1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Old Raspy Aging

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by StoneTSR, Aug 25, 2013.

1. StoneTSR

StoneTSR Savant (345) Colorado Nov 18, 2009

Can some of you tell me what your experience has been with aged Old Rasputin? For some reason I'm hesitant to put some away.

2. Ages fine. And the only way for you to find out, is to toss a few aside. Pretty inexpensive "gamble"

3. Jacob007

Jacob007 Savant (465) New Hampshire Sep 18, 2012

I am working in some.

4. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Savant (270) Ohio Jan 24, 2006

We don't tend to age Raspy because it's not dated. I aged some a few years ago and it did fine.

5. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

I'd think it would age just fine as do many other RIS. I personally have no experience though...I always drink it up when I buy it. :)

Mebuzzard likes this.
  6. ages fine, even better aged 1 to 2 years

7. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (730) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

Also kind of curious. Have one saved from 2009 I never drank and it just sits there, silently, with Old Ras glaring at me wondering why I haven't drank his elixir yet.

8. I've tried it aged 1, 2 and 3 years. While it hasn't been bad any of these times, I can't say it really improved at all, starting to feel a little muted maybe. Overall I think I just prefer it fresh but it's inexpensive/interesting to age a 4-pack.

9. I'd imagine any RIS would do fine, but don't have the patience for it... Just got another 4-pack for Rasputin Day. Maybe will save the last one for the next solar eclipse...:p

inchrisin likes this.
  10. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (470) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I've heard it's about the best RIS you can buy and drink fresh. I'm sure it ages fine too, but if you ever start to run out of cellar space I'd choose something else.

11. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

At one year it's bitter and pretty much tastes like when it was released, maybe no the nose, but otherwise - it's Raspy.

At two, it's bitter and sweet and causes regret.

Drink fresh.

12. JEdmund

JEdmund Savant (465) Kansas Oct 23, 2006

Not just fine, great! I have had it between 1 and 3 years, and each time was really enjoyable. I heartily recommend you age this one (especially given its price and accessibility).

13. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (395) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

In my experience, it doesn't get better with age. I like aging stouts, but not this one.

VictorWisc likes this.
  14. What in all of Hell's fuck is Rasputin Day? Fresh is better, by the way...

15. Sorry, just making fun of some people... Rasputing made an End of the World prediction for August 23, 2013. I tried to post a thread tying it to drinking RIS, but it got taken down.

jivex5k likes this.
  16. Agreed--having compared the current pack, which had just come into the store, with the one I had last time, which sat on the shelf at another store, I can say that even the one a few months old had lost its sharpness and complexity. It was still a very robust RIS, but no where near what the new one is. I'm still going to save one bottle to be sure, but will have finished the other three before the end of the week.

17. How dare you! Well? Did the end come? How many O.R.'s did you put away before midnight? If too many, were you bummed the end didn't come?

18. I capped the night with one straddling midnight. Figured it's appropriate tribute. Had a couple SamA O-fest earlier. I tend to pace myself pretty well... Sometimes I do wish, thought, that my metabolism would allow me to stay drunk for more than a couple of hours. Sadly, never happens, even when I try.

19. On my way to Cost Plus right now for some...30% off all beer!

20. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Hesitant because of the $2 per bottle price tag? Seems like a pretty low risk experiment.

BalancingBrooms likes this.
  21. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Savant (390) Nebraska Sep 24, 2012

I just opened one that's about a year and a half old and it wasn't very good. Hot and weird. I think I like it better fresh. I aged it because I heard it will eventually turn into something like chocolate cake. We'll see.

SirBottlecap likes this.
  22. Benish

Benish Advocate (570) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2013

Aging mine because I didn't care for it that much when I tried it fresh the first time last month. The beer is dirt cheap (only $8 4 pack in WI) so it doesn't hurt to see how it turns out in 6 months and 12 months. Just something fun for me to try.