1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

OK... I must admit, DIPA's are beginning to grow on me...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Bradystraps, Feb 21, 2013.

1. :D

At first, the HUGE grapefruit/citrus bang just overwhelmed me. I have been used to drinking Dubbels and Quads and having that strong malty taste. I tried Lg Sucks and Nugget Nectar and was like "WOW... that's some serious grapefruit!". Now, they are growing on me to the point I was craving one tonight.

A question... can someone recommend me a DIPA witout the tremendously strong grapefruit taste? I'd like to try something a little more subtle in the citrus area.

Thanks in advance for the input. :cool:

tronester likes this.
  2. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (955) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Jerry and Eastside151 like this.
  3. hopnotch someone I know called it the pliny killer so of course I had to try it LOVED it easy and smooth BUT def has intensity great beer hand down underrated

ThirstyFace likes this.
  4. DFH 90 minute comes to mind or Ruination (piney notes)

gwdavis and Zimm like this.
  5. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

Double Crooked Tree by Darkhorse

6. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

7. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

Avery Maharaja, Six Point Resin, Weyerbacher Double Simcoe and Dogfish Burton Baton are some good ones that might be around your way.

Zimm likes this.
  8. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I'm just about on a six month rotation between stouts/porters/browns and overdoses of hops. I'm returning to hops the last few weeks. After a trip to Denver and getting spoiled with Pliney the Elder and other excellent Double/Imperial IPAs on tap (why get a regular IPA when a Double/Imperial is available) I've been stuck in the bigger is better mindset. I love that Double/Imperial IPAs are a distinct style apart from regular IPAs, and I LOVE them. They're freaking hop bombs, but they have an incredible malt backbone to support it.

IAmJacksHopTongue likes this.
  9. Definitely- all oranges and grilled pineapple, no grapefruit- and pure bliss.

Josh33, beercanman and BeerMeInStl like this.
  10. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (580) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

most of the DIPA's I've had dont seem to be as bitter as regular IPA's, which is why I enjoy them more. Lots of flavor without kicking ur tongue. Sucks comes to mind. Love that stuff.

randjuke and mecummins like this.
  11. I didnt know there was a lot of DIPAs without the tremendously strong grapefruit taste. Thats one of the reasons Ive been avoiding them.

12. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Exactly. I'd absolutely agree that they're "hoppier" which, perhaps, equates to more bitter. But they have the strong malty, caramely, full-bodied backbone to support it all. Which typically results in a more balanced brew. Some of my favorite beers are IPAs, and it's absolutely one of my favorite styles. But I'd have to say I like Double/Imperial IPA's as a style a little bit more.

13. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

OP—do youuuuuu want sweet-juicy-fruity grapefruit kinda character? Or biting-citrus-zest-bitterness kinda grapefruit character? Or both. Because that is a perfectly acceptable option.

14. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Mazal tov

15. Ri0

Have you had many Imperial Reds? I love them for their hops and sticky malts.

joefc and ChefHopMeister like this.
  16. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (540) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Gubna has HUGE grapefruit taste.

17. Cottzilla

Cottzilla Savant (265) Ohio Dec 2, 2010

Ri0 likes this.
  18. Sooooonnnn they will consume your soul!

19. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Shorts "Liberator" is a huge grapefruit bomb, but you'd have to trade for it.

20. Port Mongo IPA

nootch23, fox227 and ChefHopMeister like this.
  21. xanok

xanok Savant (415) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

Gandhi Bot is pretty heavy on the grapefruit.

CTJman likes this.
  22. You should definitely look for Ghandi Bot when it comes out. Really solid IPA that you can get local and fresh.

Since you are in CT, I definitely recommend a trip to HF at some point. No matter what they have on at that moment, they are sure to have an IPA or two you will want to get a growler of.

23. Ri0

The OP wants DIPA's without grapefruit flavor.

24. Where does it day that? He actually explicitly says he used to hate them and now he is craving them (after Lagunitas Sucks and Nugget Nectar).

Also to add another suggestion, if you want grapefruit, I would look for some fresh Smuttynose Finestkind. All grapefruit and huge bitterness but really tasty.

xxbillay likes this.
  25. Ri0

Huh?

26. He was making a suggestion for a beer he should stay away from :D

Have you had Smuttynose's 'Big A'? Coronado's 'Idiot' is worth a try. I can't remember when Hoptimum comes out but it would be worth a shot..along with Founder's Double Trouble.

27. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Savant (475) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

Yep. I just had another one of these. It's my 'go to' beer. So good!

beercanman and Ri0 like this.
  28. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I got zero citrus from Gubna. All I got was onion and fish.

RWNay and kpanter like this.
  29. That's what I get for only reading the first half of the post...damn it...:D

Bradystraps likes this.
  30. Holsie

Holsie Initiate (0) South Carolina Jun 27, 2012

DFH 90 with a silky malt backbone and overlooked now. A "ninety" is always a good choice.

xxbillay and ChefHopMeister like this.
  31. A
    sleeper in the crowd! I love Mongo.

mrelizabeth likes this.
  32. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (625) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Grapefruit is probably my favorite flavor in a beer. I seek that shit out.

Mercury4040 and caponeduke like this.
  33. alex021224

alex021224 Savant (315) Michigan Nov 3, 2012

Two DIPAs that everyone should try are Great Lakes Alchemy Hour and Greenbush Brother Benjamin. Tried both for the first time tonight and have been VERY satisfied with both. Cheers!!!

34. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

If you are anywhere near SD, Societe just released The Roustabout. It's a IIPA to rival Younger.

Simtra from Knee Deep is awesome, and available in bottles in SoCal. Some goes for their other IIPA, Hop Shortage, but that puppy is brewed with American hops, so it takes on a rougher, less fruity character.

Pliny the Elder is always a safe bet. And Stone's next Enjoy By comes out this week, provided your market is one of the "lucky" winners.

35. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

You need to try the Pupil from Societe and Nelson from Alpine.

BottleCaps80 and Mercury4040 like this.
  36. sfsean28

sfsean28 Savant (390) New Jersey Dec 17, 2008

Nugget Nectar is fantastic and I've been drinking so much of them and getting immuned to them that they feel like mild IPAs.

37. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

Give some fresh Weyerbacher Double Simcoe a try. One of my favorites.

xxbillay likes this.
  38. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (865) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

All I can think of when I see the title is.. LUPULIN THRESHOLD SHIFT IN PROGRESS

stayclean likes this.
  39. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

Drinking one right now and it does not disappoint. Very Good!

Ri0 likes this.
  40. cway2031

cway2031 Zealot (90) Illinois Jan 27, 2013

I think that Rye Da Tiger is the greatest Double IPA in the world!!!!!!