1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

On tap in the Twin Cities Metro - July Edition

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by mothman, Jul 2, 2013.

1. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Yes, the manager at Stubs (Jon) used to promote the place very well, & it became a gathering point for us geeks when the scene was a lot smaller years ago. There were people who vowed never to go again after Jon was let go, so that's likely part of it. Another bit might be the newer folks don't even realize it's a good beer bar. It would certainly be easy to be fooled, being a U of M bar & all. And the parking does suck; I've been parked-in in that postage-stamp sized lot before.
  2. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

Pretty sure that I met him once, if I am thinking of the right guy. On a slow afternoon, I was in there and a pretty heavily tatted guy was talking to me about the event that he was getting ready for and he bought me a beer and tatter tots (he couldn't believe that I had never had them before). Was he the guy with the sleeve tattoos? Where is he now?
  3. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

He moved on to Goose Island from Stubs & now is the Summit rep. I can't remember the ins-and-outs of his tattoos, but he certainly has plenty. He used to show up at events once in a while, but I haven't seen him in over a year...maybe he's busy working (which would be a shame).
  4. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

30-odd taps simply isn't an adequate number to pass muster, these days.
    garymuchow likes this.
  5. Pretty nice list going at Mackenzie Pub
    http://mackenziepub.com/drink/beer/

Just called and they said it was up to date as of yesterday.
    Don't know if all are still on, but of the 3 that I specifically asked about:

Cacao Bender - on
    Hopothermia - on
    Fresh Squeezed - ran out (went through 5 kegs this week, but will be getting more soon)
  6. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

I love Mackenzies. One of the first craft centered bars I found when I moved here. Haven't been since, maybe, November or December. I love Hercules and want to try some Laughing Panda. Thanks for the heads up.
  7. Fresh squeezed at red cow
  8. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

Stopped by Town Hall Tap yesterday afternoon and as part of a "Winter in July" theme, they have TH Grand Cru and 2012 Elves Elixir. Bigfoot, as well.
  9. Barrel aged silhouette at town hall lanes
    josephwa likes this.
  10. Barrel aged silhouette at town hall lanes
  11. 3 Squares is tapping SeVIIn tomorrow night @ 6:00 pm.

Or if it's going to be like when they tapped Diminished - it'll be 2 hours later.
  12. Grumpys DT had a rare keg of Overated on the trailer at the rock show yesterday.
  13. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Savant (280) Minnesota Jan 30, 2013

RuinTen on tap @ Red Cow. Devil Dancer tapped @ Republic 7C. Town Hall Brewery tapping their White IPA today @ 5 pm.
  14. Sofie Paradisi going on at Red Cow at 5pm on Tues
    StPaulSuds likes this.
  15. congrats on the new little one :) cheers!
    copslovebeer likes this.
  16. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (395) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

How is that beer? Have not had it yet...
  17. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

good
    Hopsiam14 likes this.
  18. Schlais

Schlais Savant (260) Minnesota Sep 28, 2011

It's my b'day today, and wanted to try this one! Is this still on tap?
  19. will1256

will1256 Savant (370) Minnesota Dec 4, 2010

I will up the ante here a bit and go so far as to say that it is very good.
    Hopsiam14 likes this.
  20. drewfull

drewfull Aficionado (190) Minnesota Jul 22, 2013

Muddy Pig had Stone's Ruinten on tap Sunday, delicious double IPA goodness.
  21. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (375) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

I was at Haute Dish on Friday and they had a nice little list of Odell since they have a pairing dinner coming up.

The Tree Shaker was great off the tap, and the Friek was pretty good.

I'd also recommend checking out Buffalo Tap down in Savage NOW, i was delightfully surprised with their tap selection. They do a few special kegs until they run out, then get new ones. Have had some great selections over the last few months. http://www.buffalotap.com/

Last night I had Deschutes Fresh Squeezed, Two Brothers 16th Anny, and was surprised at the North Coast Rasputin Nitro-Tap, it was fan-freaking-tastic.
  22. Djsaturn1

Djsaturn1 Savant (390) Minnesota Dec 12, 2012

Grumpys Roseville has Seviin
  23. Anybody know if this is on anywhere else? Or is going to be on soon? Love Sofie and would love to try this but dont think I am going to make it out to Red Cow.
  24. Ragnarok88

Ragnarok88 Initiate (0) Minnesota May 30, 2013

Not a tap event, but the Ale Jail busted out a serious collection of beers today. They've probably been ransacked already, but I thought it was worth posting.

https://www.facebook.com/thealejail
  25. i saw them post that on twitter and decided it wasn't worth it to try. would have been sweet if you were there and had first go at it, however.
  26. Agreed. It was pretty obvious that everything I really wanted was going to the first 2 people to get there but I still got a BA Bigfoot (which they brought out later) when I arrived at 4:40. The worst is having nothing to do at work and still not being able to leave.

I feel like they should regulate how many cellar release bottles can be purchased in total when its such a thin release. Maybe I'm just jealous though.
  27. ba bigfoot? nice score! i wouldn't be complaining. I still haven't tracked one of them down. cellar releases are pretty cool. just wished i could actually hit more of them up!
  28. Ragnarok88

Ragnarok88 Initiate (0) Minnesota May 30, 2013

Just a thought, but when the August version of this thread is made we should incorporate good finds in stores.
  29. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Savant (420) Minnesota Jun 25, 2013

I do like that idea. Is there any way to get info on when cellar releases might occur? That one really seemed out of the blue. Found out about it like 40 minutes later and nearly everything was gone.
  30. i wouldn't mind if they are super good.... like cellar sales or cantillon. but i like this thread too much to have it clustered with posts such as "I just found ruinten on the shelves at so and so".
  31. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (505) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

morimech likes this.
  32. There will be some more out there soon. We usually post the tappings on the Original Gravity Facebook page or tweet on the Orig_Grav twitter feed. I can throw a comment up on this thread too.
  33. Town Hall posted Mango Mama is on - limited amount - an hour ago
  34. PieOhMy

Any updated word on this? How limited was the supply? In other words; is there any left?
  35. Mplsmetro57

Still on as of 4 pm.
  36. Mplsmetro57

SeVIIn on tap @ Green Mill Uptown. Avery The Czar on @ Butcher and the Boar.
  37. PieOhMy

Town Hall's White IPA is glorious!. Like a wonderful, delicious, love child of Pseudo Sue and Daisy Cutter.
    gatornation, yamar68 and josephwa like this.
  38. plumcrazyfx

plumcrazyfx Savant (420) Minnesota Aug 26, 2010

lift bridge BA silhouette at the TH Lanes, worth the trip, fo sho
  39. Any Black Butte XXV sightings?