1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Oh, we hardly knew ye (breweries gone before their time)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fauxpunker, Dec 28, 2012.

1. The one I miss is Devils Mountain Brewery I believe in Ohio. They did an African Black Honey that blew me away in my youth and I would love to see this many years later what I would think of that beer today.

2. There was the Real Ale company in Chelsea MI, back in 82-83 time frame. That was even before Bells opened. They went under due to being way ahead of their time, and quality issues with the beer (so I have been told, never had it). I do have a bottle from that brewery that a friend gave me.

3. I dont know about anyone else but for me it was the times more than the beer. twice a year i go with my girlfriends familly to their place in the mountains and we always went to bullfrog and bavarian (Bullfrog was much better) but still a fun place to go, so i guess it was kind of like a tradition.

4. fauxpunker

fauxpunker Aficionado (165) Nov 23, 2012

Kinda sad I missed out on some of these. Sounds like a lot of good memories had by many.

5. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

I remember a Devil Mountain Brewing out of California, I belive. they had a great Oatmeal Stout. I used to drink that when I was just getting started out, maybe 96, 97, 98?

6. macster

macster Savant (310) Florida Dec 16, 2003

New Amsterdam was a fantastic little craft brewery out of NYC. I recall their amber lager and pale ale which was very good. They also produced an India Dark Ale (IDA on the bottle's label). A very tasty, hoppy ale with a dark color and roasted malt character. Way before the Black Ale became popular as they are today.

7. macster

Catamount out of VT was another good one gone now.

lhteacher likes this.
  8. Ant7780

Ant7780 Aficionado (210) Michigan Dec 2, 2012

Although I have enjoyed many pumpkin beers since, Screaming Pumpkin started it all, and it's been hard to find a go-to consistent pumpkin beer since (I'm from Mich).

9. BierStein711

BierStein711 Savant (250) Illinois Oct 12, 2011

So, does anyone know if Beamish is ever going to return to the US?

10. zsk

zsk Aficionado (190) Ohio Jan 13, 2006

Salado Creek in Texas and Miami Trail in Ohio are the two breweries I miss the most. Devil Mountain had some good ones too.

11. Tut

Tut Savant (400) New York Sep 23, 2004

My friends and I loved Perfect Porter. The recipe should still exist. We've always hoped another brewery would obtain the rights and bring it back. The best porter I ever had!

garbercury likes this.
  12. ypsifly

ypsifly Savant (400) Michigan Sep 22, 2004

From MI, I wanted to see Duster's expand. Local Color in Novi showed promise as well. I liked the Tom Boy Red and their Pilsener. I REALLY liked drinking at Kraftbrau in Kzoo when my sister's band played there. Great beers and the location was awesome.

I also have good memories of Grant's, Catamount, North Western, New Amsterdam. We seemed to get a lot of random stuff available back then that might not have made it here today with distribution the way it is. There was even a time when we could get Three Floyds in Ann Arbor. Got it at Village Corner...I miss that place.

aaronanderson likes this.
  13. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (555) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

And New Amsterdam had a pub. NYC had the old Thompson Street Brewery and it was awesome as well. Then they had the Salm Taproom, which took the place of another place I can't think of right now.

14. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Seek out O'Hara's Irish Stout.

15. SABERG

SABERG Advocate (505) Massachusetts Sep 16, 2007

Catamount Amber was poured at our wedding so long ago!
    Their porter was fabulous
    Cheers

16. That's up to Heineken International and Heineken USA. Beamish was one of the Scottish & Newcastle breweries and brands that would wind up in Heineken's basket when they and Carlsberg bought S&N and divided up the company. Heineken soon closed the brewery and moved production of the beer crosstown to Murphy's and, about the same time, stopped exporting it to the US (which at the time was handled by the now defunct "Carlsberg USA").

One would image their thinking was "Why compete with ourselves for the #2 Irish Stout spot in the US market?" but the curious thing is that the Murphy's imported into the US isn't even brewed in Ireland, but in Heineken-owned S&N brewery in the UK or by Heineken itself in The Netherlands.

[​IMG]
    Note, too, that Heineken USA no longer even imports the beer themselves. Heineken actually had two different US import divisions, but closed the secondary one (by then known as "Star Brands") a few years back and made deals with a few independent US importers for their many other European brands, leaving Heineken USA to concentrate of the flagship brand, Amstel, Newcastle and their recently purchased FEMSA brands. Most of the other Heineken brands wound up with US Beverage and TBS. So, if Beamish were to return, it's probably also involve one of the latter two companies.

Bitterbill likes this.
  17. macster

On our ski trips to VT back in the 80's we always would seek out Catamount beers. Very tasty!!

18. macster

Was hard to believe that the Bert Grant brand just vanished and nobody purchased the rights to the brand and reproduced his beers. Most of his line was top notch. Being a hop-head I recall his Scottish Ale being the hoppiest malty style beer I ever tasted at the time!!

19. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I honestly don't "see" what all the fuss is about re Beamish. IIRC, it came in Nitro cans and Nitro does thing unpleasant, imho, to beers. Again..I recommend O'Hara's Irish Stout. In bottles. No nitro bs to deal with.

20. I live in Connecticut and we had Hammer and Nail that produced some great beers a few years back, but sadly they are no more.

Mersh likes this.
  21. It was purchased, badly managed, and closed.

22. Clay Pipe Brewing

23. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

McFarlane Brewing in Phoenix in the 90's. Arizona's best brewery. Fantastic Hefe-Weizen, Maibock, and others. Too bad it didn't work out.

[​IMG]

24. I remember them from work trips to Mesa.

Another I enjoyed was Coyote Springs in my early brewpub tourist days.

25. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

McFarlane had a taproom at the brewing facility by the airport too. I had far too many $2/pints there for my own good. It was like a small family there. And for awhile, their beers were quite widespread in Tempe/S.Scottsdale areas.

26. Yeah, was in Scottsdale/Tempe/Mesa a lot in the 90s, a little in the 00s, not at all now.

27. Oh how I miss the Orchard Street beers. Someone somewhere must be using that recipe... No?

beertunes likes this.
  28. IIRC- Terry Foster, who wrote the Pale Ale and Porter books in the BA Beer Style series way back when, was consulted on that recipe. It definitely had a classic English feel to it.

29. That's the same brewery. They moved to Ohio shortly afterward. They also had a great porter.

30. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,120) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Not that I can say with any certainty, but I've heard gossip that maybe, sorta, kinda, somebody who used to work there, passed along info, blah, yadda, chatter, noise, sound. Whatevs, they made solid and enjoyable brews. Easily available at a reasonable price. And, again, I really miss the Stock Ale.

31. Mersh

Mersh Advocate (575) Connecticut Mar 10, 2013

I agree with ya there brother. Hammer and Nail was a great CT brewer. Definitely miss them.

32. http://greatbrewers.com/brand/melbourn-bros
    This one! I miss that apricot nectar. It was delectable! ( one of my former beau's drank the last bottle i bought after he broke it off with me, and i was never able to find it again). I am sad this brewery no longer exists!

33. Isn't the same product that is now sold as Samuel Smith's Organic Apricot Ale? MdV's website still says that beer is "... brewed and fermented at Melbourn Bros. Brewery in Stamford; then blended, conditioned and packaged at Samuel Smith's Old Brewery in Tadcaster;"

They also note that the original Melbourne was "closed in the 1970s, restoration with respect for the historical brewing equipment was begun by Samuel Smith's in the 1990s."

34. The Devil Mountain brand was bought by Seagrams and was contract-brewed at Hudepohl-Schoenling. Seagrams and Boston Beer Co. later had a sort of joint venture to market the beer, which was eventually also contract brewed by BBC after they bought H-S in Cincinnati. Here's a quote from a SEC filing for BBC, in 1997:

35. Never was a fan of the seasonal diabetic-coma-in-a-bottle that was Screaming Pumpkin, but MBC was a solid brewery beyond this, IMO. Their IPA, High Seas, was no-frills but perfectly executed, and their line of Celis beers were delicious (even though a pale shadow of the originals Celis crafted, from what I understand). Sure, the brewpub didn't have AC, and the peanut shells on the floor made you feel like you were taking a trip back in time to the Ground Round, but goods times and great beers were always had there.

I'll see you Local Color, and raise you Leopold Brothers - both operations who cut their teeth in craft beer, before moving on to focus primarily on spirit distillation. While LC diversified too much and eventually failed, Leopold - again, another great place to drink for hours, decent enough beer but with a far better jukebox - stopped brewing altogether for a short time before pulling up their roots and heading over to Colorado.

Copper Canyon, while still in operation, is far from the quality brewery of their beginnings. While I don't wish bad things upon anyone, I wish they'd at least stop making sub-par beers under the names of the ones that made them. The fact that they survived, and yet Bonfire Bistro in Northville closed their doors, is ponderous.

36. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Hole's, Simpkiss, Yorkshire Clubs, Shipstone, Wem, Tetley, King & Barnes, Wethered, Boddington, Vaux, Hartley, Home Ales, Westcrown, Hardy & Hanson's, Oldham, Darley's, Ward's, Hull Brewery, Mansfield, to name a few.

37. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

I thought so. I did some research after this I originally posted that, and did find info that they had sold out and the "company" moved to Ohio. I didn't know it was Seagrams that had bought them, though.
    So does Boston Beer now own the trademarks and recipes for the old Devil Mountain Brewing? Or is it still technically Seagrams, who is just sitting on it doing nothing?

38. Right but it used to be branded as Melbourne. Apparently i skimmed through the article and did not read it as closely as I could have.
    [​IMG]
    I have purchased the sam smith version and plan to try it out soon :D.

39. [​IMG]

The first barley wine that I tried. And one of my first strong beers in general.

40. Still around, dude