Old Shenandoah Brewery Space?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by ipas-for-life, Apr 8, 2013.

1. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (435) Virginia Feb 28, 2012 Verified

Anybody hear anything about the space where Shenandoah brewing was? Last thing I read was they were bought out by the Farmers Cabinet out of Philly but that news was from 2011.

2. raveskdr

raveskdr Savant (425) Virginia Oct 10, 2009 Verified

Terry was brewing there for a little while. Apparently, they ran out of money and took everything out of there. I don't think anyone else has come into that space.

3. oh man. we need more Farmers Cabinet drama stat. I miss that.

4. StormKing47

StormKing47 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Nov 3, 2008 Verified

Well if they wouldn't have made so many bad decisions and a bunch of awful beers there wouldn't be drama.

5. stmgl01

stmgl01 Savant (260) Pennsylvania Dec 11, 2007

Which awful beers did you have? Most of the ones I had were great from what I remember!

6. StormKing47

Don't remember the names, but around black Friday '11 had a stout and a citra hopped saison neither of which were very good. I know Terry brewed some great stuff at the cabinet, but compared to what he used to brew and what he is currently brewing, the cabinet stuff doesn't hold a candle imho.

7. callmemickey

callmemickey Advocate (640) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2007 Verified

Yeah, because with Bullfrog and Pizza Boy you could hype the hell out of those since you were relatively local. When Terry was in Philly it wasn't to your benefit to hype him then.

ThoreauLikeAGirl likes this.
  8. StormKing47

I'm as far from Bullfrog as I am from Philly, roughly 2 hours so that makes your statement moronic. Traveled to the cabinet and did not care for much of the stuff that was being produced there by Terry. Love how you make it a Philly versus the rest argument for no reason, but you have also attended Bullfrog releases. Pretty hypocritical. Hope to see you supporting Pizza Boy in the future even though its not located close enough to you.

9. TheFunGuy

TheFunGuy Aficionado (210) Virginia Dec 27, 2011

I drove by. I saw a sign for lease. I couldn't see any gear, but I didn't get out of the car.

10. callmemickey

Relax, just having some fun and picking some low hanging fruit. You can see the optics of your negative Farmer's Cabinet comment juxtaposed with your 50 pizza boy posts in the last three months, right?

As for pizza boy, I have enjoyed the few beers I have had when I was out there a few months back. They are a bit hit or miss though, just like Terry's beer at both Farmer's Cabinet and Bullfrog.

11. StormKing47

Thats what I have heard to from different people gear was moved out building sits vacant.

12. StormKing47

True about the juxtaposition, but there haven't been any cabinet threads recently to have fun with. So rather than dredge up old ones why not have a little fun now?

13. callmemickey

This is true. I am still surprised the place still is open.

14. StormKing47

Yea surprising, but Mike from Bavarian Barbarian is there brewing to my knowledge. So they're still producing beers with the local brewpub vibe.

15. callmemickey

They don't have any house beers on now, and I can't recall them having anything new once they blew through Terry's beer.

16. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

The old SBC spot is literally right behind my apartment on Pickett. That place was completely empty last time I drove past there.

At least Pan American Bakery is still there.

17. ipas-for-life

Oh well. Was hoping it would turn into something similar.

18. ao125

I can't say I *really* had a lot of love for SBC. They wouldn't sell ingredients to homebrewers, and brewing on-site was fairly overpriced. The chocolate doughnut stout wasn't bad, but it tasted like the dumped a ton of Hershey's into a regular stout recipe. It really needed to be managed better, and the prices needed to be more accessible.

19. ipas-for-life

I hadn't been there in over 5 years. I used to work somewhat close and would head over on a Friday every now and then after work. Usually drink 1 beer and pick up a six to go. I can't remember most of the beers I had there but I did like the dr. dremo brown in bottles. It was kind of weird atmosphere.

20. ao125

I was more upset about Dremo's closing in Arlington. I used to go there for the Washington Psychotronic Film Society nights, and watch bad movies and drink good beer. I've been missing their grilled cheese on texas toast w/ bacon & avocado and a side of seasoned fries, something fierce.

Desaparecido likes this.
  21. cryme

cryme Aficionado (180) Delaware Jun 29, 2011

Has anyone even been to the cabinet since their draft list took a turn for the pedestrian? How is that place still open?

22. StormKing47

Sounds awful, I thought that Mike was brewing house stuff for them after Terry left? Learn something new everyday.

23. shadowane

shadowane Savant (300) Pennsylvania Sep 7, 2007 Verified

Mike isn't there anymore. He did a bit of brewing after Terry left, but then something happened, the owners dumped everything, and Mike moved on. I forget where he is now but it's in Virginia and he's supposedly happy.

24. mikereaser

mikereaser Savant (415) Pennsylvania Feb 5, 2008 Verified

I think all of the equipment was seized for not having the licenses to send the beer to PA. And I believe Mike is involved in starting a brewery in VA somewhere. Its been awhile since I saw him post about it though.

25. StormKing47

Ahh ok thanks for the clarification.

26. ao125

Port City is stupid-close. I'd say less than 10min away. Then there's Capitol City Brewing brewpub in Arlington, Lost Rhino, Devil's Backbone, Hardywood Park, Williamsburg AleWerks. (each, progressively farther away)

27. ipas-for-life

I always had a good time there also. One of the movies they showed that I can't remember the name of involved a woman who shot darts out of a place you would not expect.

28. shadowane

shadowane Savant (300) Pennsylvania Sep 7, 2007 Verified

I'm not sure how this follows my post but that's a decent number of breweries in VA. As mikereaser said, he's involved in some startup and not a known brewery.

29. stmgl01

stmgl01 Savant (260) Pennsylvania Dec 11, 2007

30. Fcab is one of the worst bars in the city. The food is atrocious and over priced, the beer lack luster at best, and service to match. I give them no more then 6 months till they are out of business from lack of patronage or legal action.