Old Raspy Barrel Aged XV - should I sit on it?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by timc100, Dec 26, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timc100

timc100 Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2012 Illinois

Since I could only afford to buy one bottle, I would like to avoid drinking it at an inopportune time. I do not condone cellaring before tasting unless it's a price issue.

To those of you who have had this beer already and past vintages, let me know what you think. I would be very ok with cracking it open tonight.

2. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,721) Jul 4, 2005 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

Have you checked the ratings? See what everyone who's already tried it has thought.

I'm going to sit on my bottle for a while before drinking it. I've had past vintages and found that aging it around 9-12 months has helped it.

Hope you like it whenever you decide to drink it! :-)

3. stayclean

stayclean Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2012 Wisconsin

I sat on a XIV for a year and cracked it open last night. Thought it was pretty darn good. Probably going to end up doing the same for XV.

kotayk likes this.
  4. kotayk

kotayk Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2011 California

I did the same
    Thought it was fantastic

5. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Same here. It was excellent.

6. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

11 aged with the best of 'em.... 4 years in and I thought it was great.

7. timc100

Great, thank you. I'll put it with the other temporary untouchables.

8. eachnotesecure

eachnotesecure Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2011 Ohio

I had a 14 fresh and last week with a year on it. Both times it was fantastic.

9. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky

+1 for aging. Or drinking.

10. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2010 Washington

I recently had a XII and thought it was quite disappointing. I've had a few others that were aged a year or two and thought they didn't cellar well. I'd recommend having yours now and picking up (or trading for another) if you liked it and want to cellar one. You need a "base point" to reflect on with an aged beer. How will you know if you actually like it aged if you have nothing to compare it to?

Brewers generally age these beers for you in the barrels and release them to be drank fresh. There are some imperial stouts that are age worthy from my experience but I find that most of the "barrel" flavors die off quickly. This is just my opinion.

Cheers,
    Ryan

MontereyBay831 likes this.
  11. waltersrj

Just realized I skimmed over the fact that you could afford only one bottle at this time and that you generally don't condone cellaring before tasting. Sorry for that.

I still think you should drink it fresh...the barrel character is great.

Cheers,
    Ryan

12. beercanman

beercanman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 Ohio

Awesome fresh. Got a second bottle to lay down for awhile.

13. DarthKostrizer

DarthKostrizer Initiate (0) May 13, 2011 California

NO this beer is really good right now and I don't think it will get any better

14. timc100

A different bottle shop had it for much cheaper and I picked one up and drank it last night with a friend along with many other stouts (best of the night). It was fantastic, but nose was a bit hot and muddled the barrel and stout notes - 4.7 now, could be a 5 with a few months which is what I'm planning on doing. Thanks for the input all. Cheers

15. timc100

Thanks Ryan. I'm new to aging and generally do not have the self control to put something down. It's interesting to me that you say the barrel characteristics die down - if that's true why are so many people holding on the BCBS Rare and others like it? Just curious.

Does an over carbonated stout even out with age? I'm surious because I had a '12 BCBS bottled in October and thought it was great, but had a '12 bottled in September and was really disappointed. I want to age the rest of te septembers to let it relax but don't want to lose any of that barrel character - what do you think?

16. yinzer

yinzer Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2006 Pennsylvania

I don't see how it would.

With a Stout I think over carb'n would be a double whammy. CO2 to some extent is a flavor. Doesn't go well with roasted malts. Think about why many Stouts are on beer-gas or nitro.

Well, beers can get sweeter with age. But if the beer goes that way I don't think that it would be a good stout. Unless it picks up some sherry flavors, like WWS can. Okay, I'm sticking with "no".

17. waltersrj

18. MontereyBay831

MontereyBay831 Zealot (610) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Trader

Shoot.. This one sent me over the edge last night. Had been drinking alot of 12year aged Jameson, and then drank the XV. (after a few different 12oz'ers also.) and ended up being way more toasty than I planned.

edit: but i agree with having it fresh. It is drinking awesome right now!

19. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,730) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Drink Old Raspy Anniversary beers fresh! I drank a bottle of the 12 anniversary in fall of 2011. Drank 14th anniversary fresh and with 6 months on it. IMO Old Raspy anniversary is best fresh when you get that nice bourbony chocolate notes and the mouthfeel is fantastic! As the Raspy anniversary ages the body seems to thin out and all those chocolate bourbon notes fade. I have always felt that it just a drink fresh beer, but to each there own! Its your beer do what you want!

20. jtmartino

jtmartino Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 California

There is a ton of bourbon heat in fresh Old Raspy BA beers. If you like that flavor, go fresh. If you prefer something more mellow with toned-down heat, sit on it for 10-14 months.

I love mine with a year on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.