1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Olde Englishe Pube Crawle

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by paxton1978, Sep 10, 2012.

1. So, I have some friends coming in from the States on Weds , who are around for one day before heading off round Europe. They've asked me to do a bit of a pub crawl with them with me as guide. It's her first time in the UK and the emphasis is really on typically English OLD pubs rather than good beer. They've also mentioned Soho as a preference. SO, where would YOU take them? I've wracked my brains but just don't know the 'Olde' pubs that well.

I appreciate your help- hive mind activate!

2. Soho can give you the best of both ... The Old Coffee house, reasonably priced Brodies (up to 5 on cask) and in a former 19th century coffee house.

Other obvious oldies in London - Cheshire Cheese & Cittie of Yorkie (Sams shit)

Why not the Euston Tap - you can't buy 'quaint' like that over the pond!!!

paxton1978 likes this.
  3. Soho? Try the Dog & Duck on Bateman Street. Should be a fair amount of quirky stuff in there.

And BTW, shouldn't the thread begin with the word 'Ye'?

paxton1978 likes this.
  4. Take them to the olde Brewedogge pubbe in Camden, for some US-style brews ;)

paxton1978 likes this.
  5. If they are the types that will eat up stuff like Sam Smith's and Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, then by all means.... My favorite crawl was from The Flask in Highgate (via the Karl Marx cemetery and a hike through Hampstead Heath) to the Holly Bush to The Spaniards Inn...and then back to The Flask. My buddy who lives there and works in historic preservation lead us on this one. Too snooty (or too far out of the way)?

6. shyhenry

shyhenry Aficionado (155) Virginia Oct 11, 2010

If you have to keep this near Soho, I'd also recommend The Harp and The Princess Louise. Neither are exactly in Soho, but easily within walking distance. The Harp has a nice selection of real ales, and a pleasant, pokey vibe. The Princess Louise is a Sam Smiths pub. It's been opulently restored, and features compartmentalised drinking areas around a central bar. It's a nice representation of how many pre-Victorian pubs were organised.

The Old Coffee House has some really nice beers on at the moment. I was in there briefly yesterday, and tried a Fano/Brodies double mild as well as the new Kernel/Brodies IPA collaboration.

7. Old pubs? Nottingham has the Trip to Jerusalem reputed to be 1189 AD but although very old and carved into the rockit's perhaps not quite that old. Also consider York which is full of old places

8. Start at Blackfriars for, uh, the Black Friar. Walk through Fleet Street / Holborn. There's tons of olde worlde all the way to the Princess Louise.

9. This is all great stuff, lads- thanks! keep it coming, but you're helping me form a route in my head!