OK... I must admit, DIPA's are beginning to grow on me...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Bradystraps, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Kern River Brewing Company's CITRA is my personal favorite, although I only got two bottles this year...:mad:

2. Once you have a Double Jack you won't go back.

3. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Such a great beer. I just cracked open a bottle with a year on it - barleywine city. I expect that it's hitting soon (Feb beer IIRC)

4. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

That made me literally laugh out loud. Well played!

5. A
    L
    P
    I
    N
    E

B
    R
    O

EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  6. BillMC518

BillMC518 Aspirant (30) New York Feb 20, 2013

I like the Firestone Double Jacks myself. They come in a 4 pack at 9.5%. But any of the beers mentioned above will be on my search list.

7. atomic

atomic Savant (455) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Thats how I feel. I don't usually like the standard run of the mill IPA much, but a DIPA I will drink with glee.
    Especially hopslam.

this is a rather unusual thing to post as I am currently drinking revolution anti-hero and absolutely love it.

8. atomic

atomic Savant (455) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Yea? I know a place that stocked to their eyeballs in it. I should go help them out.

9. I've had this experience too. Strange.

10. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (285) California Feb 14, 2011

I'm glad you finally admitted it. It was ridiculous when you would not.

11. 90 minute from DFH and Green Flash Imperial IPA. 90 minute is more sweet and balanced, and green flash is more onion.

cjoc83 likes this.
  12. CTJman

CTJman Champion (795) Connecticut Jan 14, 2013

If he only lived in CT

13. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Not trying to be a dick, but if you think NN and Sucks taste like grapefruit then these coming recommendations will not be helpful.

14. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

You and half of the other responders missed the point, OP does not want a grapefruit DIPA.

15. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Oops. That's where I stopped reading.

16. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Mongo and or Hopsickle. I always thought Hopsickle was a big beer and it is, but I had them on tap back to back and the Mongo was killer good. Two of the best after work bad day beers available.

17. VDODSON

VDODSON Savant (310) North Dakota Feb 5, 2013

Double IPA's are the pinnacle of flavor, it will send your tastebuds into shock. I remember the first time I had an Abrasive, as soon as I opened the can I was hit with a huge grapefruit smell. One of the best beers to date I have ever had, its a shame its seasonal and not avaible in ND.

18. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

The Pliny killer has a name, and the name is Heady

cjoc83 and SFACRKnight like this.
  19. nc41

Fresh HT and or Abrasive is an amazing thing, but the OP was looking for a piney resinous DIPA not a grapefruit bomb. I see the OP lives in CT and Alchemist is probably not a killer drive. Hell I'd do it, and I've done it from NC.

Falcone likes this.
  20. Yep... it'll be on my Spring weekend get-away list. :cool:

nc41 likes this.
  21. I tried the Lag Sumpin Sumpin last night and wasn't blown away. It was decent but nothing I would buy again. The Sucks and Nugget Nectar were far better IMO.

22. nc41

Nice, next time in I'm staying an extra day so I can hit Lawsons delivery and HF. Have to say that Prohibition Pig and Blackback are great places to have a brew.

23. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Savant (385) Ohio May 13, 2008

Really? Have you had other 3 Floyds DIPA's? I've had this in my fridge but have been sitting on it a bit since I'm not sure my stance on this Rye craze yet.

24. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Savant (385) Ohio May 13, 2008

Whatever you do don't drink that Nugget Nectar after Sucks. NN was definitely a disappointment to me. Very subtle beer. Hell I love Tröegs Perpetual and think its much more of a hop head beer. Sucks is amazing as well.

25. Probably the bitterest DIPA I've ever had (not in a bad way). Shorts is perhaps the most interesting microbrewery in the Midwest.

HopHeadHerman likes this.
  26. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

I was commenting on the post I quoted, not the OP :D

27. Actually, I may prefer NN over Sucks. I will hit them both again and compare. One things for sure, the NN is the most beautiful colored beer I have ever seen. Looks gorgeous in the glass and makes it even more refreshing.

cjoc83 likes this.
  28. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (470) Florida Jul 13, 2011

What he said

sunkistxsudafed likes this.
  29. Sarge3130

Sarge3130 Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 13, 2012

Founders Double Trouble = grapefruit Bomb

30. Has anyone had Mayflower IPA? How does it compare to the others mentioned here? Also need to try Sierra Nevada Torpedo.

31. abkayak

abkayak Savant (390) New York Jan 8, 2013

2le Simcoe.....has gotten me to seek out all Weyerbacher brews.....all.

32. I was drinking some Founder's Double Trouble last night and thought to myself, "This is one of the maltier DIPAs I've had." So, if you still like a solid malt undertone, without the intense citrus-y hops that some other DIPAs have, you might like to try that. Don't get me wrong, though, as there is still a hop presence as well.

33. I am quickly becoming a fan of the DIPA taste of hops and citrus. Amazing how my taste for this style has just come alive.

34. RWNay

RWNay Savant (465) Illinois Oct 7, 2010

Was that last years Double Trouble? Or did this one come out already this year? According to the website, its scheduled for May-June. Maybe its more malty because its old?

35. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Double jack
    Myrcenary
    Maharaja
    Dry Dock DIPA
    Ska decadent
    I could go on for days.

36. Uh NN does not have a huge grapefruit flavor nor is it a DIPA. Just sayin'.

37. Understood. I stated earlier, that even though it is classified as an "Amber/Red Ale" it really is more of a DIPA in many people's views. I def taste the grapefruit. Not strong, but it's there.

38. RWNay, I honestly didn't even look. It's certainly possible that it was last year's release, and that could explain the maltier taste. It's also the first time I've purchased it, so I didn't have a previous experience to compare it to. Have you had fresh Double Trouble before, and if so, how did you find the taste ?

40. ahh, I love when my phone + browser + BA all work together to bring us posts that make no sense.

cjoc83 likes this.