On Tap In The Twin Cities - June Edition

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by opwog, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. opwog

opwog Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

Come ready for some great sausages. I had a rabbit/rattlesnake last time and it was great!

2. opwog

This isn't about any specific release, but I know that a lot of bar managers, beer buyers and distributors read this thread and this is something that I think needs to be addressed. It has to do with taking rare kegs and putting them on, taking them off and putting them on again; sometimes several times. The main issues that I have seen is getting beers mixed up (including verticals) or having flavors of previous beers on that line bleeding in. And I know that both of these issues can happen even if the switching of kegs in and out repeatedly wasn't happening, but what I have noticed is that where I am finding these issues most often are also the bars that I know do switch their kegs in and out without just letting them kick in their own time. I am not calling anybody out here, because other than these issues, these are places that I otherwise really enjoy. And I fully understand the reasons why (scheduled back to back takeovers, wanting to appear to have rare beers more frequently, slow sales, etc.). But to have KBS poured and have it taste significantly of raspberries is not what a customer should expect from a $10 pour. When things like this happen, it completely misinforms the public about what these beers should taste like and for the brewery and local distributors, this is really a practice that should be frowned upon.

OK, time to put my soapbox back in the garage.

3. ramay86

ramay86 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Minnesota

ISO: raspberry KBS

MN23, Ristaccia, opwog and 2 others like this.
  4. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,066) Nov 12, 2010 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

At Busters on 28th, looking for people to help drink Nelson so we can get Hoppy Birthday.

maximum12 and gatornation like this.
  5. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (9,502) Apr 18, 2007 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Had a pint of Nelson yesterday at Busters and thought it was very good and on point, had Hoppy Birthday in CA but not the GF brewed yet

6. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,066) Nov 12, 2010 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yea its a very good representation of Alpine cant say the same for "Toppling Goliath"

gatornation likes this.
  7. gatornation

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG] Hoppy Birthday on @ Busters

8. mothman

mothman Grand Pooh-Bah (5,802) Jun 21, 2007 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

How is it? I might be biking tonight and that might be stop #1 for me!

9. gatornation

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Very Good has citrus,mango,tropical nose and taste slight hop bite finish, nelson is gone had that one saturday, GF IMO is doing a nice job on these

XmnwildX12 and mothman like this.
  10. Douggo

Douggo Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2009 Minnesota

Peruvian Morning still hanging in at Valley Tap.

11. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2013 Minnesota

Devil Dancer on tap at Pat's Tap.

evilgenius1917 likes this.
  12. jakemn91

jakemn91 Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2013 New Mexico

Nomad will have 2014 and 2015 KBS tomorrow, June 12 at 5:00. Also '14 Backwoods Bastard, Rubaeus, and Imperial Stout.
    See the Growler's post about it Here.
    Cheers!

Mplsmetro57 likes this.
  13. mingo

mingo Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2013 Arizona

devil dancer is on at new bohemia gv.

14. opwog

I never thought that I would be mentioning a Lucid beer in this thread, but I just had a dB Black IPA at Yard House and it was great. Closer to hoppier stouts like Old Rasputin. Not sure if this will become a regular release or a one time. Worth getting if you need to hit the Westend for a movie or Costco.

Jack_Deichert and jakemn91 like this.
  15. ramay86

Eastlake still has their 11.2 batch of Gustav Mauler's on and I have to say... given the ABV, they really nailed this one. This is the beer that Double Crooked Tree wishes it was.

Little boozy, pretty sweet, very oily... it's got a cotton candy thing going on that works. Melon and some grapefruit.

16. mingo

mingo Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2013 Arizona

peanut butter porter on nitro, on at dangerous man.

17. PlatonicOtterLuv

PlatonicOtterLuv Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2014 Minnesota
    Deactivated

One more local place to hit up - Boom Island still has Gravity no. 9 on tap, a Belgian strong dark aged in tequila barrels on plums. Very nuanced and complex, mild sweetness with a semi-tart finish. I can't believe how well this style works with the tequila and the plums actually do come through near the back of the flavor profile.

Tender said it is only available barrel aged, so I'm not sure why there are 2 listings on here. Anyone know? @DaveAnderson (made second beer listing)

morimech likes this.
  18. ramay86

I'm normally not a fan of dark Belgians but this seems like a valid excuse to finally check out their taproom.

PlatonicOtterLuv likes this.
  19. morimech

morimech Grand Pooh-Bah (3,779) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

This is on at the Hollywood Roadhouse. It is a very good beer. The tequila is really noticeable in the aroma with more of a subdued flavor but it is noticeable. Did not get the plums so much. I agree that it really works well together.

20. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2013 Minnesota

I'm glad to hear they have a good one. I still have two free pints there from a groupon. When my wife and I went the beers were awful, but I would love to have a solid brewery in the neighborhood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.