1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

On Tap in the Twin Cities - March edition

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by MCImes, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (475) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

Happy to help.

2. psychotia

psychotia Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

Who's happy to help whom? I'm lost.

3. Chumley22

Chumley22 Zealot (85) Minnesota Sep 28, 2013

The Julu Bru is a pretty damn decent sour as well! All of their other beers are drinking great also especially liked The Elevator dopplebock and East Side was making a rare appearance as well. Harriet has been a favorite of mine since they opened, really turned me on to the belgian style!

ben4bier and KarlHungus like this.

4. I don't know who Randall is, but I can tell you, *this* particular Randall is one of two that Fulton built and uses at events.

5. Ever have something stuck in your teeth that drives you nuts but when you get it out you kind of miss it? That just happened to me trying to figure out who Furnace Cowgirl is.

FurnaceCowgirl likes this.
  6. I may have missed it back in late Feb, but does anyone know if Founder's Smoked Porter is on anywhere or will be on anywhere soon? Thanks!

7. Lowry next Thursday.

mothman likes this.
  8. Awesome! Thank you for sharing!

9. It's very good. I lucked out and had a work trip to Grand Rapids the week they released it. I'm not a huge smoked porter fan but really liked this one.

10. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

Anyone else feel Mirror Mirror is underrated?

11. Bryant Lake has Cask conditioned Sweet Child on Citra war and peace and Patience

12. millah

millah Aficionado (140) Minnesota Nov 22, 2008

Was on at the gnome last weekend.

13. McRyan

What a waste of Citra.

14. Was the citra personally wasted on you or is this an effort at conjecture?

15. McRyan

I was just being a jerk. haven't even tried it.

16. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

It has a 93 on here, which is already considered outstanding. There isn't much further to go in ratings. Personally, I think that beer suffers a little identity crisis by not aligning itself with American barleywine characteristics, but also not committing itself enough to really be any type of English style barleywine.

McRyan likes this.
  17. Since when is being unique such a bad thing?
    Take Doom, for instance. Nothing out there like it, that I knew of anyway; and I loved it.
    Another example is Baby Maker by Jack's Abby; a Lager Wine that's amazing.

Edit: Crap. Thought this was the Mirror Mirror thread. Oh well, I can't wait to try it.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    striker2160, BrettHead and McRyan like this.
  18. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

Being unique is certainly not an issue. That is what the catch all term of strong ale is for. And I am not trying to make any point of it being mis-categorized or anything like that, as they can market it anyway that they want. Also, I didn't say that I didn't like it. I was just saying that at 93 and "outstanding" (by the BA rating standards), the beer certainly isn't underrated (the post that I was responding to). It just isn't anything like a beer that would make the highest category of "world class" (which it is only two points from, again by BA rating system). It is just a big strong ale that is definitely less interesting than most other barleywines with the same overall rating). In fact I have a bottle of the original batch that I am going to open next year at 10 years (1 theirs, 9 mine) aging on it, hoping that somehow it develops more character, even if that character comes from some oxidation. Obviously, all just my opinion here, but fresh or even aged 2 or 3 years that I have tried, it seems like a very one dimensional beer.

19. Chumley22

Chumley22 Zealot (85) Minnesota Sep 28, 2013

Surly tap room- Cynic and Overrated which I almost never see on tap along with Misanthrope, Abrasive and Blakkar- that is a nice offering!

20. Sorry guys I was in Florida....
    We have the Deviant Dales, Breckenridge Gubna, Oskar The G'Rauch, and Ten Fidy on tap still!

opwog and Mplsmetro57 like this.
  21. McRyan

runfoodrun likes this.
  22. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Champion (795) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

23. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (330) Minnesota Sep 11, 2013

24. Wait whoa your posting about a Citra brew .. are you sure?

25. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Yes, fuck yes.

I remember the last release right when Deschuttes hit MN. I could find it on shelves for months (HAHAHAHAHAH not gonna happen now...) and man I stocked up. Drank my last bottle this past June and loved the shit out of it.

McRyan likes this.
  26. McRyan

One knows how to properly use the hop the other doesn't. Whoa.

27. gopher44

gopher44 Aficionado (150) Minnesota Nov 16, 2007

Stubs has Leprechaun Flute and Wolf Picker from Odell on tap

McRyan likes this.
  28. Fulton Expat Firkin at Grumpys DT today (now) and one at 3pm at Grumpys NE!

evilgenius1917 likes this.
  29. St Paddys Irish and Irish style beers going on today at Red Cow:
    Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale
    Guinness
    O'Hara's Irish Red
    Smithwick's
    Harp
    Odell Leprechaun Flute
    Lift Bridge Irish Oatmeal Stout
    Magner's Irish Cider

Perfect if you pair with one of our specials below!
    [​IMG]

30. leezy

leezy Aficionado (185) Minnesota Sep 13, 2009

Blue Door St Paul has a Summit tap takeover with Frostline, Rebellion Stout and Unchained #15

31. McRyan

I love that Hams is still on!
    [​IMG]

KarlHungus, leezy and evilgenius1917 like this.
  32. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Champion (810) Minnesota Feb 19, 2005

There seems to be a lot of talking, and not a lot of beer finding on the thread this month. Well, to go against the trend, I saw Central Waters BBS, and Folton Patience on tap at Bryant Lake Bowl yesterday.

33. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (330) Minnesota Sep 11, 2013

Brau Brothers Bancreagie Sour Scotch Ale and Ten Fidy on tap at the prairie tap house in Eden Prairie

McRyan likes this.
  34. brydeen

brydeen Savant (265) Minnesota Dec 18, 2009

Nothing overly noteworthy, but Crooked Pint Ale House just opened a second location, down in Apple Valley. 32 craft taps, including Abrasive, Blakker, and Unchained #15. Solid bar food too

35. McRyan

Mackenzie's still has BA Ten Fidy on!

36. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (740) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

Thanks for sharing, I was curious as to what they were going to have. Mind sharing what else they have on?

They don't have a website or a Facebook page yet, which is surprising if you want to get the word out.

Chaz likes this.
  37. brydeen

brydeen Savant (265) Minnesota Dec 18, 2009

Beer menu is a little frustrating. The have the majority of the menu listed as "rotator" or "seasonal" or sometimes both, depending on the brewery. Heavy on locals, with 4 Surly (Furious, Bender, Abrasive, Blakkr) 4 Summit ( EPA, Saga, Unchained #15, Oatmeal) and 2 regular Indeed. The rest were basically seasonal offerings that will change, but not sure on regularity. Some that they had were:

Founders Red Rye IPA
    Goose Island IPA
    Odell 90 Schilling
    Lift Bridge ? (Didn't ask)
    Fulton Lonely Blonde
    Lagunitas Pils
    Deschutes Chainbreaker
    Deschutes ?

I also found a list here. Seemed to match up pretty well.

http://crookedpint.com/applevalley/drinks

jera1350 likes this.
  38. morimech

morimech Advocate (710) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

jera1350 likes this.
  39. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (740) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

My brother talked to the owner when he was there and the guy told him that he drives to pick up his own kegs which is how they get stuff like Abrasive, Blakkr and Founders Breakfast Stout.