1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

On Tap in the Twin Cities - February Edition

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by DBijnagte, Feb 1, 2014.

1. MCImes I don't know for sure but I doubt it. Imagine this on BA tuesdays at the Nova a line of people with empty growlers and people in the bar get nothing not likely.

2. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Savant (320) Minnesota Jan 30, 2013

Most, if not all, of their tap list is available in growlers. 10 50 isn't available right now for growler fill. No growler fills (per Nova's Feb 4 tweet) specifically for BA Stout Tuesdays.

3. MCImes

MCImes Savant (350) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

Ah, good to know. I figured it sounded too good to be possible...

Although, if the keg lasts till wednesday, then can I get a growler? =)

4. Just bring an empty growler with you and gradually fill it with each pour you buy at the tap. Problem solved!

5. MNMike

MNMike Aficionado (235) Minnesota Dec 3, 2013

Good list from Feb. 10 at Groveland Tap.

http://goo.gl/0wQyWs

I still have to try Rebellion Stout and this year Backwoods Bastard...

6. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (345) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

My God, those prices.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    SipIt likes this.
  7. Does the asterisk next to some of them denote that they're overpriced? ;)

$15.00 for 10 ounces of BCBS is insanity.

nogophers likes this.
  8. Steasy66

Thats a steal compared to $1.20/oz for Ten Fidy.

will1256 and SNReject like this.
  9. MCImes

MCImes Savant (350) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

There isnt a beer on that list I would pay that price for. That entire menu is outrageous. Thats one of the worst menus (price wise) ive ever seen.

P.S. Im outraged for everyone who bought a beer there. ever.

The only beer ive paid $1/oz for was BB9k and thats a F-ing WHALE!!! (and totally worth it i might add)

10. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

If you're so inclined - Syx is on at McKenzie. I was not so inclined.

11. SNReject

SNReject Zealot (85) Jun 26, 2012

Those prices must be in Canadian dollars, and why on earth are they doing 10 oz pours of like... half of those beers?

12. Yeah, especially considering you can likely find Ten Fidy a few steps away at Ale Jail. Hah.

jesseparker1 likes this.
  13. Steasy66

Just got back from Hudson where I had 4 Roses barrel aged Ten Fidy for $0.67/oz. Pretty nice beer and worth trying. They also had 2012 BCBS on tap.

14. theCoder

theCoder Savant (330) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Although not mindblowing but Flaherty's Arden Bowl now has Furious on tap. I'm excited I no longer have to settle for whatever random bottle they have which is Fulton Sweet Child of Vine but at $4 a bottle vs $5.75 for a uh whatever their tall pour is heh it's a BIG glass on my Tuesday night bowling league.

Douggo likes this.
  15. The only way I would go to the Groveland tap
    Is if they have a loan officer on site 15.00 for Bourbon County is over priced.

16. wuuin

wuuin Aficionado (185) Minnesota May 16, 2007

i've drank at groveland tap a thousand times, and never thought they were overpriced. but with those prices, looks like they're trying to make it stout month.

will1256 likes this.
  17. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (740) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

$8.50 for a 10 once pour of Founders Breakfast Stout? I'll grab a four pack for $10 thank you very much.

nogophers likes this.
  18. Mplsmetro57

The bar chalkboard hadn't been updated so 2012 BCBS was not on tap. IMO the BA 10 50 didn't have much barrel character although it had a nice fudgy flavor.

19. Or $15 for BCBS :eek: I got a chock-full snifter at Republic 7C last week for $9.

20. Steasy66

I agree on both points. Muted barrel but the aging smoothed out the edges of an already smooth beer. Not a lot of complexity until the finish.

21. McRyan

McRyan Aficionado (230) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

Some very mixed reviews from the Destihl release at the Gnome last night. I loved the Gose and RyePA! Anyone else go?

maximum12 likes this.
  22. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

No, but I was very curious. Loved the pours of Destihl I've had at the Great Taste of the Midwest, & was surprised at the lower scores a lot of their beers have. Hearing the RyePA was good means I'll probably head up there tonight. Anybody else there last evening?

23. McRyan

I really wish the Gnome and others would adopt flights or smaller pours. Antiquity and Gose were fairly expensive. Their events are really coming in last minute notice to the public. Hohensteins has done nothing to promote their first two events. Won't respond to anything on social media or emails. The first two canned beers we are going to see soon are Abbey's Single and Hoperation Overload Double IPA!

24. Mplsmetro57

The Gose was ok (Sweet Tarts!) but certainly not worth $12 for a 10 oz pour. The BA Barley Wine barely had any flavor.

25. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Did I read that price right? That's sky-high even by the Gnome's standards. Perhaps I'll go ahead & go elsewhere tonight. Yikes. Thanks for saving me the time & gas to drive there.

26. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

+1....well maybe not a thousand times, but there normal taps have always been reasonably prices. What made them decide to try and top the Gnome's pricing? Crazy.
    [edit - Maximum beat me to the gnome bashing....]

27. Tap list for 612 Brew's anniversary tomorrow night:
    SIX
    Rated R
    Zero Hour
    Blue Coat 1916
    Bitter Cold IPA
    Cask SIX on Skittles
    Payback
    Shere Khan

On Skittles?

28. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Champion (780) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

Skittles might actually add flavor :cool:

29. You gave me shit for my Untappd rating of Zero Hour and I'll admit I may have been drinking and scored a little high. But they're trying. Trying so hard.

billhelm likes this.
  30. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

I don't get there often, but I was there for a Dark Horse night and they did a flight for their stouts. But I don't know how often that type of thing happens there.

31. McRyan

that would of been perfect for Destihl!

32. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

Went to 3 Squares last night in Maple Grove, they had Indeed Rum King on tap.

Being an out of towner, I'm unfamiliar with what else is within a short distance from 3 squares that is worth checking out?

33. Absolutely nothing

McRyan likes this.
  34. Mplsmetro57

100% correct.

35. Founders smoked porter goes on at 5 @ Mackenzie's

36. billhelm

billhelm Savant (370) Minnesota Feb 9, 2011

37. Douggo

Douggo Aficionado (235) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

Hopslam still on at Valley Tap, as is a sign counting down to the tapping of BCBS. Currently at 12 days, 5 hours. So, Feb 26, 7 pm?

BarrelAgedBarry likes this.
  38. Douggo

Douggo Aficionado (235) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

Valley Tap also advertising Mar 5 Deschutes night, including 2013 Abyss and Black Butte XXV.

BarrelAgedBarry likes this.
  39. Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence, Fulton Patience, Boulevard Chocolate Ale at Republic 7 courses with some very fun food pairings.