1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Old beer question to bartenders/barmaids.....

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by fearfactory, Nov 26, 2012.

1. I was served a Sam Adams Boston Lager bottle yesterday, at a well known chain, in southeastern MA. Luckily, my nose prevented the usual first big swig, and couldn't believe my eyes, best if enjoyed before July 2011. Assuming it had a 6 month shelf life originally, this was bottled almost 2 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, the bartender and waitress apologized many times, and I got a free replacement. But none of us can figure out how it happened. The rest of the bottles were fresh, and SABL turns over there quickly (usually). Never worked in a bar, so I claim ingnorance to the inside workings. Just to mock me, I've even been there, and had fresh SABL in the last 2 years! Very weird.....

Most likely reason for this to happen? Should I just stick to getting the big ole El Presidente when I go?
  2. jamvt

jamvt Savant (490) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

Don't go to Chili's.
    FrankLloydMike, Jnorton00 and Horbar like this.
  3. Trust me, I was outvoted!
    Horbar likes this.
  4. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

I've always noticed Chili's draft beers have a metallic taste to them, but a two year old bottle, lol, that's just insanity. They really have a poor beer selection anyway. Would it kill them to get Sierra Nevada?
  5. Seriously. It blows my mind that most of the big chains put no effort into beer selection.
    Horbar likes this.
  6. or food selection.
    cbeer88 and Horbar like this.
  7. Probably just one bottle hanging out in the back of the cooler, with new bottles being added in front of it. I think they keep their bottles in those deep freezers under the bar, and the corners can be hard to reach. Ideally you'd move the beer left in the back to the front and add new beer behind it every time you restocked the cooler, but sometimes people just don't think about it, or are lazy.
  8. Aaron58

Aaron58 Savant (270) Massachusetts Dec 16, 2007

I have found an old 6pk of things over the years in the corners of the beer cooler. Sometimes stuff just get lost. Seems like an honest mistake though.