1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Older Viscosity

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by FriarTuckInLuck, Jan 25, 2013.

1. I just got through with a growler of Older Viscosity and it had to be one of the most sublime beers I've yet experienced. Lost Abby's BA beers are good, but not even in the same league as this IMO(Only had Deliverance and Angels Share). How is a beer this good related to Old Viscosity(also good but extremely different/lesser)? How can we convince Lost Abby to convert to the ways of the Older?
    gjahn123 and fujindemon74 like this.
  2. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

Older is great indeed. With a few years on it, it reaches an another plateau. Damn good stuff but pricey in the bottle.
  3. It's an amazing brew, just wish it wasn't so damn expensive compared to BCBS and Parabola.
  4. What are you paying for Older Viscosity?
  5. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) California Jan 17, 2013

I didn't know the put Older Viz in growlers. Old Viz yes. But Older?
  6. 36$ and worth every penny.
  7. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

I recall paying about $17 a bottle around SD and LA areas. Also seen it for $17ish on the east coast.
  8. Sometimes bartenders are fracking awesome. AZ bars are the shit. Especially the ones I frequent ;).
    Larrygto likes this.
  9. Great beer, horribly priced.
    Duff27, Gosox8787 and ShogoKawada like this.
  10. blguillen

blguillen Savant (300) California Apr 19, 2011

Love it! Can't wait to open up a bottle it soon :)
  11. Zimm

Zimm Savant (490) New Jersey May 18, 2012

Only saw a 12oz bottle for $16.99 here in NJ and didn't buy it. Is it worth it? How does it compare to Old Viscosity?
  12. danwho

danwho Savant (405) California Feb 18, 2010

It's older ;)
    Smurf2055 likes this.
  13. Zimm

Aged an extra 6th months? Is that correct?
  14. I can get corked 2011 Older Viscosity for $17.99 at my bottle shop. Ive looked at it many times but never got it. Youve got me thinking about it now, though.
  15. Worth it to me, but I'm a sucker;). I've only had 2008 and 2012 BCBS, and both were amazing as well. The Older seemingly had even more brown sugar, less molasses, and was not as pitch black. The bourbon flavors were up front and center, but not hot in the least. Old Viscosity can in no way be the base for this beer. Definitely in the RIS vein much more confidently. Over $1 an oz feels criminal, but wine snobs pay much more. BCBS is a far better value without a doubt.
    Momar42 likes this.
  16. Thecherryman

Thecherryman Initiate (0) Arizona Dec 8, 2010

where in AZ?
  17. Its barrel aged. Possibly my favorite BA stout., but it is very expensive
  18. Zimm

Maybe I'll give it a try. I have yet to see BCBS... I'm new to the true BA scene and when I asked about the BCBS at a quality store the guy kinda smiled at me and told me that goes super quick.
  19. I don't know if they would want me to put them on blast. I love the proprietors of my establishments and would hate to piss em off for any reason. Suffice to say its not the Yardhouse.
  20. It beats the living piss out of Angels Share or Deliverance, hyperbole aside.
  21. CMB2012

CMB2012 Savant (255) Illinois Nov 26, 2008

I love me some Older Viscosity! That said, it is one of the few beers I know of that is cheaper to buy on tap than in the bottle (though I have done both ;)). If the good folk at Port Brewing are telling the truth, the label on Older Viscosity simply says that it is actually the same beer as Old Viscosity except that they pick the "choicest" barrels to set aside and reserve for their premium version. Though they don't use the words choicest and premium (those are my words since I don't remember exactly and I don't have a bottle in front of me). I would assume then that it is possible it's aged longer, though probably not by much, but is just the cream of the crop. The rest they bottle as Old Viscosity which is still decent and probably helps cover the costs of the barrel aging.
  22. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Old Viscosity is nothing like Older Viscosity! Old is decent, Older Viscosity is amazing!! Older Viscosity blew my mind!!
    kansascitytrader likes this.
  23. Thecherryman

Thecherryman Initiate (0) Arizona Dec 8, 2010

Is it in the valley, meaning in phoenix area or tuscon? Thats all I am curiuos about!
  24. Buy it. now.
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  25. then mail it to me.
  26. Definitely in the valley(PHX). I like to know the people whose pockets I line with gold, so I rarely go to chain establishments. Beer Advocacy is all about community, and while I mostly lurk around events and tappings anonymously I love shaking hands with the owner. These people are the reason Whole Foods serves craft in the first place, they were on the front lines going balls to the wall back when so Bevmo could rake up the profits when the world finally caught on....okay end drunken rant....now.
  27. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

The bottles are too expensive so I always passed it up. I had it once on tap for $8, it was incredible.
  28. Never had older, though I'm not a huge fan of BA beers. I had coffee talk at LA and was pretty good. I' always see serpents stout in barrels when I'm there...
  29. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

For the record, both are barrel aged, just to different degrees. I actually like Old Viscosity better than Older. Had a bottle of Old tonight... Fantastic and super reasonably priced.
    albertq17 likes this.
  30. I love Serpent Stout and I love Lost Abby. I really do. That is why I am so surprised at the quality of Older being on a noticeably higher level IMO. I'd kill to live by Lost Abby thats for damned sure...
  31. I was not aware of this good sir...*adds bottle of Old Viz to shopping list
    dvelcich likes this.
  32. Azrael

Azrael Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013

You downed 64 oz of a 12% beer in one sitting? You are typing very well considering.
  33. Lol, it was over a couple of days. Its amazing how well it held up in the growler. I need to get a couple of swing top 12 ouncers so I could keep a little around just because.
  34. I live 5 minutes away. Guess I'm lucky?
  35. I live 5 minutes away from Four Peaks Brewery, arguably the best in my state. They won a couple gold at the World Beer cup(Kolsch, and APA). I enjoy their beers(shout out to the Hopsquatch). Lost Abby is in another league in my experience. I'm sure there would be no possibility of certain quality control issues arising if I was drinking at the source. lol.
  36. phildo7pt9

phildo7pt9 Zealot (85) California May 1, 2011

For anyone in the Los Angeles area, Vendome in Toluca Lake has the 2011 Older Viscosity for $13, on sale. Get it before I buy it all :)
  37. I believe Older Viscosity is one of the beers used in blending Churchill's Finest Hour '12
  38. phildo7pt9

phildo7pt9 Zealot (85) California May 1, 2011

Did you get the Older at The Lost Abbey?
  39. I was lucky enough to get it in Phoenix AZ,
  40. LA/Port beers are definitely way cheaper on tap, which has always struck me as an incredibly odd...

Old is definitely the better value. It's a great beer in its own right, and you can get nearly twice the amount for less than half the price.
    dvelcich likes this.