Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fredmugs, Apr 3, 2013.

1. fredmugs

fredmugs Poobah (1,195) Indiana Aug 11, 2012 Verified

I just saw and bought a bomber of this. There's no date on it so I can't figure out if this is an anniversary beer that was only made in 2007 or a beer that was first made in 2007 and at other times after that.

I've never seen this one before but one of the recent reviews stated a bottled date of 2010. Any background on this beer would be nice to know. Thanks!
  2. riemster

riemster Advocate (710) Ohio Mar 17, 2011 Verified

I had one in an Ommegang gift pack from Christmas. I did not know the bottle date as well. I love stouts, but this 1 just didn't do it for me :[
  3. If the label has a heart on it it is a new bottling

This is the older style label so not sure which year.. It is amazing stuff new or old tho
    fredmugs likes this.
  4. fredmugs

No heart. Looks exactly like the older one.
  5. fredmugs

Based on reivews I read it appears that the people who did not like it got it in a variety pack. Hmmmm.
  6. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,390) Washington Sep 24, 2007 Verified

I love that beer! Gonna have to see if I can find a bottle around, haven't had it in a while.
  7. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (860) Michigan May 8, 2006

I have had the beer a few different time and found it to be much more of a chocolate disappointment. It was an okay beer but not worthy of the name.
  8. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (235) Maine Jun 20, 2009

It's definitely been made since 2007, and prior to the new labels. It was included in their special release schedule at least 1 or 2 years since the first - likely '09 or '10, and quite likely other times.
  9. Found it on draft one time and got a growler .. It was quite the hit of the Christmas ale party that year !!!
  10. leprakhan

leprakhan Savant (405) California Dec 28, 2009 Verified

I thought it was great. Not that big though. Definetly a Belgium Stout. Light, crisp, a little bready with nice chocolate presense. I'd say its worth trying
  11. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (600) California Sep 25, 2009 Verified

Completely agree. Decent beer, but no where near the Chocolate I was expecting. Go for Choclat or Choclate Rain if you want a "chocolate indulgence" beer experience imo.
  12. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

I have a bottle in my fridge from the variety pack that came with the glass. Bought it around november I think. After seeing it's not that chocolaty as people were expecting I'm kind of relieved since chocolate beers are very much hit or miss for me. And mostly miss.
  13. dangle47

dangle47 Aficionado (195) New York May 16, 2007 Verified

Had it on tap at the brewery a few years back and i thought it was Outstanding. I haven't had it in the bottle yet though. The only complaint i had with it was that i felt it was a tad over-carbonated, but that's a minor flaw in my book.
    fredmugs likes this.
  14. Immortale25

Immortale25 Champion (855) North Carolina May 13, 2011 Verified

I bought a bottle a while ago with the old label and it was from a bottle shop that doesn't get much turnover so it very well could have been from '07 because it didn't taste good at all. I've since deleted my review of it because I don't want to review a beer based on an unfresh bottle...but after seeing this thread, who knows?
  15. BigPlay1824

BigPlay1824 Savant (425) New York Oct 13, 2010

I'm very familiar with this beer as I went to College right down the road from ommegang. I've had this beer fresh (both the original running and from the new variety pack) and I've also had a bottle from the original batch with five years under its belt. This beer ages phenomenally but I think five year (or six max) is the peak for the brew. Really becomes incredibly more complex on the chocolate flavors and texturally over time. If you got one from the original batch (older label) I'd say its pre to be drank right now as long as it was t light struck sitting on the shelf or subjected to less than ideal temperatures
  16. damienblack

damienblack Savant (440) Massachusetts Jul 5, 2007 Verified

It's not quite that simple... you really can't say CR has the same availability as an Ommegang.
  17. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (600) California Sep 25, 2009 Verified

kzoobrew said:
    I have had the beer a few different time and found it to be much more of a chocolate disappointment. It was an okay beer but not worthy of the name.​

Notice I didn't say they had the same availability, I didn't even imply it, it's not even my point. More, what's in a name, and in this case, imo, Ommegang fails to deliever on a chocolate overload experience.
  18. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (920) New York Dec 13, 2009 Verified

the bottling date is printed on the bottle's neck. hold it to the light, look at the neck, you'll see the year. i believe the first year they did it, they weren't bottle dating.