1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ohio - House Bill 356

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Hindsight, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Hindsight

Hindsight Aficionado (245) Ohio Oct 8, 2011

Does anyone have any updates on this bill (increasing the abv from 12% to 21%)? I emailed Rep. Ramos, who is the sponsor for the bill, earlier this week. Not really expecting to hear anything back. Cheers.
    gpawned likes this.
  2. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Haven't heard about this but I like it!
  3. sweatervest27

sweatervest27 Savant (260) Ohio Oct 13, 2009

All I want for Christmas...
    Blueribbon666 and NABS like this.
  4. InebriatedJoker

InebriatedJoker Champion (800) Ohio Sep 16, 2010

I hope they pass this bill , It's completely Hippocratic to be able to buy 151 and Everclear but not a beer over 12%.. Come on Ohio let us have BCBS ...
    Blueribbon666 likes this.
  5. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

I searched on the state's website to check on the status. It was introduced 10/26/11 and assigned to the State Government & Elections Committee. Cosponsored by 8 other reps and has gone nowhere as of now. raises ABV to 21% as stated and also adds a new subsection pertaining to caffeine & other stimulants.
    Here is a link to the webpage http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=129_HB_356

This is the new subsection 4301.71

Sec. 4301.71. Except as otherwise provided in this section, no beer containing more than twelve per cent of alcohol by volume shall include caffeine or other stimulants, including guarana, ginseng, or taurine.

This section does not apply to beer that has incidental amounts of caffeine from coffee, chocolate, or tea.

6. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

I keep trying to think of what their justification could be for an ABV cap and I'm coming up with nothing. Even making you buy high alcohol beer in a liquor store wouldn't make sense - you can grab watered down ~40 proof junk liquor on the shelf of a grocery store!

Someone start a petition to have this bill put on the table again.
    JohnnyMc and Blueribbon666 like this.
  7. NABS

NABS Aficionado (185) Ohio May 11, 2011

This would be a pretty big game-changer. I would love to see this back to the forefront and passed!
    JohnnyMc, JM03 and whodeyvols like this.
  8. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Hmm, I don't remember Hippocrates writing anything about Everclear in the Oath...:p
  9. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (650) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

I could have sworn it failed but maybe it was just tabled. There are a lot of big players pushing to keep this from happening and few of any consequence fighting for it. Add in the fact that these sorts of bills get attached to other bills and it becomes even easier to lose track of it or prevent it from being passed.

Doesn't matter what makes sense here, it's all about who's involved and whether there is significant and measurable benefit for making the change. Frankly making a few dozen beer geeks happy that they can buy BCBS and Utopias in state isn't much of a motivator. I remember seeing some quotes from industry folks claiming it would create jobs but I'm not sure if even I buy that, so it's but likely any politician would either.

I'm sure this will change eventually but not likely in the short term...
    DavoleBomb likes this.
  10. TomTwanks

Who are these players?
  11. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

BMC, Vinyards, Wine/Spirits producers etc.....
  12. TomTwanks

Ahh, it all makes sense. Still a shame :mad:
  13. AJacob81

AJacob81 Savant (255) Illinois Mar 15, 2010

AB-InBev should support this, seeing as they now produce what is arguably the best/most popular beer of over 12% in these United States...

I kinda threw up in my mouth typing that, but BCBS is still pretty fantastic.
  14. warrenout330

warrenout330 Aficionado (240) Ohio Oct 19, 2012

This has been in the works for years..... as far as a response from or even a agreement from the Senate of the state is a long shot......the only way they will ever change this law is if they really see a profit margin and or if a cash flow from new product. What it really comes down to is the power of a single bottled beverage. This means a single serve beverage " in their eyes" can be controlled upon to a alcohol cap.... in a single serve container.. what really doesn't help us is everybody wants a stronger alc% in a (24oz can) the state feels the need to control this by putting a cap on Ohio... I'm sorry but Ohio is a alc% fiend in regards to high alcohol % in single serves... more bang from our Buck in inner cities for a lesser price which the state makes pennies upon pennies of profit. They want to see dollars! !!
  15. astebelton

astebelton Aficionado (150) Ohio Jan 5, 2012

I can't see any movement on this for a while - at least until after the new legislature convenes in January.
  16. kryptic

kryptic Aficionado (115) Ohio Sep 3, 2007

Actually you can't buy real full proof everclear in Ohio either, as there is also a liquor abv cap.
  17. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

Liquor Schmiquor, I'm sick of hoarding beers over 12% because I don't know when I'll be able to get them again. Ohio is one of the best states for beer, so why not make it better?

12% ABV cap? I ain't even 'bout it.
  18. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if some Ohio brewers fudge the numbers on their bottles and they're really higher than 12%....
  19. pest

pest Savant (385) Ohio Sep 2, 2007

Wasn't this the bill that got lumped into the state budget vote last year? Pretty sure it died when that budget didn't get approved.
  20. kryptic

kryptic Aficionado (115) Ohio Sep 3, 2007

I don't know about Ohio brewers, but I know at least a couple out of state brewers have done it before to allow certain beers of theirs to be sold here.
    joshrosborne likes this.
  21. Corbet

It's quite the coincidence that Curmudgeon's Better Half clocks in at 11.9%
  22. pest

pest Savant (385) Ohio Sep 2, 2007

My favorite is the iced beers that have the same abv as their non iced counterparts
  23. I would raise it to 45% ABV myself, but my constituency is just a bunch of Drunks!!!!!!!!!!

OH
    NABS likes this.
  24. Hindsight

As I mentioned in my original post, I reached out to Rep. Ramos (the sponsor of the bill) and here is his reply. Worth a read if you have a couple of minutes. If anyone knows registered brewers that would be interested in providing testimony, as he states, please reach out to them. I think there is a strong enough contention here on BA, we just may be able to make this thing grow legs.

Thank you for writing me in regards to H.B. 356, which would raise the ABV limit in beers produced in Ohio from 12% to 21%. This bill has been assigned to the committee on State Government and Elections, and I would certainly still like to see this legislation through to its passage.

This bill received its first committee hearing earlier this year, but has yet to be brought back before the committee for further consideration. The legislature, with the exception of pension reform legislation which took place this summer, has been on recess since June and will not resume activity until mid-November.

In Ohio, the chairperson of each respective committee has discretion as to what bills are called forward for consideration. In order for this bill to be considered before the 129th General Assembly dissolves at the end of the year, the committee chairperson, Representative Ron Magg, will need to call it forward. If you wish to express your thoughts on this legislation with the chairperson, you may do so via the following:
    The Honorable Ron Maag
    77 S. High St, 13th Floor
    Columbus, OH 43215
    E: [email protected]
    P: [​IMG]614-644-6023

In addition, I am still seeking independent licensed brewers who are interested in this legislation to potentially provide additional testimony – should this legislation be called for second hearing. At the end of each two year period, the General Assembly dissolves and all pending legislation is discarded. When the new 130th General Assembly forms in January, they will begin from a clean slate and, if this legislation is introduced again, it will receive a new bill number at that time.

Thank you for your interest in H.B. 356 and if there is any way in which I can be of service to you on this matter, or any other, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Sincerely,

[​IMG]
    Dan Ramos
    State Representative
    56th Ohio House District
    Office: [​IMG]614-466-5141
    [email protected]
    Chrome_Dome likes this.
  25. Eastside151

In my opinion Hindsight you should draft a short form letter (email) attach the response and send it to every brewer in the state that you can think of to inform them/solicit their backing for this bill. Everyone on here from Ohio should send an email to Representative Maag backing the bill as well.
    JohnnyMc and Hindsight like this.
  26. Breylan

Breylan Aficionado (130) Ohio Jan 11, 2011

I just heard back from Rep. Magg's office. He has decided to not call the bill this year, but it will be reintroduced in January.

I actually started this process before I was aware of this thread and got a similar response from Rep Ramos. I reached out to some friends who are close with local brewers in Columbus (CBC, Elevator), but haven't heard back yet. It may be futile, but a concentrated effort early next year, coupled with a few brewers who are willing to appear as Rep. Ramos requested, could help the process. If those of you in other parts of the state want to organize on this a bit, I would be eager to keep after this.
    JohnnyMc and Chrome_Dome like this.
  27. Eastside151

Breylan & Hindsight, I live in the Northeast Ohio area, I'll contact around here to try to bring attention and gain support. Let me know if you need or want any help.
  28. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Nihilists
    MarcatGSB likes this.
  29. joshrosborne

joshrosborne Savant (290) Michigan Jun 14, 2010

Like Double Crooked Tree...
  30. Hindsight

31. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Seriously though, if InBev wants to sell Bourbon County in Ohio then they'll get the law changed.
  32. Bonis

Bonis Savant (410) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

Should be interesting to see if anything becomes of this. Of course I signed it and I encourage all you other Ohioans to do so as well. I am sick of having to drive out of state to get certain beers!
    JohnnyMc likes this.
  33. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

34. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

This makes me freaking NUTS, if you are the big player then what the hell are you afraid of?? Competition from the little guys who barely sniff @ YOUR sales, even a tenth of your sales? Not only are you a bully boardering on dictatorship by preventing free enterprise but it just shows you have no faith in the quality of your product.:mad:
  35. Spider889

It's not just InBev, organizations like MADD are also typically vehemently against changes to liquor laws of this nature.
  36. Corbet

Gotta love it, obviously all the alcoholics are reaching for the high-priced high-alcohol beer instead of a 5th of Vodka for $10 :confused:
    JohnnyMc, Keffa and Spider889 like this.
  37. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (500) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Damn homeless people and their Worldwide Stout.
  38. Spider889

Damn, I thought the hobos drank Utopias. What is this society coming to?
  39. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (500) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

No, they've moved on to The End Of History and Tactical Nuclear Penguin. Brewdog makes the cool beers for the bums.
  40. Unfortunately this is the real problem. Ohio's MADD chapter wields tremendous political power in Ohio, and they aren't afraid of using it. A lot of people in Columbus are afraid of crossing them.