase? Drink them?

12. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (655) Texas Aug 16, 2005

I'd say we'd sit around and bitch about not having any beers to chase.

starkmarvelo likes this.
  13. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Having this now downtown Dallas... Thin, but the nose is fantastic. Good, but I prefer bourbon county.

14. cfh64

Interesting, drinking an Angels Share right now. Price tag 16.99 for a 375. No, its not supposed to be a stout but I'd be very interested in doing AS and BB side by side. Right now, I'd say I'll take BB anyday for $10 cheaper. Might take BB anyday regardless of price but I'm a bourbon fan as well.

15. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (570) Texas Nov 20, 2011

I drank my AS a few weeks ago. It was a letdown. I had a sample of BB at the FT release and thought it was great. Scored 2 bottles yesterday. So I'm looking forward to having it again

16. FUNKPhD

You need to quit posting because you post what I want to say, and every time I see Dimebag, I get bummed! :mad:

cfh64 likes this.
  17. cfh64

I didn't think AS was that bad, a bit undercarbed (see Lost Abbey) but it had some nice BA flavors. For the price tag? A huge let down. I get that BB is not as stouty or thick as we'd like it to be but personally I really enjoy the BA flavors. Looking at it as just a BA beer and not so much a stout I think its great.

I was actually very surprised at the BA flavors for their first attempt. So its thin, they can fix that and I'm sure they will make the necessary adjustments. To me, personally, I think the BA flavors are more important (initally) than the base beer.

icetrauma likes this.
  18. FUNKPhD

I think I know where I can get one. I'll report back.

19. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

was it an Bourbon Angel's Share or Brandy Angel's share?

The Bourbon was excellent, but a bit hot (2012) and needed some time. I've got one in the cellar waiting a while...

I thought the Bourbon Angel's Share was much better than BB1

20. cfh64

It was Bourbon. Yes' the AS was more mellow and balanced but I like more bold flavors therefore I prefer the BB. I also don't think AS is worth $8-10 more than BB. There is also potential (just guessing) that BB could mellow into something more similair to AS with 6-12 months aging and it won't cost an extra $10.

I prefer Laphroaig 10 yr cask over Laphroaig 18 and Pappy 15 over 23 just because I appreciate the boldness of the flavors more than the "mellowness". Its just personal preference. For being 12% I think BB is dangerously drinkable. Again, just my opinion, to each their own.

21. blatherbeard

Well you'd hate my shirt ten ;)

22. Walt

Walt Initiate (0) Texas Aug 6, 2006

Most on premise places with high dollar beer runs anywhere from 27%-47% cost of goods.

Realize as well that for establishments with mixed beverage permits, they immediately eat 14% of the retail cost of the beer (all alcoholic beverage sales, actually) to remit to the state. So, if a beer cost the bar $3.71 and they sold it for $10, that's a 37.1% cost of goods (which is high) before taxes. The real cost of goods is based on that $10 net of tax, so $8.60...or 43%. Also, you can't sell bottles to go. Retail markup and restaurant markup are very different as overhead is tremendously higher at a restaurant or bar than a retail outlet (like a store). MOST restaurants in our genre end up with a bottom line profit somewhere around 7%-14% of what their revenues are. Lots of exceptions, but that's probably accurate for the casual dining genre.

BG permits do not have to do this and thus, charge regular sales tax and can sell bottles to go.

Even better though, you can't have a variable price point on a product. For example, if I had this beer at Flix for sale to consume on the property it would be in the $9-$10 price point. I wouldn't be worried about it adversely impacting my cost of goods because if I sold 1, 2, 3, or 5 cases at this high cost of goods it wouldn't move the needle much. If I sold bottles to go (sealed) for $7, I would HAVE to charge the people in the theater that are receiving service the same price.

thirdeye11 likes this.
  23. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Did anyone notice that I had the bishop barrel tonight? I thought that's what this thread was about.

24. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (445) Texas Feb 3, 2009

I don't know of any places in DFW that will get it, where it is "take home". This was distributed to on premise accounts only, and I don't know them all. That being said, if the Flying Saucer in Addison got some, they can technically sell it to you to go because they have an off premise license (they don't have a mixed drinks permit, no alcohol at that location) as well. You just have to ask the bartenders if they have it, and if they do, ask them not to open it.

25. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

You drank the Bishops Barrel?!

26. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Personally, I disagree. I like BBA stouts to have big stout flavors to compliment the flavors from the barrel, which is why BB1 was a big miss for me (didn't like AS either). Give me some BCBS, Black OPS, or Eclipse any day though.

27. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

I feel like the kid in class who keeps raising his hand to answer the question but always gets skipped over.

Bring this to Fort Worth in some form or fashion or face the wrath of Khan!

icetrauma likes this.
  28. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Never coming to Fort Worth. Spock restored power. Warp drive ensued. Maybe the Genesis Project will generate a new batch.

29. Erik

Erik Aficionado (100) Texas Mar 5, 2012

Finally got to try one at a bar in Houston last night. I asked what seasonals they had and they told me DR12 so I ordered one. Then the waitress came back and told me she was sorry but they only have this "bishops bottle barrel". Score. Love these bars that don't promote it like crazy. They had 3 cases barely touched.

30. thirdeye11

It's always helpful to other members here, if you mention which bar, so that they know where to go and seek it out. Many have missed out on this.

31. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

Frankly I'm shocked these haven't popped up on the trade forum.

32. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (325) Texas Aug 22, 2012

33. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

34. Erik

Hearsay. $10 a bottle.

35. cfh64

I heard from a somewhat reliable source it will start being delivered on Mon and/or Tues in Ft Worth.

H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  36. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

That's awesome news..just assuming 2 of those spots will be FW Saucer and GMan with World of Beer Arlington joining them.

37. cfh64

Probably assuming not G-man but yes to World of Beer, Saucer, and Live Oak Music Hall.

38. blatherbeard

so being a douche your full time job?

or just want it all ;)

39. thirdeye11

Pretty sure he was trying to be helpful.

http://www.hearsayhouston.com/

jbeezification likes this.
  40. Erik

Don't quite understand your post. But thanks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.