1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

On Tap in the Twin Cities - March edition

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by MCImes, Mar 1, 2014.

1. MCImes

MCImes Savant (360) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

...new month, more beer...Good times!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  2. HoudiniRN

HoudiniRN Savant (315) Minnesota Feb 28, 2014

Looking forward to some KBS this month!

If anyone sees anymore BCBS on tap around the area (besides AV) please let me know!
    Also if anything good in the Rochester area would be appreciated...

3. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

According to their website Butcher and the Boar has BCBS

4. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

Anyone going to Hudson today to go to Pitchfork for Vanilla Rose Imperial Bourbon Porter?

Vanilla Rose Imperial Bourbon Porter
    A small batch porter brewed with whole vanilla beans, local honey, and aged in a Four Roses bourbon barrel, this beer will be available in limited quantities this week. It will be sold in the tap room in 10 oz. pours for $5 starting Wednesday 2/26 and will be available in 22 oz. bottles for $8 on Saturday, 3/1.

maximum12 likes this.
  5. Nico's Tacos and Tequila in Uptown has very affordable pints of Central Waters BB Stout.

6. Not only affordable @ nico's: ridiculously cheap. $4 pints of cw bb stout during brunch (until 3) today.

7. McRyan

But then you will be at Nico's and in Uptown.

Pug and evilgenius1917 like this.
  8. doner24

doner24 Aficionado (200) Minnesota Apr 16, 2013

Republic in Uptown had BCBS on tap yesterday and let me include it in the 4 for $12 sampler.

McRyan likes this.
  9. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

I just saw that Red Cow/Oskar Blues event for tomorrow, being promoted with a segment on the Fox 9 morning show. The chef was on talking about the special burger that they are doing for this event and then discussed the Oskar Blues launch. That burger looks awesome!

10. Took a trip to visit Pitchfork on Sunday. They were already sold out of the Vanilla Rose Imperial Bourbon Porter bottles (staff said they went in 45 min). Luckily they still had some on tap. It was fantastic!

McRyan likes this.
  11. opwog

I noticed that it was also discounted at happy hour when I was there, but I don't recall exactly what the pricing was, but I remember thinking that it was about the best deal that I had seen given the price to pour size.

12. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (475) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

Has anyone tried this? Is it as good as it sounds?

McRyan likes this.
  13. McRyan

14. Bunuelian

Bunuelian Savant (415) Minnesota Mar 22, 2013

I didn't make it in time for bottles on Saturday but I did try it on tap and liked it quite a lot. Lower barrel presence and lover abv than most bourbon barreled stuff coming out lately but it worked for me with the subtle vanilla flavor especially as it warmed up. Very good beer. I had a great conversation with the head brewer, Mike, as well. It sounds like they've secured another Four Roses barrel so we'll be seeing this one again in the future and they're considering reusing barrels for other beers, too.

McRyan likes this.
  15. lonewolfcry likes this.
  16. McRyan likes this.
  17. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Champion (810) Minnesota Feb 19, 2005

Sour Barrel Aged Luv Jus just went on tap at the Harriet Taproom. For all those waiting for a Minnesota brewery to start rocking sours you need not wait any longer. I think I can accurately describe Harriet's sours as on par with those of Jolly Pumpkin.

18. opwog

lonewolfcry likes this.
  19. BierVogel

BierVogel Savant (280) Minnesota Oct 29, 2012

RePUBlic has BCBS on the menu like it ain't no thang. If it's on the menu, I can't imagine it's going anywhere anytime soon, so they must have a stash of kegs of the stuff.

HoudiniRN, lonewolfcry and McRyan like this.
  20. MCImes

MCImes Savant (360) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

Im not a huge fan of the BB IPA's ive had in the past, but the OB Breckenridge Gubna ROCKS. Glad I got to try it last night. I suggest you all go get some if you can (although its $9 for 10oz).

Also, another thought I realized last night at red cow:
    Summit rebellion stout is almost the same as Ten Fidy to me, but I like Rebellion a little more. I've decided that the malt in Fidy is roasted slightly darker than I prefer. Still extra tasty, but I like it more as it ages. I had a can of 11' a couple weeks ago and it was delicious. 2 different beers I know, but after having Fidy and Rebellion back to back, they were surprisingly close to me.

21. will1256

will1256 Savant (380) Minnesota Dec 4, 2010

As of last night, Rum King and Sweet Repute both still on at the Gnome. Rum King was $8/10oz, a surprisingly good deal by Gnome standards, but Sweet Repute was $12/10 oz.

22. 3 Squares is tapping Blakkr tonight at 5.

BrettHead likes this.
  23. solace

solace Aficionado (110) Minnesota Aug 23, 2007

really solid Fulton tap lineup at the Butcher & The Boar 2nd b-day party on Sunday, March 16th:

http://butcherandtheboar.com/2014/03/butcher-boar-turns-2/

LIVE MUSIC BEGINNING AT 2

FULTON BREWS ON TAP
    • Lonely Blonde
    • The Ringer
    • The Expat- Rye Saison, spring seasonal
    • The Libertine
    • Sweet Child of Vine
    • Worthy Adversary- randallized with oak chips, vanilla bean and cacao nibs.
    • Patience
    • War & Peace
    • 3711 Rue Bourbon- aged in a Buffalo Trace Bourbon barrel (only 1 barrel made)
    • Imperial Golden Farmhouse- newest garage series sneak preview (not released to public till April)
    • annnnnnd last but not least- Fulton Citrus Ginger Ale cocktails made with B&TB Knob Creek Single Barrel

24. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Savant (320) Minnesota Jan 30, 2013

Great Divide tap invasion tonight @ Republic Uptown @ 6 pm. Grand Cru, Oak Aged Yeti, Lasso IPA, and Old Ruffian.

25. opwog

Just curious; who's randall? Does B&B have one or does Fulton have one that they are bringing?

26. FYI: Red Cow still has all but one of their special Oskar Blues kegs release still on tap as of late Thursday. Apologies, I don't remember which keg was out, maybe @ShannonRedCow can fill in the details?

They blew through their keg of Blakkr already though.

27. McRyan

What's still on at Mackenzie's?

28. Tonight 5pm Destihl beers on tap at Stub and Herbs, Tenebrous black rye IPA, Vertex IPA, 120 Schilling Scotch Ale

29. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

I love the one I've seen Fulton use at beer fests (not sure if they upgraded but they said it worked great and I agree it did) and I will be getting the same one once I get my keg system setup. A whole house water filter system minus the filter :)

30. You should really just...

Not gonna say it...lol

striker2160 and Mplsmetro57 like this.
  31. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (475) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

Yes, I'm a teacher. Forgive me, but this made me chuckle. I really thought you were confused and were asking who this Randall guy is. [Who's (who is) Randall? Randall is a great guy and a lousy poker player.]

Then I realized you meant, "Whose (possessive) randall is it?"

Back to class, students:)

32. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

Haha, I didn't realize what he was asking either until this post.

33. opwog

I am laughing so hard after rereading that sentence the way that I wrote it. I definitely know "what" a randall is, I just didn't know which party had one. I can't even put that one on auto correct. That was all me.

Cyclone8 and BarrelAgedBarry like this.
  34. Hopslam firkin at Grumpys NE today at 4pm.

opwog and BrettHead like this.
  35. igor

igor Aficionado (200) Minnesota Nov 7, 2009

This sounds great!

@DangerousMan7: Hey all you #hopheads out there, we are tapping our Batch 100 Triple IPA today at 3pm. 12.4% ABV and 160 IBUs! Stop by and give it a try!

36. igor

igor Aficionado (200) Minnesota Nov 7, 2009

One update!

@DangerousMan7: Not 160 IBU rather 138. Come smash some #almostbalanced

37. Douggo

Douggo Savant (270) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

Well, forget it, then.

38. Tea Bagged cask of Furious At Grumpys Downtown tapped at noon

opwog and BrettHead like this.
  39. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Savant (340) Minnesota Jul 15, 2008

Nothing spectacular, but a $7 flight of Abrasive, Myrcenary, Hopslam, and Hot Box was well worth it at The Lowry for me this afternoon. No restrictions on flights, though each of those was $7 or above for 10 oz on its own. Tender also gave me a free Summit Unchained glass for good measure.

Ish1 and lonewolfcry like this.
  40. Thanks for the grammar lesson teach...
    I can't wait for the next lesson; it's been a while since your last one. :rolleyes: