1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ohio Specialties?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by MJSJr, Apr 21, 2013.

1. MJSJr

MJSJr Member

I live in the Northeast Ohio area. Does anyone have any suggestions for things that are brewed locally? I have tried much of the Great Lakes catalog, but I'm wondering if there are any "local secrets" that are worthy of a taste. Any suggestions?
  2. beercanman

beercanman Member

Fat heads, brew kettle, hoppin frog, nano brew, Willoughby brewing, thirsty dog for breweries.
    Simones, rozis, north coast, lizardville, beverage warehouse, ross's deli, sams for bottles.
    Deagans, Tremont taphouse and world of beer for taps.
  3. riemster

riemster Member

I live in NE Ohio as well. Erik's Grocery Bag, Acme Grocery Stores, and 101 Bottles are some other decent bottle shops. I believe there is a new brewery called Portside and possibly another one around the Akron area, but I don't know the name. A meadery in Canton Ohio is also starting to make beer. I can't think of anything else that hasn't been mentioned now.
  4. beercanman

beercanman Member

I had a portside porter the other day that wasn't to bad
  5. MJSJr

MJSJr Member

Great, I haven't been able to find a place that sells decent beer anywhere where I live. Thanks for the replies!
  6. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Member

If you're on the Eastside, Save-on Tobacco and Red Wine and Brew are places you must shop for beer.
  7. 5thOhio

5thOhio Member

Brewkettle has a worthy tap selection, plus $3.75 house offerings during happy hour.
    beercanman likes this.
  8. jampics2

jampics2 Member

Oh dear God no. That place is where beer goes to die. More of a beer museum than a beer store.
  9. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Member

I've seen plenty of good beers there that were just fine...but Save-on is my Eastside go-to
  10. MJSJr

MJSJr Member

Save-on is really close to where I live. What is their selection like?
  11. sjc83

sjc83 Member

good some old stuff, but very good selection.