1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

On Tap Liquid Beer Enhancer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jason, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Oh for f@#k's sake. Can we ever stop inventing worthless crape and focus our minds on real world problems?

ChiTownPackFan likes this.
  2. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

WTF is "American Ale" flavor? And how is it different from pale ale??

3. basscram

basscram Savant (365) Florida Mar 29, 2006

this is the funniest thing I have ever seen on here!!!! it's almost as if its fake. like the onion!

fredmugs likes this.
  4. VTMoondog

VTMoondog Aficionado (170) Vermont Apr 14, 2013

I for one, am tearing these asswipes a new a-hole on their FB page, and will continue to until FB sends me a legal reason not to.

5. I would tick it...

Hanzo likes this.
  6. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

That font... *shudders*

7. dhannes

dhannes Savant (385) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

I bought a 2-pack to try with NA beers...I'd like to drink more NA beer, but their taste is awful. I will let you know if it works.

tronester likes this.
  8. "Liquid beer" - as opposed to?

cavedave likes this.
  9. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Savant (475) Ohio Feb 2, 2013

wow ive seen it all now

10. I don't quite get the ridicule this product is getting on a site with a forum thread about "French Pressing" and "DFH Randall, Jr'ing" beer being started every few days (currently close to a dozen different threads are up). Add in long running threads about "blending" beer and "Beer Cocktails".

Seems to me this is the inevitable result of a "craft" beer culture that has, in many cases, abandoned "Tradition" while running after so-called "Innovation" that is little more that re-creating the "Malternatives/Flavored Malt Beverages" of the macro-brewing world.

Pumpkin, chocolate, apricot, blueberry, et. al. beers created a batch at a time by dumping fruit extract from 5 gallon PVC buckets isn't all that different from squirting something out of a pocket-sized container one beer at a time. At least this stuff appears to be hop extract instead of something more appropriate for use in a Little Debbie product.

Turns out the ultimate inspiration for the revival of brewing in the US might not have been the great ales and lagers of the UK and Europe - it was Hop'n Gator. :D

11. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

This and the other not quoted parts of your post are certainly on the mark in most ways. I do think it worth noting that some in this thread see this as a great idea, and some in the french press threads saw those as great ideas, but the majority ridiculed them.

It also is worth noting that all beer advances must have been ridiculed when first they came around. Randall the enamel animal was ridiculed, and it wasn't even a new idea, just taking an old idea, hopback, and putting it in a new location. You point out that the same is true for this idea of adding a taste to a beer to make it taste better/different.

That said, I think the main area of ridicule for me is that it purports to spin straw into gold. It doesn't just want to improve flavor, it wants to turn cheaper macro lagers into more expensive tasting craft ales. My own ridicule of this is based on the fact that many craft ale brewers (Indian Wells and Minhas first spring to mind) are unable to do this with good raw ingredients, it seems laughably ludicrous to think one could accomplish it at home with a drop of liquid into a bottle of macro lager.

Spikester likes this.
  12. cavedave

13. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

Anhuseuer Busch tried this years ago. They had a lime, chocolate and strawberry flavor. They were awful

14. I love how they try to justify their product by claiming that one of the main reasons people will try this out is for the flavor/quality it brings to "boring, domestic" beer. Not only are they perpetuating the notion of a uneducated consumer base, but it also reflects pretty poorly on the entire NA brewing scene as a whole. If we have nonsense like this coming out every week, how can we not be judged by other countries as being a flippant and novel society of swill-sipping nitwits.

"4. Quality and Taste. OnTap Beer's liquid flavors are made with the high quality ingredients. Instead of adding these ingredients during the brewing process, they get added by the you just before you drink it and gives you the power to add more or less as you wish. The flavors are developed in partnership with one of the preeminent flavor houses in the US."

They're making a mockery of science, art, history, and tradition of BREWING, honestly I don't see how they don't realize it and don't expect people to lash out at them.

15. BearJosh

BearJosh Initiate (15) California Jun 9, 2013

Dude, I think everything is missing the point. I think they are trying to make a "dehydrated" beer. Just cut some vodka with water and add this and you've got beer. Add a selzer tablet and you have the carbonation. They legally probably can't recommend you cut it with vodka, but I think this is the best use of this product. Imagine backpacking 18 or so beers into the backcountry at a weight savings of 75% or more. I know when I'm up in high country after a long day of hiking all I want is a good beer.

16. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

the ridicule comes from 1) the idea that you can turn bud light into an IPA by spritzing some syrup into it, 2) the fact that the creators of the product give no indication as to what the product is.

if i'm buying a $100 beer from belgium and infusing it with twice that much $'s worth of saffron and black truffle, i may be being silly, but at least there's transparency.

17. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I wish Billy Mays was around, he'd sell it to all you haters.

frazbri, fredmugs, tcanaday and 5 others like this.
  18. 3frog

3frog Aficionado (245) Arizona May 13, 2006

And he'd make you pay separate postage & handling for 2 of 'em...

19. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Boom - purchased. Fuck all you guys.

[​IMG]

Jfriz25, spartanfan, willbm3 and 3 others like this.
  20. I want something to make my coffee taste like a stout!

21. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I saw this at the store today and almost bought it just to see what it was...and what it would do to things like soda, water, coffee, etc.

22. Brewbound has an article up, with quotes/background from the founder of the company.

Liquid Enhancement Now On Tap

A little - very little - more info on ingredients - "water, propylene glycol, and natural and artificial flavors" (Oh, thanks for that :rolleyes:) and future new flavors - "shandy, stout and cider."

This quote kinda sums it up:
    You don’t have to drink what some brewmaster has decided what beer should taste like.”

Pahn, spartanfan and Jaycase like this.
  23. cavedave

The best beer quote I ever have read. If 15 beer-related words could explain, in a general way, something about America better than that, I have yet to read them.

tarawho, Pahn, Ericness and 1 other person like this.
  24. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

You mean he'd chase his highball with it.

Hanzo likes this.
  25. Gunch43

Gunch43 Savant (285) Pennsylvania Jan 15, 2010

The product is obviously not for people on this website. I don't know that the makers deserve grief from a product they developed NOT aimed at us. As faras assclowns, I give props to anyone who invents something regardless of how stupid I may feel the product is. Who knows? Maybe some macro drinker throws same pale ale juice in his Bud, thinks, "Hey! Not bad!" And after a few months decides to try the real thing and turns into a great BA. You have to start somewhere. I'm not above admitting that at one point in my life, college, my beer drinking revolved around natty light, milwaukee's best, and when I REALLY wanted to give myself a treat, I splurged for a Molson Golden.

Mcal likes this.
  26. Huh. Why not enhance the experience by buying something good in the first place.

27. RandomBattle

RandomBattle Savant (265) New York Jun 25, 2010

I agree. I think I'll pick some of this up and sneak it into my dads Coors Light...there might still be hope for him...

28. According to the article they link to themselves, it's flavored propylene glycol. I see a world of difference between that and a Randall-enabled late addition of flavors from real ingredients. Or plenty of other weird brewing innovations for that matter, say... deliberately letting wild yeasts infect your beer.

Have you ever had an IPA Randall'd through fresh hops? It's very good.

29. Me too, only I used to call it Molson Golson!

30. VTMoondog

Yeah...back in the early 80s, the treat beer was Molson Golden, or if we took a trip across the border..Brador!

31. mverity

mverity Savant (440) Florida Oct 6, 2012

At nearly every bar I've ever ever EVER gone to a BMC light has been the exact same price as a SNPA or the like; the exception is college bars. Pitcher of Natty/BL/PBR for $4? Okay, maybe I'll try this beer Mio! Or I'll just heat up an iron and cauterize my tongue... ya know, whichever I get around to first...

stakem likes this.
  32. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

*facepalm* Is this a Colorado product? The closest liquor store they list is less than 10 minutes away from me....but I don't have any macro beer in my fridge.

33. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Well I just bought some

leedorham likes this.
  34. Yeah, can't help but think that this product would get more respect if it had IPA with the darling hop of the day flavors. Now that's something I would check out - because not just macro lagers needs a little juicing...

35. Verdict? Or did you buy it online?
    I thought at least someone here picked it up in the store.

36. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Ordered it online. It already shipped so I'm hoping it arrives by the weekend. Got one of each "flavor" for ~$12 including shipping. I'll try to report back when it comes

Pahn likes this.
  37. VTMoondog

We will all be interested in your report. Use a bland beer like Bud. Try both, and at different concentrations.
    I'd love to hear how it works with (as another poster suggested) water/vodka mix...instant beer?

38. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Received my samples and it is what I expected ... love that they had to put "contains 0% juice" on their labels. Propylene glycol YUM!!!

"American Ale" ingredients:

[​IMG]

"Pale Ale" Ingredients are even worse ... why would I want to put this in my drink? Skittle's piss for coloring? Taste the rainbow!!

[​IMG]

39. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Choice of beer next week Budweiser Select 55 (worst beer on BA) if I can find some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.