1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Oktoberfest beers

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by deathevocation, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Anyone seen any yet? Hopefully we get a bit more than the gift pack nonsense and Erdinger.
  2. foles

foles Savant (410) Australia Jan 28, 2007

Hopefully fresh Weihenstephan Festbier will arrive soon.
    danieelol likes this.
  3. I'll be hated for this, but I really like the Sam Adams version. Even better than Spaten.
  4. Usual suspects - Hofbrau, Lowenbrou, Hacker Pschorr, Weihenstephan, Spaten. Ordered the other day, so shouldnt be too fare away.
    Maybe you can see the Sam Adams version next year jesus808, when the beers are getting brewed here in Australia.....
  5. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Saw unopened cases of it at Vintage Cellars today
  6. danieelol

Are they going to be brewed through CUB or Lion and taste like absolute shit?
  7. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (345) Australia Nov 29, 2008

I'm in the US just now and have had a couple of the Sam Adams. Not bad but it ain't no Hacker-Pschorr. Though I've never been able to buy it in anything other than one of those Dan Murphys packs with the Spaten, Paulaner and whatever the other one is.
  8. Hunter Beer Co alwys do a few beers around the theme ...
  9. Yeah, usually Lowenbrau. Bloody annoys me, wish they'd sell them outside of it.
  10. danieelol

Are you guys talking about Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest? That is a really nice beer. Bottle shop near me used to sell them individually but they weren't particularly cheap.
  11. Yes. Where do you live?
  12. Hacker tends to be pretty limited. We usually only get about 5 cases every Octoberfest. Also, that unopened Weihenstephan Festbeer must be an old one...or I'm not getting told about new beers again.
    Parrotshake likes this.
  13. danieelol

Pretty sure it was Camperdown Cellars (Parramatta Rd) in Sydney but I'm not confident they stock it anymore
  14. Ah ok. I'm in Melbourne.
  15. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Do a trade
  16. Joel I think you must have missed the memo! Tapped the Weihenstephan Festbier at Josie Bones last week...
  17. Asked at Purvis and got doughnuts.

18. Bought a dozen for $52.

Does anyone know if there's any Augustiner in the country?
  19. Oh yes, I did miss the memo, again. Casually asked when the Fest was available, "oh it's out already, would you like some?"
    Speechless....
    hopswiller and Lukie like this.
  20. foles

Even James Squire is brewing a Märzen this year. Well at least at the Perth location.

Will be grabbing a dozen Weihenstephans for sure.
  21. Ok. Went to an Aldi today (looking for their frozen pretzels they appear to have ceased carrying) and checked the booze section.

Paulaner Oktoberfest 500ml bottles $3.99 a go (didn't see a case price)
    Oktoberfest 4 pack (Paulaner, Spaten, HP and HB) $19.99
    Paulaner Hefe 5 litre keg $29.99

Great pricing on the Paulaner eh?
    joecast likes this.
  22. danieelol

wow, sounds good. Sadly don't think Aldi carries beer in Sydney
  23. foles

Got the fresh Weihenstephan Festbier - seems different to previous years. Used to have a more hoppy aromatics to it. Its a bit more like the beers I experienced at Oktoberfest (not brilliant but decent and very drinkable). Now its a bigger helles, but in the process seems to lose the subtlety of the helles and just gains some bitterness.
  24. not every store has booze...
  25. barls

barls Aficionado (175) Australia Nov 15, 2006

got some at work didnt check the date on it though
  26. barls

barls Aficionado (175) Australia Nov 15, 2006

depends on the store. rydelmere does have some
  27. Paulaner drinking well.