1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

OK... I must admit, DIPA's are beginning to grow on me...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Bradystraps, Feb 21, 2013.

1. I much prefer DIPAs to regular IPAs. They are usually more balanced INMHO (stronger malt). Check out Avery Maharaja, Great Divide Hercules, and Oscar Blue Gubna

2. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

I had one of these last night, keeping in mind I also had a Citra the night before, lets just say I was a touch let down.

Head_Shot likes this.
  3. RWNay

RWNay Savant (465) Illinois Oct 7, 2010

A few years ago it was one of my favorites! Last year I bought some and it didn't have the same appeal to me that it once had. But I recall it having a lemon flavor and it being more hop-forward. It does have a nice malty balance, and is a little sticky but for my taste buds, I wouldn't put it in the maltier category. I do look forward to having this one again this year in the late spring. Good beer!

4. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Drink enough DIPA's and there's a huge difference between world class and just good.

5. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

It is the same on my end as well and back in the day when I didn't like hoppier beers at all, I avoided DIPAs because I just assumed that they would be worse. But then over time and as I started to appreciate the hoppier brews I figured I would give a few a shot, and I liked them better than most IPAs I had.

6. brewfly

brewfly Zealot (75) New York Dec 13, 2012

pyramid outburst

7. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

If you want something less citrusy, you might just wanna go with a regular IPA and not a DIPA...

Sixpoint Bengali Tiger is a great, creamy IPA that has some citrus hops but a nice malty backbone.
    Founder Centennial IPA is a great malty IPA as well.
    Actually, Burton Baton (DfH) is a really great DIPA, and very smooth as it's a blend of old ale and DIPA, also aged on wood chips.

8. Holsie

Holsie Initiate (0) South Carolina Jun 27, 2012

Agree with Alchemy--excellent DIPA that gets overlooked

9. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

This is a hard one to track down. Probably my most sought after beer right now.