1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ok I've done some research, but I am off to QC

Discussion in 'Canada' started by smakawhat, May 3, 2012.

1. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

I am going to be in Quebec City this weekend, anything that I shouldn't miss?

I've already seen there's plenty of good shops and micro brasseries, I see there's a lot of reviews for
    La Barberie

I'll try to sneak it in if I can, but anything else I shouldn't miss?

Thanks,

-e
  2. On your way to Qc you'll pass trois-rivières. I'd make a stop around there in Shawinigan and hit up the Trou Du Diable pub. If there's a micro you need to drink from it's that one (especially around that area)
  3. smakawhat

I don't know if I can fit her in... but we shall see. thanks kindly for the tip.
  4. You should try Le Corsaire on the south banks of St-Lawrence River.

I really like the beers from Archibald... however, they are not out of this world beer... just pretty decent beer, nothing extreme.

La Korrigane in downtown, and not so far away from La Barberie, offer good beers. Their selection is not extreme beers but they usually have other micro beers on-tap which I always like to try out.

A new pub, never been there to this date, is la microbrasserie des Beaux-Prés. Its a guy from Dieu du Ciel and I hear they have some DDC beers on tap.
  5. smakawhat

Well it was a pretty neat trip, ironically I only found two bottle shops, one where I didn't buy a 2010 vintage of Lupulus, the other Ja Moisan had some ok selection (grabbed some Hibernus). On the drive up I went trough a small cute town with a microbrasserie called Dunham. I didn't have the time to stop in but I was really wishing I could have. I was ironically in La Korrigane for... 30 seconds and the kitchen wasn't going to be open for 3 more hours so we split...

The SAC offers nothing.. note to self.
  6. What was the other shop you went? La duchesse d'aiguillon?
  7. smakawhat

It was the market out in the old city ,Marché du Vieux-Port de Québec
  8. smakawhat

Fark that was the one I couldn't FIND... AUGH so close.. drove me nuts.
  9. Yeah, they have a pretty pretty good selection.

The Marché du Vieux-Port de Québec is ok but not close to the selection at Duchesse.

Next time... maybe?

Did you went to La Barberie? If yes I want to know how your experience was? Mine are always good but for some its not always good...
  10. smakawhat

I didn't make it to the La Barberie brewpub, I was certainly close but I was way too busy running around with other stuff. Their beers though are sold throughout many places, they were in just about every Dépanneur I was at.

Their RIS is very GOOD (at least out of the bottle).
  11. And don't forget to dine in St Hubert at least once to get that authentic Quebecois culinary experience...
    smakawhat likes this.
  12. smakawhat

my wife was saying to me... we are NEVER going there... ;)
    Zimbo likes this.
  13. mmapes

mmapes Aficionado (215) Colorado Nov 12, 2010

What's wrong with St Hubert? We're going in July. Sounds either like a warning/joke or ...?
  14. St. Hubert is like the KFC of Quebec. It's just special... That said, I do recall once going to a super fancy one...
  15. St. Hubert is basically just mediocre rotisserie chicken. Nothing bad at all about it, except that it's a little overpriced and it's nothing special. If you're in Quebec, the best places for food tend to be bistros.
  16. hoser

hoser Savant (380) Alberta (Canada) Feb 17, 2003

My suggestion is go to Le Trou du Diable and repeat go to Le Trou du Diable and then St Hubert is a must if you haven't been to Quebec before.

Quebec City is really cool but there is no beer there, even if you look really hard it is a big f_____king let down. Go across river to the brewpub on the ferry. The beer,food are lame there but the view of the old city is awesome.
    kjyost likes this.
  17. That would be Corsaire and i agree on the beer. Your best bet would be to hit a specialized beer bar like Bateau de Nuit for a wide selection of craft on tap. Hit Duchesse d'Aiguillon or Monde des Bieres for your bottled needs.
  18. Marty, I love rotisserie chicken. People can say what they want about places like St Hubert and the 'infamous' Swiss Chalet and I know I probably shouldn't but I love'em.

BTW, I had the Oaked Yeti the other day. Very very nice. 2011 Old Stock Ale is next. As ever, thank you. :)
  19. As an Eastern Ontarian raised on chicken with the canned St. Hubert browned salt-water, ricochet offends me.
  20. LOL don't get me wrong, I loves me some St. Hubert from time to time, I just meant that it's not something to go out of one's way for... unless you have a mean chicken craving.