1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

OK News #1 (new forums)

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by ThirstyHerf, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gilberg

gilberg Initiate (0) Oklahoma Jul 31, 2006

I'm drinking one now.

Definitely infected. The nose on the pour had a tartness. The flavor is slightly tart, and maybe some funky? The Jack Daniels has faded and, to be honest, I like that.

It's different than Arbor. Arbor has a very vinous character; closing my eyes and drinking I could almost think I was drinking a complex red wine.

This is more roasty. It's certainly an imperial stout, with some woodiness, some notes from the whisky, and then an overtone of tart and funk, though lightly so. Right now, I'm liking it.

2. Got a chance to try Redbud's wheat beer on Saturday at Tapwerks and I must say that I really enjoyed it! Like Chase said a very easy drinker with lots of tropical flavor. Job well done Chase!!

ThirstyHerf likes this.
  3. Saison Brett will be next week as well as the Nogne Saison. The first Big Eddy we will be getting is the DIPA. Very excited about these. We also have some new Flying Dog brews coming...the Pearl Necklace (lol) Oyster Stout http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/75364 and the Wildman Farmhouse IPA (Belgie) http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/77837 Looks like a NEW California brewery is also posted, Fireman's http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20878 They don't seem to be brewing any killers, so don't get too excited. We will also be getting the Belgian Yeti, their new Dopplebock called "Wolfgang" and Rumble the wood-aged IPA will be back coming soon. Gulden Draak is also coming in with their 9000 Quad, which should be pretty freaking killer...http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/48/71973 and OH HOLY JESUS..it looks like we will FINALLY be getting Monk's Cafe! YES! http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/48/10482 Also, Newcastle will have their newest seasonal Warewolf, which should be tasty...wouldn't you know it?! We are getting Petrus BACK! Looks like "Aged Pale" is finally on the LIST. We will also be getting "Scotch Silly" which is KILLER! http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/804/2489 Looks like we will also be receiving the "SOUR POWER SAMPLER" This includes Petrus Brune, Aged Petrus and Monk's Cafe...Holy Jeebus..finally more sours in OK!! This boy is coming in as well Troubadour Magma Belgie IPA http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/195/58261 Also, Posca Rustica http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/637/73367 and if I am reading this right the Lava Smoked Imperial Stout, which is just simply amazing...http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17208/46273 Looking like a good Summer for Oklahoma boys! Cheers!

ThirstyHerf likes this.
  4. Got the opportunity to try the Lava Smoked stout the other night and it is very good!! Definentely looking forward to that one!

5. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

Heckyes on the Pearl Necklace, glad they decided to
    Bottle this one. I thought Wildeman was pretty average
    in the farmhouse department.

So stoked about Petrus/Monk's cafe!!!

Cheers to dropping mad knowledge!

6. Scotch Silly is one of my all-time favorite nightcap beers. BEYOND STOKED!!! :D

7. Madmasher

Madmasher Aficionado (100) Oklahoma Mar 23, 2008

Scotch Silly is indeed a classic. I also got a preview of the Gulden Draak 9000 Quad last November during a private tour of the brewery. Dangerously drinkable. Needless to say, we left the tap room in high spirits. Really looking forward to trying that one again.

Beertracker likes this.
  8. chocosushi

Abita IPA cans in, just in time for the 4th!

9. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (250) Texas Aug 16, 2010

BTW - Thunder failure is directly related to Tulsa's inability to sell out Primus show. Look it up on google. Fact. ;)

timbro81 and chocosushi like this.
  10. chocosushi

Happy Independance Day!!
    100% Cans only here!
    What's everyone else drinkin'?

11. The beer industry gets hosed every time.Oklahoma wineries are allowed to sample and sell their products at their facilities. God forbid that our legislators do something that makes sense like offer the same rights to the beer industry.

4balance likes this.
  12. Going to crack open a 2011 Dark Lord and an Arctic Panzer Wolf with a fellow BA tonight. Not sure what else is on deck after that!

russpowell and ThirstyHerf like this.
  13. On a similar note, I enjoyed some Piraat 9 while on vaca in FL. It's more approachable than the "leaded" version & drank more like a Brigand without the cloying finish. Here's to OK+ getting some cases of that as well. :cool:

ThirstyHerf likes this.
  14. GastroPub

GastroPub Disciple (65) Oklahoma Feb 25, 2010

Our local guys are doing a nice job of not simply duplicating one another's efforts within the same flavor profiles. I'm glad to say that we offer 16 Oklahoma-brewed drafts right now, in no fewer than 10 different beer styles. Kudos to Chase and Matt for broadening the variety with Wheat-Saison and Golden One.

15. chocosushi

Sour Power is The best mixed pack I've bought in a while..
    Or maybe ever? Repeat purchase for sure.

PETRUS REIGNS AGAIN!

BierGartenok likes this.
  16. Finally got over to McNellie's today and tried Redbud Wheat and Anthem Golden One... great brews.

Chase, I'm not a wheat fan but I think it was outstanding. Well played.

17. Any initial thoughts on the Choc Trippel, other than the unorthodox spelling? Highly anticipated b/c the Dubbel is absolute world class imo. Comparisons?

18. I opened one up last night and found it not to my liking. I have not found many Belgians (other than Stella) that I do not enjoy. I, too, am eager to see what others think of this brew.

19. If you like stella you will surely not like the hogarden much sometimes! But am glad to hear you didn't like the Trippell. I will try it soon definitely!

20. chocosushi

^ I think he is saying he has not had a Belgian that he does NOT like, other than stella..E.g. he doesn't like Stella

I too haven't had the Trippel, but I'm digging the change in bottle art.

The Choc OPA on the other hand is pretty top notch.
    I'd like to know some specs on it, not much info on the bottle
    as to how it differs from their Basement Batch.

21. Choco, you are correct about my likes in Belgian beer. I also love the bottle art from Choc. Please try the beer and let me know what you think!

22. chocosushi

Will do brotha!

Any words on the Jolly Pumpkin front ? I've bought way too
    much Oro over the past few months, &
    I'm hoping for Luciernaga the Firely to get in before this
    heat spell is over with. Also rumors of a 2nd batch of La Roja
    are floating around, but I don't have my fingers crossed.
    Love to hear more info from anyone who has it (I'm looking at you Herf)

23. davey

davey Savant (275) Illinois Aug 18, 2006

Has anyone heard of a brewery opening up in Ardmore?

24. chaseabeer

chaseabeer Savant (370) Oklahoma Feb 4, 2009

They are posted as "In planing" as Belgian Bear. That being said, anyone can be "in Planing" if you call the BA and tell them.

25. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,115) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

I am really liking this this year's Arrow Head Pale Ale :D

26. chocosushi

^ Second!

Session '33 is eyeballing me in this Ethanol free
    gas station I go to for only 6.99...anyone have thoughts on it?

27. BA shows that as 4% abv. How can they sell it in a gas station? And I would personally grab the Blvd. Pils elsewhere for the same price or less. That's just me.

28. Madmasher

Madmasher Aficionado (100) Oklahoma Mar 23, 2008

4% ABV = 3.2% ABW

29. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,115) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

My rule is no low ABV beer from across the pond unless wanting to roll the dice. That stuff doesn't travel well, unless near the East Coast, even then... I just never buy beer in state unless I am at a honest to goodness Liqour store, even then I try to hold out for ones praised here on BA:p

30. tronester

tronester Advocate (635) Oklahoma Nov 25, 2006

I wish one of our local breweries would brew a bottle conditioned 3.2 English style mild and/or bitter. I would buy that non-stop.

chocosushi likes this.
  31. chocosushi

New JP in stores! Can't believe no one has posted about this yet...

ILikeBrew likes this.
  32. IpeeA

IpeeA Savant (365) Missouri Jan 22, 2010

I can. What I can't believe is it took you this long. You're usually Johnny On The Spot with this stuff. ;-)

33. chocosushi

hahahahahahaha
    you got me, bud!

opening 'em up tonight!

34. StaveHooks

StaveHooks Savant (460) Oklahoma Nov 18, 2008

Do we still get Flying Dog's Double Dog Pale Ale in Oklahoma?
    I've checked a couple stores and nobody seems to have it.

35. chocosushi

I'veseen some old old Canis major packs At Party City
    On the southside

36. Not that I am aware..Since FD moved to Maryland our beers from them have been extremely limited. Last time I checked, the broker said we would no longer be receiving it. If this means forever, I have no idea, I guess all we can do is wait and see. What I do know is that OK is getting some amazing Belgians lately. Hopefully we expand our Shelton Bros portfolio. I would LOVE to see more from Mikkeller, Nogne, and JP

37. chocosushi

Luciernaga the Firefly is next in line!

38. Yessir it is!

39. tronester

tronester Advocate (635) Oklahoma Nov 25, 2006

Has anyone seen any Oktoberfest beers on Oklahoma shelves yet? ;)

BierGartenok likes this.
  40. Yes We have ALL of the American Craft brews in OK that have an Oktoberfest (Sam, leine, Shiner, Choc, Newcastle, Sierra Nevada, Point etc) waiting on more of the imports...(Paulaner, Warstiner, Hofbrau etc)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.