1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Old ales like Adam

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DmouthCaliBrewz, Apr 25, 2013.

1. spry

spry Savant (250) Michigan Oct 8, 2009

As people have said, there really is no beer quite like Adam. For me, Adam is a smoked barleywine but with more emphasis on dark malts. I was hoping the Alesmith Decadence from 2011 http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/396/78792 would come close, but unfortunately it did not. I think the use of Bamburg smoked malt instead of the peat malt that's used in Adam was probably the main difference.

2. timc100

timc100 Savant (315) Illinois Aug 13, 2012

Completely agree with you all. Adam is my favorite dark beer by far, and don't really expect to find anything the same or really similar.

How hard is it to land an Adam from the wood - and how often do they brew it?

3. Adam is not the only adambier out there although it might be the only commercial version floating around. (Maybe very small batches appear in Germany and probably never leave the town where it is brewed.) The style guideline is not designed to be modeled off a single beer even if it is the one all judges will inevitably judge it against. It may only be a matter of time before sour or bretty adambier starts rolling out.

4. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Brewed twice with the next release in 2015 - aged in Ardbeg barrels.

dianimal likes this.
  5. This was in the other thread I provided a link to (from Erzangel):

Germany: http://harte-arbeit-ehrlicher-lohn.de/blog/?page_id=428 - the new "Dortmunder Bergmann Bier"-brewery brews the ADAM occasionally as a seasonal ale - but I never managed to get a bottle...

6. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (385) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

7. amnesia85

amnesia85 Savant (335) Connecticut Mar 31, 2012

I need mountains, and mountains of vintage Adam! Then I will truly be able to rest!!! I have a few large holes in the back yard I need to fill :)

8. Roger that

9. I was just so drunk I couldn't tell the diff.

10. Yes.

11. dianimal

dianimal Advocate (530) California Apr 18, 2012

Have you tried North Coast Old Stock Ale Cellar Reserve, and if so, is it good and does it taste anything like Adam and/or Old Stock - regular or Otsuchi?