1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Older Cascade Report

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by GRG1313, May 18, 2013.

1. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (890) California Jan 15, 2009

Just opened the following. The bottles have been perfectly stored since release. My daughter and son in law came in to town for the weekend and we're "tasting" a bunch of things in the cellar.

Cascade Vlad the Imp Paler - this was one of the highlights of GABF a few years ago. I did everything I could to get a few bottles and enjoyed them very much. Just opened a bottle from the original release (2009?). This was one of my very favorite brews and I hate to say this but the original bottling of this is, in my opinion, undrinkable. Period. Not much else to say. It's just to old; tasted awful and I could not really even drink it. (Not to be confused with the most recent bottling which remains a wonderful drink!)

Cascade Bourbonic Plague - this was THE highlight of GABF for me a few years ago. This was, plain and simple, my favorite beer of 2009. (or was it 2010?). I loved! this beer. I am most sorry to report that this original bottling is simply not fit to drink, IMO. Plain and simple, it did not age well whatsoever.

The Vine - original bottling. This was a non-event for me. I found it over the hill and without character. This simply did not age well and, of course, not to be confused with the latest release which I like very much. I'd try them now if you have the older ones and judge for yourself. But, I suspect most will not like this original bottling at this point in time. JMO.

Sang Noir (2008/2009?) - Wow! Found two bottles of this and I hope I have more somewhere buried in my cellar. This beer rocks! This beer has aged perfectly and gets better and better in the glass as it gets some air and as it warms. I'm drinking it now as I write this and, while I've done a complete reversal about aging beer and love things fresh, this is clearly the exception to the rule. This beer has "aged complexities," fruit, body, character and is just plain good. I don't think it will go another year but hopefully at least a few more months. For those of us who simply "must age" beer - this was a good one. Drink now and it is very enjoyable! Again, JMO.

gpawned likes this.
  2. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I'm fairly sure Sang Noir has only been (officially?) bottled once and was released last year. Are you sure that's the beer you had and not Sang Royal?

3. vacax

vacax Advocate (630) California Jun 3, 2008

I tasted a full vertical of the Kriek last year... they got progressively worse. I can also comment on Apricot being one to drink fresh. In my experience Cascade just isn't something to age. When they put it in the bottle that is what it is supposed to taste like.

4. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (890) California Jan 15, 2009

Great catch! I don't know why I put down Sang Noir. The bottle is the 2009/2010 Sang Rouge; NOT the Sang Noir. Apologies but comments about the beer remain the same!

5. did the old krieks taste like new glarus enigma to you?

6. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

I'm not a fan of Cascade beers in general, but after stopping by their Barrel House on a recent trip down to Portland, I found that I enjoyed some of their classic offerings (Kriek, Apricot, et al) more on tap than I did out of recently released bottles. I don't know what it is, but for some reason, it appears that the fruit in their beers fades out awfully quickly compared to other breweries' beers. For example, I found the Blueberry (2011) almost undrinkable a mere few months after release.

7. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

sang rouge is too good. if they pulled an alchemist and only made sang rouge (...and apricot, maybe...), i wouldn't complain about it.

8. I had a 2009 Kriek this weekend and thought it was tasting really great. Plenty of tartness but nicely balanced.

9. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

I visited Portland in January and went to Cascade twice while there. I had just about every sour they had on tap and decided to buy a bottle of The Vine which just happened to be from 2011(don't know how often it's brewed). I bought it because I had tried all of the other bottles that were available. I just cracked it open and even though I've never had it fresh I think it's a fantastic beer right now. Nice bit of acidity and fruit flavor. Ever so slightly oxidized but not in a bad way. Would love to have it fresh as a comparison.

10. Just put out an ISO (recently) for a bottle of rouge and I'm glad to hear it's doing well...not glad to hear about the 09 vlad :(
    Thanks for the updates!

11. hannydawg

hannydawg Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 4, 2010

Had an 09 Sang Rouge about 2 months ago. Best Cascade beer I think I have had.

12. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

2009 Sang Royal is divine! Just opened a bottle last weekend. The OP's description of the Sang Noire/Rouge was spot on for Royal too. Give it a few min to breathe, open up and warm up a little.

I also had a similar exp. as the OP with aged Vlad and Bourbonic. Heavy chemical aroma and flavor. Acetone sadness. I've also had mixed results with Sang Noir, one was terrible, the other amazing. If they only bottled it once, then storage conditions was probably the issue.

I had a Strawberry '11, Apricot '11 and Blueberry '12 back in March '13 and there was only a hint of the featured fruit, but they were still lovely.

If Noyaux is any indication of what these are like fresh, then I must get my hands on some other fresh Cascades.

I'll be opening an '09 Kriek soon, I'm hoping eachnotesecure is right!

13. APreacher

APreacher Savant (260) California Jun 6, 2012

Having 09 vlad a few weeks ago, it was drinking great!