1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

On average, how many different "styles" do you drink in an evening?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MVotter, Jan 6, 2013.

1. MVotter

MVotter Savant (270) New York Sep 9, 2007

Unless I'm specifically attending or hosting a beer tasting, I have to say two different styles per evening; usually one "hop-dominated" style and one "malt-dominated" style.
  2. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I say 2-3. Just depends on what I am in the mood for.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  3. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

usually 2. Pale Ale or IPA and Imperial Stout.
  4. 2-3 normally, but they are all fair game on abnormal evenings.
    cavedave likes this.
  5. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (370) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

It ranges depending if it's a night where I'm sessioning or "ticking". I average about three different styles which equals three beers usually.
  6. I usually drink a couple beers a night, and they are usually a different style. So about 2 per night.
  7. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

usually two. start with something interesting, then go to some stouts or some PA/IPA's
  8. if it's good and available, would taste em all. I try not to let the moment dictate the beer I consume. On a normal occurrence, I try at least 3 sometimes 4 just to get an idea on what I want to "really" drink.
  9. Usually start with a Mirror Pond or Sierra Nevada Pale, and move on from there. Depends on the night. My dog passed away today, so I'm hitting the big beers. He would want it that way.
  10. my condolences for your loss. It would be hard to replace my dog when the time comes. So cheers to you, you will find another companion that will give you just as much or more joy that this one did. Cheersya.
    elgiacomo likes this.
  11. mixed_master7

mixed_master7 Initiate (0) Florida May 16, 2012

At a beer bar I'll usually look for the best examples of 3-4 different styles in a sitting. At home I usually only have 2-3 RIS and IPA's.

Sorry for your loss, beautiful pup.
  12. Again, sorry for your loss. Dogs are just fantastic. Spent the evening with 3 giant golden retrievers and came home to my chiweenie. I'd be devastated as would my wife.

On topic: usually a few. I like to start with something mellow like a PA or an amber or even a good lager, alternate between bigger beers, usually stouts and ipas, then end with a mellow beer. Maybe I'm OCD, but I HAVE to alternate between styles. I'll almost never drink two of the same style in a row.
  13. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

None. I drink beer, not styles.
    cavedave likes this.
  14. In any case there's often as much variety within a "style" than between two supposedly different ones..
    Mind you, to some people there's more or less a style for each beer.
    cavedave likes this.
  15. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

My range of styles for an evening of drinking is only limited when our tasting group picks a theme. Otherwise there is no rules for it, one beer seems to put me in the mood for another, same or different in style.
  16. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

2 or 3 styles in a sitting.
  17. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

All depends, whatever happens. Last night I had Fuller's 1845, Fegley's Rude Elf's Reserve, Simple Times Pilsner, SA Whitewater IPA and Allagash.

And I am hungover as fuck right now. :confused:
    smitherz22 likes this.
  18. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Around 3 on average. A hop bomb, a big stout aand a barleywine.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  19. I usually only do 1 style per night, considering I usually only have 1 beer per night.
    Maybe on the weekend I'll hit 2 or 3 styles at a craft bar.
  20. At least one.
  21. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

1 beer a night on drinking nights so 1 style.

When I have friends over, we'll usually hit 2-3 different styles- usually stouts and APA/IPAs.
  22. elgiacomo

elgiacomo Savant (460) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

At least two. Like the OP, one hoppy, one malty. Usually IPA and Imperial Stout.
  23. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Usually one as I usually only drink one bottle after dinner. On rare occasions, I have lost count of both styles and quantity consumed...wandering through Madison, WI with friends comes to mind...so many taps, so little time...
  24. WinoSapien

WinoSapien Disciple (70) Texas Jun 28, 2010

Pale Ale and Delirium Nocturnum on a typical night. Bud Platinum on a broke ass night.:(
  25. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

Sorry to hear this.
  26. BS-

BS- Aficionado (125) Singapore Sep 1, 2012

2-4. I usually start with an IPA then move up the hop level, or porters into stouts, ending with belgian strong dark ales or imperial IPAs.
  27. Sorry to hear that...beautiful dog.

On a typical weeknight, I generally have one beer, so only one style. On weekend nights, when the wife and I are sittin around watching TV, etc, or we're out with friends, I'll have anywhere from 3-5, and that's often 3-4 styles, as I like a decent amount of variety.
  28. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I rarely drink the same style twice in a row
  29. I hate to take the easiest answer but really I have to say it just depends on what beer I want, within my means. I guess to elaborate a bit further, I have no problem drinking one single style over multiple beers. I also have no problem drinking several beers of a different style each. If the palate calls for a double IPA, only to then request a lager, followed by a sour, I listen to the palate. It would really be impossible to give an average on this topic, but I would say that I generally lean toward variety rather than repeats.
  30. Depends on what I have in the fridge. I prefer IPAs over all other styles so if I'm overstocked with them, I'll stick to the one style. If not, I'll usually have 2-3 styles, usually an amber or pale ale along with the IPAs. When out at a bar or restaurant, I don't pay much attention to the style of the beer, as I like to have beers that I haven't had before, as long as I like the style itself.
  31. tronester

tronester Advocate (635) Oklahoma Nov 25, 2006

Usually 2 styles, because I only drink two beers a day. Occasionally 3 or even 4.
  32. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

33. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

Usually one. I typically drink 2-3 beers a night but usually I'll pick two or three of the same style. Although once a week or so I will have an IPA then a stout.
  34. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

when I get home from work I have two English Pale Ales, except in the Summer when that becomes a Pilsener. After dinner is for Porters/ Stouts, Strong Ales, Old Ales, Dubbels, Tripels, Quads,etc. in the Summer after dinner beers would be Hefes, Kolschs, Vienna Lagers, etc.

Rarely, ever more than 2 styles in a day.
  35. I typically only drink on the weekends and when I do I usually have three styles Czech Pils, a nice stout and then a hop bomb.
  36. i usually start with a saison ,wit, or hefe then an ipa
  37. 1 style, 3-4 pints per night, per every 3 weeks. I don't feel you can truly experience every nuance of a beer until you finish a pony keg of it.
  38. It's very interesting to me that some people's habits are so strictly formed-the same number of beers and styles every night. There's no rhyme or reason to what I drink, either in number or in style. Depends what I feel like at the moment I open the fridge door (constrained of course by what I felt like the moment I was at the store).
  39. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (325) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

If there is new stuff in the fridge then as many styles as are present.

If not, I try to stay in the same style if not the same beer.