1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Oktoberfests / Marzens

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Josbor11, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Josbor11

Josbor11 Savant (350) Ohio Dec 21, 2013

Why is it that Oktoberfest beers are looked down upon in the BA community. I was shocked to see that not a single one is found in the top 250 and there are only four in the Beers of Fame. Personally, this is one of my favorite styles. Great Lakes Oktoberfest in my opinion, is one of the best beers I have ever had. It is a phenomenal brew. These styles seem to get overlooked.
  2. True, one of my all time favorite beers was the Oktoberfest brew from Spaten in Munich's Spaten tent. Was amazingly good.
  3. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Wisconsin Apr 14, 2013

not enough IBUs brah
  4. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (360) New York Oct 31, 2013

Lots of beers styles are not found in the Top 250. There is a complete fixation on RISs and DIPAs, and a more quiet appreciation for more subtle or balanced styles like Marzens and countless other styles. A tend to think the fixation is more among younger beer drinkers, but of course I might be wrong.

In any event, time, disease and fat bellies will turn the tides at some point - since there are obvious downsided to consuming high gravity beers. I beleive as such that this is the catalyst of the session IPA that we are starting to see. I do also sense that some lager styes are getting a rebirth, such a pils' in more hopped up forms.
    Sazz9, LittleGus, cnbrown313 and 3 others like this.
  5. Josbor11

There are a lot of really good ones out there. I actually just noticed the Bros even gave GL a perfect 100 and its well deserved. Paulaner and Fat Heads also make pretty good ones.
  6. Unfortunately, a marzen probably won’t make the top 250 list until someone makes one dry-hopped with Mosaic
  7. michman

michman Savant (265) Illinois Oct 14, 2005

i bet if they make a douple imperial hopped marzen barrel aged with angel tears and pixie dust it will be all over the top 10.

but in all seriousness...love oktoberfests. great style. seems like people are obsessed with the big bold IPAs and stouts at the moment so might be hard for one to get in the mix. another argument for rating by style i guess. i dunno, i try not to get too worked up about lists and and rankings. i like to drink what fits my mood and surroundings. there are many situations id take a marzen over a top ranked beer and not think twice about it.
  8. Fargrow

Fargrow Savant (440) Michigan Feb 7, 2013

Imperial Marzen aged in Pumpkin Spice Latte barrels.
  9. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

My own personal favorite style.
    WesMantooth likes this.
  10. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Good timing with this thread.

I believe Sam Adams Octoberfest was released this past week.
  11. Josbor11

Haha I was thinking the same thing when I posted it that I was a few months too late. Oh well.
  12. sefus12

sefus12 Savant (275) Kentucky Sep 7, 2006

one of my absolute favorite styles as well. I wish there were a reliable year-round version I could enjoy.
  13. jkn09

jkn09 Savant (280) Texas Oct 17, 2012

Spaten is available year round here (DFW area).
    kerry4porters likes this.
  14. steveh

This always gets brought up, but have you seen it lately? And if it still has "Spaten USA" on the label, it's very old stock.

I haven't seen 12 packs of Spaten beers since A-B took over importation. Doesn't mean they aren't making them, but who knows?
  15. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

I think there are a couple of reasons for this. The main ones are:

A) American brewers can't brew a good Maerzen. They are usually waaaay too malty. A good one should be balanced. Even American brewers that usually do well with lagers can't seem to get this style right. German ones have often been sitting in transit and on the shelves for way to long. Thus, many Americans (even those that don't write off lagers), haven't had a good Maerzen.

B) As stated above, the goal of a good Maerzen should be balance and subtlety. The goal of a good one should be a solid, straightforward beer, not a unique, bizarre standout. That's not an insult to the style (one of my personal faves), but it doesn't lend itself to an "omglolblahblahblah this is the most amazing beerz I've had in my life I'm gonna brag about it on untappd" mentality. Hence, it doesn't get standout status.
  16. Warsteiner on Draft at oktoberfest = amazing
    dirtyfab likes this.
  17. steveh

Isn't that pretty much the definition of all U.S. micro renditions of a style? :D
    Saind likes this.
  18. The style is a more subtle one. No overly bold flavors. Good balance. Not something that's going to stand out when compared to a BCBS or Pliny.
    JackHorzempa likes this.
  19. jkn09

jkn09 Savant (280) Texas Oct 17, 2012

Bought some 2 weeks ago. Don't remember what was on the label, but it didn't taste old.
  20. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (360) New York Oct 31, 2013

See Victory Festbier for a great example of an American Marzen. But otherwise I tend to agree with you. That said, I still think American versions have their place in the cool months, despite not adhering to style
    Givemebeer, Tilley4 and BWM-77 like this.
  21. Josbor11: I couldn't agree more! If you ever come across Schell's Oktoberfest, give it a try, IMHO, one of the very best.
  22. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

Understood you're not getting this in OR, but Stoudt's does them nicely.
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/394/25382/?show_ratings=Y
    Tilley4 likes this.
  23. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (445) Germany Jul 31, 2011

Tend to agree.
    [​IMG]
  24. Here's a thought, maybe if we all keep quite about our fondness for Oktoberfest & Marzen beers, the DIPA & BBA crowds will get bored w/ this thread & move on....Then we can reap the benefits of shelves filled w/ these treasures!!! Cheers
    PSU_Mike, Modernrickk and Josbor11 like this.
  25. sefus12

sefus12 Savant (275) Kentucky Sep 7, 2006

It is here as well but I'm just not a big fan of that particular beer. Or at least not big enough a fan to drink it year-round.
  26. steveh

Have to keep my eyes open, but right now I can't even find the Helles.

I would definitely rotate the beer in my selection. Nothing else like it.
  27. Hofbraeu's is probably a top ten beer for me. Incredibly satisfying stuff.
  28. steveh

I hope you sent that back, they short-changed your pour. :D
    mjtierney2 likes this.
  29. Josbor11

I will absolutely track one down later on once its actually the Marzen season. Honestly, its just such a good style of beer for the Fall. I love me some cold Oktoberfest on a cool day. Hell, I would drink them all summer long too along with my Kolsh and Hefes if they were available.
  30. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (445) Germany Jul 31, 2011

I assume it would have settled to the line, but it never got the chance to sit that long!
    herrburgess likes this.
  31. steveh

Oh man, it's that sort of indifferent attitude that brought U.S. brewing down post-prohibition! :D
    mjtierney2 likes this.
  32. I like them ok but wouldnt want to drink them year round.
  33. I always load up on that one. How do you find their Maibock? They strike me as being incredibly similar to one another, plus I've never seen them in the same room together ;). It's definitely close enough to make the Maibock a reasonable substitute when the O'fest isn't available.

This past year I was able to get the Weihenstephaner Oktoberfestbier, and found it to be even better than the Hofbrau. It was one of my top beers of 2013, and has me anticipating when it returns already.

Another big surprise was Sly Fox, which got the malt profile spot-on. I think some American breweries may just be catching on to how it's supposed to be done.
    Rekrule likes this.
  34. steveh

Really? Because I've always had the Wies'n Märzen from HB in my area; very yellow-golden and crisp, but still maltier than a Helles. Whereas the HB Maibock is always deeper gold to bronze with a maltier character and bigger body... nearly what the Spaten and Paulaner Oktoberfests come in at.

Then there was the HB Winter Spezial we had for one season -- that beer was the twin to the Festbier, maybe a touch bolder in malt.
  35. I've not had their Maibock, though I hope to try it. Apparently it's stronger than the Oktoberfestbier (which is one of the heftier ones of its sort anyway). I'll have to keep an eye out for the Weihenstephaner.
  36. To springboard off what @TheNightwatchman posted: “Good balance”. To me the Oktoberfest beer style is defined by a pleasant balance between bready malt flavors and Noble hop flavors.

I agree 100% with @TongoRad on: “Sly Fox, which got the malt profile spot-on.”

As has been discussed by others, crafting a beer that is perfectly balanced is not the type of beer style which is greatly appreciated by BAs (for the most part).

Cheers!
    TheNightwatchman likes this.
  37. I'm definitely keeping an eye out for the Maibock this year, but last year's did seem to be more on the golden side and slighter in profile than what I was expecting. They both do strike me as using their helles as a starting point, so that's where the similarities come in. Although the Maibock may be bigger, I didn't think it was that different. Perhaps I will hold on to a few until fall comes around this year, and keep them as cold as possible- just to do a broad comparison.

I don't think I've even seen the Winter Spezial, but it does sound like a nice beer to bridge the gap.
  38. WettNutz

WettNutz Disciple (60) Indiana Feb 23, 2014

Agree, my fav style too. Under-appreciated and usually disrespected. IPAs and all the heavy beers are ridiculously overrated right now. Sam Adams is ok, but not the best. I'd give that nod to Spaten.
  39. Josbor11

keithmurray likes this.
  40. Being the maltaholic that I am, Oktoberfests are far and away my favorite beer style. Can (and do) drink an awful lot of them when the season is upon us.