1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Old Chub for 21 years

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by FosterJM, Jan 28, 2013.

1. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Good Evening,

So seeing as my 7 month old son is a bit of a giant for his age range. I have resorted to calling him Chub Chub, which then my beer brain said WAIT a MINUTE!!! You can age this till he's 21. So here is my question.

1. Do you think the style can last that long?
    2. Whats the worst that can happen?
    3. Would it be a total piece of shit and thus I kept a can for 21 years just open it with him.

Cheers!

PS- I did do some groundwork and pulled up this old thread.
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/old-chub.48192/

2. I don't think anyone could know how a 21 year Old Chub would taste, but it certainly seems like a decent candidate. I like the nickname by the way.

3. I think you possibly could find a few examples of the style that may last that long. I don't believe Old Chub specifically would hold up for even half that time though. There isn't much balance and not a very high hopping rate, at least that I've even picked up.

4. How big are his foots?

JxExM, kmatlack and YaKnowBrady like this.
  5. Even if it does suck, it wouldn't be much of a loss. And it would be a fun thing to do with him either way. Do it.

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Even if it turned out to be awful, I'd say it is the sentiment that counts and at worst you are out a couple buck for the can.

7. bhir

bhir Savant (260) Pennsylvania Nov 1, 2011

I would think you would have more issues with the can lining than you would with the beer, apparently even after 2 or 3 years.

8. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (195) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Email the brewery and ask their opinion on how the beer would hold up; Im sure someone with knowledge would respond and might even have some info on the can. You could also ask Ball Corp if the can lining is a concern, since they make the can. Personally, I think it's a cool idea to drink it with him.

9. Please contact your physician for any Chub lasting more than 4 hours.

10. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Do you really think he's going to last until 21 before his first drink? With a dad who is a BA?

Just kidding around. That's a cool idea, and not a big $$$ loss, in any case.

11. youradhere

youradhere Savant (460) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

I've got a sixpack of MASH beer from the 70s or 80s, so the can will hold up (they are the new style of open FYI). I don't think Old Chub, like most beers, is intended to be aged for that long. Will it be cool? Hell yea, even if it is just for asthetics sake. Get a sixer and stash it somewhere, I'm sure your son will crack one or two open with his friends in junior high or high school one afternoon- and come to the immediate assessment that beer is gross and thus will put off his hobby of drinking a few more years at least. Parenting is about projection!

12. I wouldn't age a beer in a can for 21 years it'll probably tastes like liquid tin by then

13. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Breaking News: Cans aren't made out of tin

Also, they use linings in aluminum cans that don't seep metallic flavor into the liquid.

MrKennedy likes this.
  14. youradhere

youradhere Savant (460) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

Haha I watched the same "How it is Made" episode on TLC too.

15. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

You can save yourself a lot of money by soaking cardboard in soy sauce. If that beer isn't complete broken down by then, I'd be shocked.

16. He will die from BPA cancer upon first sip. :eek: