1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Oktoberfests / Marzens

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Josbor11, Mar 10, 2014.

1. So, the intention of you prior post was: “Exactly, an original Maerzen should be dark brown.”?

Cheers!
  2. brewmance82

brewmance82 Disciple (50) Illinois Nov 10, 2013

Hands-down, Spaten's Marzen. I've tried quite a few and none compare.
    kerry4porters and herrburgess like this.
  3. grantcty

grantcty Aficionado (235) Minnesota Feb 17, 2008

Keep a look out for Hacker Pschorr Hubertus Maibock in half-liter swing tops (available for the first time in the US in bottles). It's been widely available in the Twin Cities. Also keep a look out for Ayinger Maibock on draught in April.
    herrburgess and TongoRad like this.
  4. No bigee...it's just an Octoberfest :D

Until German and British brewers own up to stale, exported beer, not much will change here, IMHO.
  5. Good news! Thanks.
  6. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (320) Michigan May 30, 2010

I think ayinger octoberfest is year round, could be wrong though.
  7. I really enjoyed the Augustiner Marzen I had at the monastery in Salzburg. It probably didn't hurt that the beer garden is beautiful and I was there with some good friends on vacation.:)
    GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  8. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Since the Maß in the picture is standing on a table in Munich, I have the feeling freshness wasn't a worry -- and yeah, a Maß is a bigee. ;)

Being in Nevada doesn't have anything to do with import freshness for you, does it? Most of the big name beers I see from Germany and the UK are pretty fresh... when I see them. But they're really being pushed off shelves by IPA -- uh, I mean, "craft beer" anymore these days.
    SkinniePost likes this.
  9. Beers usually get "pushed" off the shelf for a reason...Octoberfest is a quaint style, but looses it's luster if not consumed in a tent in Munich surrounded by buxom, nubile frauleins during Octoberfest, IMHO :D
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    Modernrickk likes this.
  10. steveh

In your opinion. Märzen happens to be my favorite style, no matter where served. And I can tell you haven't been to Munich's Oktoberfest… not all of the servers are nubile Fräuleins, many are seasoned veterans who work 3 times as hard as the younger ones. Funny thing is, the beer still tastes as good when they bring it to your table, 15 or 20 liters at a time. :)
    Flibber likes this.
  11. Sam Adams Oktoberfest is popular with BMC drinkers. I don't have numbers but my eyes tell me this is so in bars that have it on tap. I have also seen SA Oktoberfest stacked like Bud Light in retail stores and it's GWTW by Thanksgiving.
  12. steveh

Not questioning your observations, but that seems difficult to believe with the big flavor, body, and color differences between Oktoberfest and BMC.

I can remember getting a Guinness draught a few years ago at a local hangout where the majority of beer sold is BMC. Said drinker next to me gave me the stereotypical line, "How do you drink that motor oil?" I don't think that guy would ever even try a Sam Octo.

OTOH -- I was charged with procuring beer for a company open house last fall and had to get a keg of Bud Light for one of the bosses and another boss (yeah, family biz) requested an Oktoberfest since it was that time of year. The Bud Light drinker took a chance (it was easy enough to throw away because he wasn't in a tavern) and actually liked the Spaten Oktoberfest. No telling how adventurous a BMC drinker will be!
  13. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (360) New York Oct 31, 2013

You didnt mention anthing about a drinker, so how can he already be Said Drinker? It's impossible!
  14. It's been said a million times, but Great Lakes makes a great one.

Jack's Abby Copper Legend was very tasty as well. Don't know traditional it is, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
  15. steveh

All in the Gestalt friend.
  16. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Over the years I've noticed that the Sam Adams Oktoberfest seems to be a beer that the BMC people will jump on. I think something super malty and sweet is probably an easier transition for many than something hoppy or sour.

For anyone who knows - how did the old big brand bocks sell? I've talked to lots of people that remember them fondly from the 60's and 70's and I always see the labels on display at Coors and AB. Were those old seasonal bocks big sellers or were they a niche?
  17. Beric

Beric Savant (430) Massachusetts Jun 1, 2013

I think it's the sweetness that does it. This is what originally turned me off to SA Octoberfest. I eventually warmed up to it, but at first it had an AAL-like sweetness that really dominated the malts.

As for my personal favorites:
    1) Ayinger Oktober-Fest Maerzen
    2) Victory Festbier
    3) Rothaus Maerzen Export

Since I'm a youngin I wouldn't know about old-time bocks, but one only needs to look as far as the immense popularity of Shiner Bock to see that Bock is also popular with the BMC crowd.
  18. Maybe @jesskidden knows?

Cheers!
  19. Post-Repeal, the popularity of bocks rose and fell several times (immediately after Repeal, then again after WWII into the early 50's, a brief return in the 60's, etc). It's generally agreed that - save for WWII when they weren't brewed due to material shortages - that becoming too prevalent and on the market too long created customer apathy and the resulting lack of sales that caused the product being dropped by many breweries.

Traditionally bocks were on the market for a much shorter period that today's quarterly "seasonals" - ads usually suggested it would be available for "a few weeks" only. In 1936, P. Ballantine & Sons which had just became only the 5th US brewer to reach the million barrel mark, brewed only 20,000 bbl. of their bock, which they announced would only be available for 6 weeks.

It was also common for state or metro area brewers to agree on a specific date - a Bock Beer Day - for the mass release of all their bock beers. Below, for example, the joint NJ and NY brewers' organizations announcement ad.
    (Click for large view)

[​IMG]
  20. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Interesting stuff! I swear that this year's Bock from August Schell was only in the cooler for three weeks, tops.

Per the OP, Summit Brewing has a crackin'-good one out now with their Unchained Fest Bier. Even if you prefer the old-fashioned Maerzen style to the more contemporary Wiesn style, this one will do the trick!
    Josbor11, steveh and grantcty like this.
  21. I totally disagree: subtle does not equal boring. I'd take a a Bayericsher Anstich Augustiner Helles over an over the top Imperial Stout any day of the week.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I find a dark mild on cask to be infinitely more interesting than a double IPA. There isn't a whole lot there for me personally in a hefty IPA.
    herrburgess likes this.
  22. Hmm, I would have guessed German Pilsner to be your favorite.
  23. I second (third?) this. While I was half serious in my other post, I find that subtler beers reveal more and more complexity the more you drink of them. With a (D)IPA the thrill is almost over after the first whiff of tropical fruit.
    marquis likes this.
  24. Agreed. I find a dark mild on cask to be infinitely more interesting than a double IPA. There isn't a whole lot there for me personally in a hefty IPA.[/QUOTE]
    I greatly enjoy Yards Brawler on cask!

Cheers!
    marquis likes this.
  25. steveh

Definitely like Pilsner, but I probably like Helles more and my favorite is Amber Märzen with Maibock being a close second.

Then again, Bitter, Stout, Mild, Weizen, Dunkel, Doppelbock... can't say I'd turn any down. Just a big fan of Märzen from way back. ;)
  26. Helles is up there for me. In fact, a world class Helles is more or less the true definition of "beer" in my mind. If aliens came here to visit and wanted to know what beer tasted like I'd give them a mug of Andechs Vollbier Hell.

Wait, what about sours, barrel-aged imperial stouts, hoppy lagers, and double IPAs? Those are like the four main food groups in craft beer right? What kind of beer advocate are you?
    javlin624 likes this.
  27. Would love to try this one. I've heard great things.
  28. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Savant (325) Colorado Dec 22, 2012

I friggin' love marzens. Paulaner's good, and as far as American takes, Prost did a great one last year, and GD Hoss is available year round and that one's great as well. I think Avery's Kaiser has a shot at the top 250, but seems like people either love that one or don't get it. Wish more breweries tackled that style, though.
  29. steveh

Experienced. Learned. Honest? ;)
  30. One that remembers that beer is for drinking not for looking at and sipping.
    Bobator and javlin624 like this.
  31. wborr82

wborr82 Aficionado (115) Florida Aug 20, 2013

I would totally drink that.
    Fargrow likes this.
  32. steveh

Well, not all beers or even all the best beers.
  33. As perhaps (a pure guess) over 95% of all beer production is for volume drinking I would place the stronger stuff etc as "special occasion" beer and not mainstream everyday beer.As to what are "best" beers IMO the best beer is the one I enjoy the most.
    Compare with cars. I have a couple of two seater convertibles , one of which is blindingly fast , the other is an old classic. On the right day on the right journey there's nothing like them."Special occasion" cars.But my big Ford is a better car nevertheless.By which I mean that for most of what a car is needed for it does it better.
  34. Great Lakes Oktoberfest is one of my highest rated beers.
  35. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

For the sake of clarification, again, my comments were regarding the discussion of such beers, not the consumption. I will never argue that layers of subtlety is less intriguing than a less complex and more intense IPA or stout but that latter will tend to lead to livelier conversation.
  36. Ever had a Ford on cask? Sublime.
  37. Makes sense. Even though you said Amber Marzen, the pale versions are basically imperial Helles to my palate.
    TongoRad likes this.
  38. Only the canned version :)
    steveh likes this.
  39. steveh

While the car comparison is good, it should be noted that -- just like beer -- there are different varieties between a sports car and an everyday sedan. Just as you said, some for special occasions, some for the work-a-day running around, some in-between that might just happen to be both, but there are still too many varieties to say an automobile is just an automobile -- and a beer is just a beer.

I'll often take time to notice appearance and aroma in a beer I'm drinking while prepping dinner, even though I'm not formulating a full evaluation. Same as noticing intriguing cars on the road -- it's appreciation, if not always full on enthusiasm.
  40. @steveh , @Domingo -
    Regarding the HB Maibock diversion from earlier in the thread:
    I have recently picked some up this year and it's just as you guys described it- darker and maltier than most maibocks, very close to a traditional dunkles bock. Delicious beer. I don't know what happened last year, but I think I am just going to pretend it never happened and forget about it ;).
    javlin624, Domingo and steveh like this.