1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Official SA Bishop's Barrel thread

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by icetrauma, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duff247

duff247 Savant (450) Texas Nov 16, 2010

Any word on this left anywhere in SA?
  2. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

The interesting thing I find about locating BB1 is the smaller places that have it but didn't know they had it. See multiple post in this thread. After the big boys were hit up and bought out, this beer is stil popping up. In a way this is kind of a cool thing the smaller business's, ninHay Merchant, Saucer,Petrol, Gman etc, are getting some free advertising by SA. This is good for them, making them targets for the next possible bar release.
    cfh64 likes this.
  3. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (655) Texas Aug 16, 2005

In relation to what icetrauma mentioned above, if anyone happens to be around McKinney, Square Burger got 2 cases about a week ago. Not sure if they still have any (though I'm willing to bet they do) and you can't get it to go. Just an FYI.
  4. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Latest I heard is that World of Beer got 2 more cases, and The Friendly Spot is also a possibility. I would call first.
  5. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (325) Texas Aug 22, 2012

I'm really surprised to see how many bars still have this beer on hand. Maybe I can get lucky and a couple of bars will still have some in a week when I get home.
  6. DonD

DonD Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 23, 2008

They let you take them away? I've driven by that place a few times and almost stopped in just for kicks, but wasn't sure what it would be like.

Just checked their website and facebook. Doesn't look like they serve liquor. Do you know if they do growlers as well?
  7. soultrain19

soultrain19 Savant (270) Texas Feb 28, 2008

Yes, carry out (it is an icehouse). No growler fills that I know. Very surprising selection of beer (lots of SA and Karbach).
  8. DonD

Cool. I'll stop in on my way to Petrol and see if I can score a bottle.
  9. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Man, those 512 casks sound awesome.
  10. DonD

Yes, they do. I had the cafe au lait last time they got it, but haven't had the other 2.
  11. FUNKPhD

Where's the "Everything (512)" thread? lawl
  12. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Wish I could go to Petrol for the (512) PP Casks! Enjoy! :)
  13. FUNKPhD

Well, they're actually doing different ones all over town. Can't remember all and what is going on elsewhere, but Petrol does seem to have the most interesting/tasty ones going on tonight.
  14. soultrain19

soultrain19 Savant (270) Texas Feb 28, 2008

I almost forgot about the casks tonight @ Petrol. Hmm. Hopefully I can sneak out and sample some of those elixirs.
  15. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I can't get out tonight unfortunately. If any place busts them out tomorrow it's more likely.
  16. adam320

adam320 Zealot (90) Texas Dec 2, 2009

The harp has about a half case left.
  17. adam320

adam320 Zealot (90) Texas Dec 2, 2009

Any have founders backwoods bastard? That is what this reminds me of, not a stout.
  18. DonD

Thanks for the heads up on this. Drank one and got a couple to go. Really nice people. Talked to their silver eagle rep, as he was there drinking and he said that's his local bar, so he'll be hooking them up with as much as he can.
    soultrain19 likes this.
  19. tasteslikefrog

tasteslikefrog Disciple (70) Texas Jun 14, 2012

finally got to try it.
    very tasty stuff!
    Ford likes this.
  20. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Fort Worth Saucer got em. $15 no take out.

I'm stunned by my second take with this beer. First take was a small taster at Freetail. Having a full glass is the best evaluator. It's more viscous than I remembered. The barrel dominates but the base beer helps it linger in the mouth. Its got plenty of that chocolate milkshake feel. Yeah it's not an RIS and there are plenty bigger BA Stouts but this tops Uncle Jacob in a heartbeat (and I liked UJ's)

Anyway that's my unprofessional take. I spent 15 and walked away extremely happy.

I would, however, prefer this in 6 pack form. I mean come in people this is pretty great stuff...yea it might not be as evolved as the greats in the category but it's pretty awesome on its own and represents a major leap forward for a TX brewery that actually has the ability to rapidly grow.

The only disappointing thing is not knowing if/when they revisit this same brew in the future. If I'm lucky enough to see Brock again I'll press this point in person.

Bring on Batch 2 and please save me another one at FW Saucer. I also ticked Utopias tonight...pretty surprising night all in all
  21. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

raffy313 likes this.
  22. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Who make's Uncle Jacob's.. I'm clueless.
  23. raffy313

raffy313 Savant (405) Texas Dec 15, 2010

Gotta agree with your "quote fail"... ;). Had both within about a week apart(BB1 last night), and would take another UJ's in a "heartbeat". If I could've taken one home to age abit more I can see possible improvement. At least it might mellow out the overpowering whiskey flavors abit.

Having said that... I'm actually glad I had the chance to try it. Still a solid beer.
  24. raffy313

raffy313 Savant (405) Texas Dec 15, 2010

Ford likes this.
  25. lokieman

I totally agree with you on having the opportunity to taste it...I made a special trip up to Round Rock just to lay down $9 for 12oz's of beer. I guess I just came away a bit disappointed and went into the experience expecting something a lot different and better. The base beer was just overwhelmed with bourbon and wasn't "stout" enough to stand up to the treatment. The base beer in UJ is viscous, dark and creamy and definitely shines through the barrel treatment...maybe I'm biased. I just really love Uncle Jacob's Stout...
  26. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (560) Texas Nov 20, 2011

I tasted it at the freetail bottle share. I liked it, but I thought it was a barrel aged old ale. If someone had told me it was a stout, at the time, I probably wouldn't have been as impressed. lol I still like it though, I'll just think of it as a "stout" and not a stout. If that makes sense. lol.

I have some BWB, I think you may be on to something there. Need to do a side-by-side when I drink one.
  27. mindswoop

mindswoop Aficionado (220) Texas Dec 22, 2011

Backwoods Bastard is a BA scotch ale. I have one bottle left from last year and wish I had more. Just fantastic stuff!
  28. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Had another one today. It wass awesome. I reiterate that I would like to see this revisited often and please please on tap..maybe at Big Texas Beer Fest?!?!?

I understand not accepting this as equal to Uncle Jacobs (which suffered, at least personally, from being a bit of the big beer mess syndrome, yet gets praise for being exactly that). It's much more like a BA Czar in all fairness. Something about the label was really simple and a think it was a matte finish..I hope they stick it, it comes across as very refined.
    Ford and champ103 like this.
  29. tigrstylz

tigrstylz Aficionado (215) Texas Jan 10, 2012

Had one at Friendly Spot while there for the Rock-N-Roll Marathon, they said they had two more cases in the back.
  30. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

Whip In is selling these to go now. $8
  31. genitempo

genitempo Aficionado (220) Texas Jun 19, 2011

Bought a couple of bottles but have mixed feelings about it. Really enjoyed the beer, even enjoyed the treasure hunt trying to get a taste of this "restaurant/bar only" beer. Now it's available for take-out purchase? That's fine, but it kills the magic.
  32. Walt

Walt Initiate (0) Texas Aug 6, 2006

If the permit allows for off premise sales, SA was cool with "utilizing your permit".
  33. genitempo

genitempo Aficionado (220) Texas Jun 19, 2011

Understandable. Just not really how the brewery presented to it's consumers.
  34. Daemose

Daemose Savant (450) Texas Oct 3, 2011

any left in houston? only got a taste, looking to scrounge now.
  35. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

dammit, mustve been there too early this week as they had NONE when i was in, nor did they have any more of the mint chocolate. (which i tasted tonight and was decent. def reminded me of mint choc chip ice cream)
  36. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (325) Texas Sep 10, 2012

At this point, I highly doubt it sadly. I wish they made this at least seasonally.
  37. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I had another taste today at Petrol Station in Houston... what a really good beer... granted... this is if you like bourbon barrel aged beers...
  38. tasteslikefrog

tasteslikefrog Disciple (70) Texas Jun 14, 2012

39. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (315) Texas Oct 21, 2008

Call Draught House. I saw that they had bottles as of last Tuesday. Not sure if they would sell it to go though.
  40. lokieman

Was there last night...on premise only
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.