1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Old ales like Adam

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DmouthCaliBrewz, Apr 25, 2013.

1. So HOTD Adam is probably one of my favorite beers ever, and I would probably give up my firstborn to try cherry Adam from the wood. Anyway, I know it is classified as an "old ale," which is quite vague, and I was wondering if there were any other beers in the same style that were comparable.

I checked out BA's list of top old ales, and it's just a random mismatched assortment of other beers. For example, the next highest rated "old ale" behind Adam is Avery's old jubilation - which I would classify as a winter warmer/holiday ale - that is in no way similar, and in my opinion, quite underwhelming (I do freekin love Avery tho). And then right below that is theakstons old peculiar, a fantastic beer IMO, but again, absolutely nothing like Adam.

Sooooo, what would you call Adam, and what out there is comparable?

itsiilegal likes this.
  2. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

You could try Khunhenn BB 4D

FrankHammer likes this.
  3. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Old ale is a vague category, but there are some commonalities between most of them. The problem is that a lot of other beers that are distinctly not old ales, such as Adam, get lumped into that category in this site because there isn't anyplace better for them to go. I haven't ever had a beer that tastes anything like Adam myself, so I'm very grateful that I can get it consistently for a reasonable price.

daysinthewake likes this.
  4. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

If you're dying to try Cherry Adam offer something like 2 four packs of heady topper or some HF stuff. I'm pretty sure my HF regular trader drinks more HotD than I do....I've spawned a monster.

5. HOTD Adam is apparently an Adambier. This is a new/old style which just this year got recognized by the Brewers Association as part of their style guidelines; this category will exist for the 2013 GABF.

From the 2013 BA style guidelines:

“Adambier

Adambier is light brown to very dark in color. It may or may not use wheat in its formulation. Original styles of this beer may have a low or medium low degree of smokiness. Smoke character may be absent in contemporary versions of this beer. Astringency of highly roasted malt should be absent. Toast and caramel-like malt characters may be evident. Low to medium hop bitterness are perceived. Low hop flavor and aroma are perceived. It is originally a style from Dortmund. Adambier is a strong, dark, hoppy, sour ale extensively aged in wood barrels. Extensive aging and the acidification of this beer can mask malt and hop character to varying degrees. Traditional and non-hybrid varieties of European hops were traditionally used. A Kölsch-like ale fermentation is typical Aging in barrels may contribute some level of Brettanomyces and lactic character. The end result is a medium to full bodied complex beer in hop, malt, Brett and acidic balance.
    Original Gravity (ºPlato)1.070-1.090 (17.1-21.6 ºPlato) ● Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (ºPlato) 1.010-1.020 (2.5-5 ºPlato) ● Alcohol by Weight (Volume)7.1-8.7% (9-11%) ● Bitterness (IBU)30-50 ● Color SRM (EBC)15-35 (10-26 EBC)”

You can read a more on this thread: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-old-beer-styles-adambier-and-grätzer.84578/

Cheers!

domtronzero, hopsbreath and 1up like this.
  6. dianimal

dianimal Advocate (530) California Apr 18, 2012

Wow, I was just thinking about this earlier today, and also wondering what exactly an "old ale" is. I love Adam, it's one of the best brews I've tasted! I'd also like to know the names of any that are like Adam.

7. Thanks a ton for the insight and the link! I knew "old ale" was one of the many "catch-all" beer categories, so this definitely clears things up.

The first time I tried it, upon trying to classify it based on taste, I couldn't help recalling a few stronger alt-biers I had previously drank, more specifically a Doppelsticke - quite an obscure german style that really hasn't gained much popularity amongst craft brewers in america. Adam seemed to me like a Doppelsticke on roids, maybe like a sour-Eis-doppelsticke-stout if we were to play beer mad libs game.

Long story short, it is friggin fantastic, and thank god it is pretty easy for me to get when I am home, because otherwise I would cry.

8. Shmeal

You can get it in NH?!

9. As someone else said, Kuhnhenn 4D and the BA version are amazing. I love Adam but 4D (and especially the BA version) is on another level.

10. I thought it was a strange (and insanely delicious) stout when I first tried it!

11. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

I can tell you right now, Idiot's Drool may be considered an Old Ale but it is unfortunately far from drinkable =/

Drink it only if it's free.

12. The thing is, HotD Adam isn't sour and I don't think Brett is intentionally used so it probably deserves its own category.

13. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (445) California Nov 20, 2010

Fuller's Vintage Ale is a nice, widely available old ale. Not super cheap, but it won't break the bank either. Probably ends up being the same $/oz. as Adam.

adambiers...well, I can't help you with any of those.

14. There is nothing like Adam and there are no substitutes. Definitely don't give up your first born to try Cherry Adam, unless you absolutely hate him/her. lol. I love Adam and thought Cherry Adam was horrible. Adam from the Wood on the other hand...

dianimal likes this.
  15. I am literally drinking Adam, for the first time, right now as I stumble across this thread. Really like this beer!

I also recommend Kuhnhenn 4D or BB4D as similar.

16. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

17. Fred is a solid one too. It's more of a strong ale I suppose but I think it has similar characteristics. But I agree with you on Adam, certainly one of ma favs.

18. Hahaha hell no, or at least not that I know of. Otherwise I would be running an IV drip of the stuff! I'm from SoCal but I go to school out here.

19. Empty promises cuz if all goes well, my proveny wont be brought into this world for a long long time (fingers crossed). And hmm I have heard great things tho. Well I guess the first born will only be sacrificed for regilar old Adam from the wood then....

CelticAleMan likes this.
  20. Sucks to suck. Lol different strokes for different folks right? I just about found god when I tried it for the first time. Maybe give if some age and the booze will integrate a bit more?

dianimal likes this.
  21. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

eatabagofbooger and pixieskid like this.
  22. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Why not just the 4D? The Adam he is referring to is not BA...

23. pixieskid

Fred and Adam are completely different, no way comparable aside from the high abv.

hopsbreath likes this.
  24. pixieskid

When they came out with the style guidelines for Adambier, I have no fucking idea where they got the acidic/brett/extensive barrel aging requirements from. HOTD Adam has been the only commercial example of the style for some time (to my knowlege) and it doesn't have any of those characteristics. Seemingly, when it was produced in Dortmund, it was aged in barrels and got sour...

25. pixieskid

Adam really is something unique. AFTW is a really well done ba version and Cherry Adam would have gone down in my top 5 all time amazing beers, but it was flat (beer in this day and age is supposed to be carbonated).

The only Old ale that is readily available and solid that I can think of is Old Stock from North Coast. Haven't tried it in years but I remember enjoying it the last time I had it.

26. North Coast Old Stock is a tasty old ale

Spaghett and dianimal like this.
  27. Shmeal you are my hero!

28. This!!! I have always been a fan of Old Ales and I havent found any old ale thats remotely near as good as Adam. It fantastic fresh and its fantastic aged; it doesnt matter. Adam is always a great malty beer treat! Honestly, anytime anyone asks for a reccommendation of a great old ale... HotD Adam is always the first beer that comes to my mind. Its truely a benchmark/standout for the beer style.

Not to mention that Adam from the Wood is a truely sublime beer and Cherry Adam from the Wood is just down right mind blowing!

29. Adam is in my top 30 favorite beers (that's good) and Cherry Adam from the Wood, while being incredible and unique, would be hard pressed to be in my top 100. It's too silky, boozy and dull wood with muted pie cherries. I would take 4 bottles of Adam to Cherry Adam from the Wood (which is about $4$) any day.

So.. Adam is pretty easy to find. Adam ages beautifully 6 months to 5 years. Ask your beer guy to order you a case and let that age. Repeat every vintage.

30. Derranged

I dont have anymore of it. Some have argued I may have had a bad bottle, and I'm starting to think the same thing because that beer isn't supposed to taste like that. I realize people have different tastes and what not but that was suspiciously rancid tasting. What I really don't get is why I was sweating after a few sips.

Also, as noted in the review, the head was enormous and took a long time to go down, isn't that a potential indication that its gone bad?

31. Derranged

Maybe I was too generous...? :confused:

32. amnesia85

amnesia85 Savant (335) Connecticut Mar 31, 2012

ISO: somebody who doesn't like hair of the dog to stockpile and cellar for me. I can't keep the damn stuff around. Lately I have been pulling from the basement and drinking at cellar temp because I can't wait long enough to chill!

Cherry Adam is well worth trading for however I wouldnt give up an arm and a leg for it. I love the older vintages as well still/flat leather cherry bombs!!!!

The problem the world faces today is the day when Alan sprints passes... Who will carry on and melt those Belgium candy malts into small batch bottle conditioned goodness? It will be a sad day for beer lovers everywhere. They should start a 401k plan converting savings into cellared Adam :)

Alan sprints = genius brewmaster.

33. Like many have already said, I'm not sure there's another beer that's quite like Adam. It's one of the most unique beers I've ever had. I'd also agree that Cherry Adam is not all it's cracked up to be, and regular Adam may in fact be the superior beer. Now Adam from the Wood, holy shit, one of the best beers I've ever had.

34. watsonmd

watsonmd Savant (365) Georgia May 16, 2009

Looking forward to trying this one.... popped up on my "LetsPour" email yesterday, 2 bottle limit. Should be here Monday!

35. Below is from the notes section of the profile for Adam on BA:

“Notes:
    A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.”

Cheers!

36. compton

compton Aficionado (180) Georgia May 20, 2009

Most/all beers traditionally had brett infections due to the lack of stainless and knowledge of yeast's existence. I feel like the BA really missed the mark there with their guidelines and it's a damn shame. Adam truly ages and develops like very few non-sour beers do. Alan Sprints is THE brewer's brewer.

grilledsquid and amnesia85 like this.
  37. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

I really want to try cherry from the wood cherry always seems to make beer better what makes you think the others are better?

38. I've always found Cherry Adam to be a little too sweet. I too love cherry flavors in beer, but for some reason it just doesn't work as well with Adam as it does with some others. I should note that it's far from a bad beer, it's actually quite good, just not as amazing as I'd hoped it would be.

39. Shmeal

Pretty sure I already do this for you....

amnesia85 likes this.
  40. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (385) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

Well, there's at least two people who know how to make those beers. From the HotD website:

I think the addition of an assistant brewer is a recent development (don't know for sure). Doug Henderson probably knows how to brew some of the beers as well. I seem to recall (maybe incorrectly) that the brewhouse hasn't changed in the 20 years they've been around.