1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

OHB Seven Devils

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by JdoubleA, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Being bottled as we speak... Errr type/read... Whatever. Anyways coming out really soon. Be on the lookout. This one got gone with the quickness last year. I didn't even get a bottle. Sure, I had a bunch on draft, but the bottles disappeared.
    SwillBilly likes this.
  2. I have been dying to try this beer, looking forward to seeing it hit shelves
    wolfeman007 likes this.
  3. This one didn't do it for me last year. If the price is the same ($7-8), though, I'd give it another whirl.
    Onenote81 likes this.
  4. Handle

Handle Savant (345) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

I thought this was excellent last year. I know many will say I'm crazy, but I think it stands up to Backwoods Bastard (which I also love).
  5. I absolutely loved this one. Still have one from last year b/c I was curious on how it would age. Can't wait to get some this year. Can you say 2 year vertical? Or is there a minimum requirement on those? Who cares!? I'm doing a Vertical Devil!
  6. Completely agree....thought the same thing when I tried it.
    wolfeman007 likes this.
  7. really enjoyed this one fresh. but didn't think it stood the test of time the few times i tried it this fall. not that that's a bad thing, just means i'll drink them quicker.
    wmobley likes this.
  8. Handle

I was going to say the same. I loved it fresh, actually felt it fell off a bit when I had it on draft at Duckworth's for the Event Horizon release. But your mileage may vary!
  9. loved this beer - hope to get some morethis time around
  10. once new batch hits, lets get up have a 2yr vertical :)
    Handle likes this.
  11. I tend to think all the Olde Hickory barrel aged beers are best fresh.
    zencigar and commis like this.
  12. We're getting 2 cases I think and that's it (The Wine Merchant in Cary, NC)
    flipdog0 likes this.
  13. Handle

At the Event Horizon release at Duckworth's, I found that I preferred the 2011 over both the 2012 and the 2010 (which Curtis generously brought to share). All were great, though.
  14. Nice. When I compared my closet aged bottle of 2011 vs the fresh 2012, I preferred the 2012 but my 2011 bottles were obviously not stored under the best conditions.
  15. Handle

FYI, I saw that both Brawley's and Good Bottle Co. received this today (and perhaps other shops as well).
  16. Brawley has it and he's starting to make some changes in the store and its shaping up nicely
    Bung and Handle like this.
  17. thats what I said last year. Only BA Wee Heavy that sits in the same league with BB.
    ewright likes this.
  18. Got a bottle from Salud in noda today. Looking forward to drinking it
  19. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Last year was ok, needs more carbonation.
  20. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

Wow, this year's release is amazingly good. Agree with Handle and VncentLIFE, very close to BB. Great aroma, perfect carbonation and a slightly thicker mouthfeel than I remember from last year. Home run for OHB!
  21. Pappy van muckle by sun king can hold its own with these beers. I can't wait to try 7 devils this year!
    CBlack85 likes this.
  22. Seven Devils is currently being sold at Bestway for $6.50 each

I can't pass up quality this good for this price
    brstls4drmrs and flipdog0 like this.
  23. got two at tasty. yay!
  24. I got to try this today, just as good as I remembered it! Another winner OHB!
  25. ewright

So good I grabbed another 3 today. Wish I could justify the coin to buy it by the case!

I think it far surpasses the first release. Thicker mouthfeel, better carbonation, tons of bourbon on the nose (smells like it was aged in used Event Horizon barrels). Last year was a 3.5, this year is a 4.5.
  26. This is great news. I can't wait to get some.
  27. ewright

Go. Now. I know beer disappears around Raleigh a bit faster than other parts of the state, but my store only got a few cases and didn't expect it to last through the end of the day tomorrow.
  28. JD had about 15 sitting on the counter at Beer Study this evening when I left at 9.
  29. Just picked up a bottle at Total Wine for $6.99. It looked like they received 4 cases (I think?). Loved this beer on draft last year. I had it a bunch of times at Duckworth's, but never had it from a bottle. Going to "cellar" it for a month (or 2) before popping it.