1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Oh, we hardly knew ye (breweries gone before their time)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fauxpunker, Dec 28, 2012.

1. fauxpunker

fauxpunker Aficionado (165) Nov 23, 2012

Sorry if this is a killed topic, I tried a few searches and scanned a few pages and didn't see it.

So, I'd spent some time in Cork years back (2004) and really enjoyed Beamish. After coming back to I struggled to find it, but managed from time to time. The last couple years I noticed I couldn't find it anywhere. Looks like they got taken over by Heineken and don't distribute to the US any more. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I miss this beer and feel it was taken from me too soon.

What other beers have you enjoyed that departed before their time? Not one offs or anything like that, but breweries that just couldn't hang on or suffered a distribution foul.

BierStein711 likes this.
  2. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Pete's Brewing Company

3. One of my first beer loves was Bert Grant's Perfect Porter. I was introduced to it while attending school in Montana and have fond memories associated with a few other Grant's beers. I can still picture my dad's face when I asked him to pick me up a six pack of Perfect Porter when I was home on Christmas break. He payed over ten bucks for the six pack and may have shat his britches in the process. Ah Burt Grant, I miss your Perfect Porter.

4. fauxpunker

Did he at least try any of it? I know I'd want to know what I just spent the money on :)

5. To my dad any "dark beer" tastes like Guiness

Sonofalime and fauxpunker like this.
  6. Michigan Brewing Company had the only pumpkin beer I ever liked. "Screamin Pumpkin"

superspak and Ant7780 like this.
  7. fauxpunker

My Grandpa fell back on that this weekend. Let him try Old Chub. "Tastes like Guiness" o_O Say whaaaaaaaaat?

Lantern likes this.
  8. So agree with you man...I loved Berts Perfect Porter...Such a tasty beer. Man, that sure brings back some great memories, 94-95-ish? Damn...

9. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

The first beer that comes to mind is Thomas Hardy's Ale. A great beer, sorely missed.

10. Yes sir! Pete's Wicked Ale was also a staple. Ahhhh...good times

khall62 likes this.
  11. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

For me the original Young's brewery in England started me down the path. Young's oatmeal stout, Old Nick & RamRod are sorely missed after Well's bought them the only thing 'round here is the Young's Dbl. Choc. which sadly isn't the same.

12. The late great heavyweight

13. slander

slander Site Editor (580) New York Nov 5, 2001 Staff Member

Grants, absolutely. The Perfect Porter was the, you know, perfect porter. Peaty craziness love.

Pete's Wicked Ale was my American Brown Ale of the early 90's (that and the Brooklyn Brown). But Pete sold the company and Gambrinus tweaked and tweaked unmercifully. I remember their press release about the rebranding from short snubby bottles to tall boys with the new 'trident' logo (ooh, how wicked). They said they were going to tweak the recipe but not an outright change, no. They were going to tweak the recipe incrementally with each batch to 'acclimate the consumer'. Goodnight.

khall62 likes this.
  14. bavarian barbarian

justintcoons likes this.
  15. PhillyStyle

PhillyStyle Savant (490) Georgia Apr 8, 2008

I was introduced to Beamish when I went to Dublin and Cork back in 2009. Found it a few times after i got back, but not after 2010, if I recall. Great beer and hope that it makes its way back to the US or i make it back to Ireland.

Anyway, Hoptimus Prime by Legacy Brewing comes to mind, but I think that they lost the battle in 2010/11.

fauxpunker likes this.
  16. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Orchard Street brewing here in Bellingham. They were around for the first couple years I lived here, but an over-assertive expansion plan did them in. I still miss their Stock Ale quite a bit.

libbey likes this.
  17. I think Hoptimus Prime is brewed still by Ruckus brewing. I bought a bottle last month

18. Pete's Wicked Ale was the first Craft Beer I ever had back in 1989-ish. Small place in Georgetown(DC) called the Rathskeller that had like 300 beers on their menu back then. I think this beer is still around but is contract brewed by one of the larger breweries.

19. Pete's never had a brewery (tho' one was promised, before selling out to Gambrinus in '98). It was always contract-brewed, by (in order) Palo Alto, Schell's, Minnesota (a Heileman spin-off, in the old Schmidt brewery in St. Paul) and finally by Stroh. Stroh (the fourth largest brewery in the country at the time with close to 20m bbl. in sales) also owned a minority share of Pete's in the end and had a Stroh exec sitting on their board.

After Gambrinus bought the brand and then Stroh folded, Pete's was brewed first by Miller and then by F. X. Matt until Gambrinus pulled the plug on the brand in 2011.

JimKal, FriarTuckInLuck and beertunes like this.
  20. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I used to work at a bike shop in the warehouse, and on Fridays we'd shoot to the Rite-Aid across the street for a few sixers, that we'd drink on the loading dock. My friend Bernie was (and remains) a die-hard Bud man, but every week he'd drink 2-3 of my Pete's, before jumping into the Buds. It was the only craft option at the time that he liked. I'd drink a few, and always buy some dark chocolate to snack on. It was a nice pairing. I miss that beer.

sharpski and checktherhyme like this.
  21. Yeah, they apparently moved the contract from The Lion to Cooperstown Brewing Co. (after initially getting approvals for having it brewed by Appalachian in Harrisburg, PA) and the labels read "Ruckus Brewing Co., Milford, NY".

22. SrMonkey

SrMonkey Savant (265) Wisconsin Mar 19, 2008

I was a fan of Beamish, but what I really miss is Caffrey's.

skipjack17 and kscaldef like this.
  23. wish I got to try Odanata Saison

jkane101, flexabull and afrokaze like this.
  24. Perkuno's Hammer : R.I.P

pnutbutr likes this.
  25. Atlas1

Atlas1 Savant (370) Texas Jul 14, 2005

I worked for Catamount Brewing Company in Norwich, VT, for a short while back in 1999 just before they went bust. That was a good brewery and a great place to work. They did an excellent Porter, and their Amber was solid as well. They also contract-brewed a delicious beer called Martha's Vineyard Pub Draft Ale, which was one of the tastiest beers I ever had off the assembly line. After Catamount went under, I think Harpoon eventually bought the brewing facility, which was quite nice at the time.

Beerista, lhteacher and beertunes like this.
  26. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Yeah, Harpoon now owns the facility in Vermont. Great place to visit for a meal and a Growler fill. They actually brew a few of the old Catamount recipes now and then for the 100 barrel series.

27. theBubba

theBubba Aficionado (190) New York Nov 22, 2008

The passing of Old Nick saddens me. I've saved one for posterity.

28. Kelp

Kelp Savant (450) New Hampshire Mar 6, 2008

I miss having Pennichuck in the area between Pompier and Pozharnik I was a happy newbie to craft beer, and a drunk one if I tried to kill a bottle by myself.

29. morimech

morimech Advocate (675) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

I traded for a couple of their beers just because I loved the name. They were not that good.

30. Plan B out of Smithers B.C.

checktherhyme likes this.
  31. Caffrey's is still brewed by MolsonCoors in the UK (Coors bought several of the old Carling brands from InBev when they bought the former Bass brewery in Burton-on-Trent). It's not exported to the US but still available in Canada, the UK and Sweden according to MolsonCoors' Caffrey's page.

32. HC Berger and Rhino Chasers were among my first micros along with Oasis also and Petes
    I miss Niagara Falls Brewing too,the Eisbock was amazing

mpyoung215 likes this.
  33. Rhino Chasers (another contract-brew, they even used one of the same contract breweries as Pete's - Minnesota) supposedly has been revived by a DC area brewery, M.A. Hagerman Brewing Company, which also had a line of beers confusingly called "Lost Rhino" and uses that name as their 'dba'. Don't know if they're claiming to use the original recipe, etc.

34. merc7186

merc7186 Savant (345) New York Dec 5, 2010

I never got the obession with some people and Bavarian Barbarian, if you could explain to me, then I might understand some peoples passion for that brewery. I had several of their beers a couple of years ago when I was working in Williamsport and just thought they were mediocre at best. Then the classy way the head brewer went out was just the icing on the cake....

+1 Thomas Hardys...I still have several bottles of 06 and 07 that I hoard.

35. pghlee

pghlee Savant (255) Georgia Feb 24, 2006

Still have a couple cases of each. completely sour and undrinkable

36. Bardo Rodeo in Arlington, VA. A truly unique location and decent beers....and Sacramento Brewing, too.

37. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (535) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

Neptune in NYC as well as New Amsterdam are two. Still surprised New Amsterdam didn't make it.

38. dronedream

dronedream Aficionado (135) Texas Sep 10, 2012

Wildcatter's Crude Stout - Yellow Rose Brewing Company.

39. Definitely Pennichuck for me too.

RobertColianni likes this.