1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Oh, Fantôme...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DaveAnderson, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Over the past 4-5 months, I have had Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver four times, and no two were even similar, even though I bought two bottles together on two different occasions.

The one I opened tonight was straight-up Band Aid. I bought it about a month ago, along with another bottle that was sublime.

I am not inclined to drainpour, so I gave it some time, and was shocked to discover that the Band Aid smell somehow disappeared after letting it sit for about 15 minutes. Over and over. That is, every time I poured it in the glass, the Band Aid smell was overpowering, but each time, I let it sit, and the foul smells evaporated, leaving a tasty saison behind.

What a strange beer. At least I didn't have this problem.

Incidentally, by my scorecard, I have had 2 good and 2 bad bottles of this beer. And I will buy more. That's how good the good ones are.

Mandark and devlishdamsel like this.
  2. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

Yeah, Fantome is like casual sex: sometimes you score real good. Other times you wish you hadn't brought it home.

3. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

The best was the bottle I had at a bottle share that had the exact smell that burnt rubber does.

4. Sometimes you get an infection too.

5. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (335) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

I don't understand why people are almost always harshly critical about inconsistent breweries (as they should be) but Fantome somehow gets a pass. I understand when they're good, they're great, but just because you're making sour/wild beers, doesn't mean you should ship out everything that comes out of fermentation. What's the point of naming your batches when they're always going to be different anyway? Might as well just throw Fantome on the bottle, and good luck with whatever you happen to find inside.

FarmerTed, sacrelicio and DStoked like this.
  6. I was very excited to buy two bottles of Fantôme Saison recently. I have had this beer in the past, loved it and gave it a deserving high rating. I shared these two bottles at two different tastings. These two bottles tasted like old vegetables and marrijuana. Virtually undrinkable and disliked by everyone at both tastings. I've seen Dany post something about "our ancestors never worried about green bottles" or something to that effect. Well, you should start worrying, because the beer you brew is all over the map and is the definition of inconsistent. Those two bottles were a total waste of my money. I, for one, cannot begin to fathom where the Fantôme hype comes from. There are scores of breweries in Belgium that churn out a plethora of amazing beers on a regular basis. And for that matter, I'll put Hill Farmstead, Upright, Logsdon, and Stillwater ahead of Fantôme when it comes to saisons. Sure, every blue moon you open a Fantôme and it's awesome, but that's the exception, not the rule.

7. I've had several bad experiences with Fantome. I probably won't buy another bottle if I get the chance. I've heard this quote many times, "Fantome is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get."

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  8. I guess I am in the minority here but I have never had a bad experience with Fantome. Not saying they are a model of consistency by any means but I have always enjoyed what has been in the bottle.

9. Rbald42

Rbald42 Savant (280) Minnesota Apr 15, 2008

Luckily every bottle of Ete and Gourmande I've had has been great. Maybe I stumbled upon some lucky batches. I had a printemps last year that tasted super awful, but that was my first bad one out of at least a dozen or so various bottles. We have a huge tasting coming up, with a lot of different bottles...hopefully they'll turn out okay.

Thorpe429 likes this.
  10. Shammy

Shammy Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013

Is Etre the best place to purchase it while in the US? I never see Fantome on the shelves by me.

11. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Ive been wanting to buy some Fantome through etregourmet, etc, and its threads like this that will keep me from doing so. One hell of a gamble to take...

12. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (605) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

It's like my uncle used to say, "Fantome is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

13. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (605) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

I wouldn't be too afraid. Maybe I'm lucky, but of the 20 or so Fantome bottles I've had, none have been bad and the majority have been phenomenal.

14. Fantome is always a straight-up risk. But Dany is such a character I cannot help but see what he is up to when new one comes out. It's a 50/50 proposition, but can be fun if you can afford it. I'd say about 2/3 of the dozen or so bottles I've had were very enjoyable. And the rest were a mess.

15. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Are there any brews that tend to be more or less 'risky' than the others, or is it just a crap-shoot across the board? lol

16. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

Another recent problem is the carbonation on the recent Hill Farmstead collab. I'll still grab a bottle when I visit the brewery to give it a try but it can definitely be added to the list of "Oh, Fantome" beers it seems.

17. So far from the ones I've tried, You never go wrong with the regular fantome and magic. Some of the other variants just throw me off, or are very different from one batch to the next.

Gosox8787 likes this.
  18. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (895) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

In the past, the regular Fantome Saison had always been strong. It ranged from very good to absolutely amazing. The bottles with the new label, however, are a horrid mess of band-aid, burnt rubber, rotten vegetables, and smoke.

seeswo likes this.
  19. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I haven't had Fantome because of the price point, but I just saw a Fantome tulip glass for sale for 12.99. It's funny because it's shaped exactly like my Piraat tulip, which was like five bucks. Hype much?

FarmerTed and Cee-Poe like this.
  20. DStoked

DStoked Savant (330) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

And I guarantee people would buy it. I actually think this would be kind of fun.

21. Ive said this B4 the best Saison i ever had was Fantome and the worst Saison i ever had was Fantome

Rainblows, DaveAnderson and Thorpe429 like this.