1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

On Tap Liquid Beer Enhancer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jason, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

This thread is gonna be amazing once people actually start trying this stuff. Myself? I'll take y'all's word for it, and not bother trying it, as I am completely uninterested after seeing the ingredient lists. Should be pretty EPIC though.
    StuartCarter and ABisonEgo like this.
  2. Have you mixed it with a Bud or Coors yet? We need input for science!
    rather likes this.
  3. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Too funny, I pass "On Tap Beer LLC" on my way to work every day. No wonder I started seeing that stuff around here so quickly.
  4. rather

rather Savant (280) California May 31, 2013

it says "drink responsibly" but does it even contain alcohol? what if I just mix a whole bottle with bubbly water?
  5. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

my initial thoughts are not good
  6. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

I'd say fruit lambics are part and parcel of a pretty long and honored brewing tradition. The issue isn't so much mixing fruit and beer in general, but whether that mixing is actually part of the production/fermentation of the beer or added on after the fact.
  7. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Mine was shipped on Monday, haven't received it yet. Just realized I have no crap beers around to try it on. Not really interested in buying a 6er of crap beer either. Suggestions? I can probably find a place that does singles nearby. Bud light? Miller? Coors? Malt liquor (awwwww yeah)?

Dope
  8. blacktieman

blacktieman Disciple (50) Tennessee Aug 27, 2012

I had a similar idea last year after visiting relatives who stock Bud Light, and experimented with adding malt extract to macro beer. It was more interesting than macro beer, but it wasn't good beer.
    VTMoondog likes this.
  9. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Savant (415) Indiana Feb 21, 2013

10. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

That's just the thing. I think it's crazy to assume it would be "good" beer, but "more interesting" could work. Since light AAL is flavorless, as long as it adds some flavor it could be pretty decent. I doubt it's something I would ever regularly purchase but I'm looking forward to trying it. I highly doubt it could make BMC worse, so I doubt it would be a total waste of money

11. Not sure about "flavorless" last time I had a Bud it tasted like metal, skunked fermentation, and pain. Totally ruined my night of drinking.
  12. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

With Propolyne Glycol, this could be excellent for cracked feet or a halloween fog machine in a pinch.

Those ingredients actually make it look remarkably similar to many cheap extracts (Vanilla, Coconut, etc) that are used in baking.
    Smitty1988 and regularjohn like this.
  13. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

was that the original music?
  14. Does the music make you thirsty!?!;)

Cheers!
  15. Jason

Jason Founder (1,320) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Why not, it should be called out for the sham that it is ... still have not tried it yet. Might have to wait until next week with SAVOR this weekend.
  16. I bet this product was made by people that couldn't figure out how to brew beer so they made a product to make bad beer taste like bad beer
  17. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

dont wait too long on the pale ale... you dont want the hops to fade :/
  18. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

Head brewer of Portsmouth Brewery gives it a shot.
    Jaycase and dc55110 like this.
  19. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

No, but it will turn domestic BMC offerings into full fledged imports!!
  20. abkayak

abkayak Savant (330) New York Jan 8, 2013

maybe this has angered the beer Gods and Colorado is now suffering their wrath………coincidence??
  21. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Personally, I'm catching a wicked flashback* to these:
    [​IMG]

(*Unless "Spykes" were just a bad dream I had six years ago? o_O)
  22. What was the stuff that came in little test tubes? I remember someone saying those things were the final nail in the coffin of the returnable/refillable bottles, since they played havoc with the bottle washing and filling machines (people deposited the empties inside the empty beer bottles).

What was the AB product "Peels"? (Which I always thought Pabst should sue over, since they owned the "Piels" trademark.

Wait, there's an app that gives you jpegs of images from dreams? I gotta get hip to this 21st century technology - I quite learning new stuff in 2000.;)
  23. nikalus31

nikalus31 Aficionado (125) Alaska May 23, 2011

From http://www.cnbc.com/id/100814098

"We hope to reach 1 percent of the market that's buying the 100 million barrels of domestic beer every year," Swan said. "If we can reach 1 percent, it will put us somewhere in the $35 million to $40 million range."

That about sums it up for me. Let the adjunct beer drinkers put some more junk in their beer, and let this company feed off of ABMC customers.
  24. JoshTahan

JoshTahan Aspirant (30) Florida Mar 12, 2013

Jaycase and JackHorzempa like this.
  25. I'm very curious to add Mio to a Hefe next time I'm at a bbq with no good beer. (as if that will ever happen..) :eek:
  26. Philly82785

Philly82785 Savant (265) Minnesota Dec 17, 2008

Craft beer is not economical, however it is an art form and buying crap like this at $4.99 it just pushing more swill that a large part of the population consumes. If you have an issue paying the money for craft beer why bother with this crap. As far as I am concerned if you polish a turd its still a turd. So I personally refuse to buy such products that take away from the industry and creativity. I am happy to drop anywhere from $20-$100 on beer per month on beer. I don't know if you could pay me enough to buy and use this product.
  27. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

So I bought this stuff purely for the sake of trying it. Well, I finally tried it the other night in a Coors Light. In a word, abysmal. The Pale Ale was gross but tolerable, the American Ale was undrinkable.
    JackHorzempa likes this.
  28. dhannes

dhannes Savant (360) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

I got my 2-pack of On-Tap flavor enhancers last week, and tried the "American Ale" flavoring in a targeted beer, Old Milwaukee N.A. I will try mixing again, as I added it to the top, and did not get a great mixture.

Test #2: The "Pale Ale" with a AAL clone--Perla Mocna, a Polish Malt Liquor that is comparable to American Malt Liquors...here goes:

A=A 1-second squirt of about 1 teaspoon resulted in a richer, darker golden color...appearance increases from 4.25 to 4.50.

S=Strong presence of molasses now...kind of a faux sweetness as well. Smell drops from 3.5 to 2.5.

T=The sweetness of the malt liquor is still there, but the "enhancer" is very present--comparable to the American Ale enhancer, the taste of fresh, baked pretzels surfaces, although less with the Pale Ale than the American Ale. I decided to add another 1-2 oz. of malt liquor to the see if the flavor would be less predominant...the flavoring did decrease, but to the point where the flavoring was nearly absent. In other words, the proper ratio is critical. Still a 3.25, but, perhaps, a bit better than before.

M=When mixed properly, there is no change in mouthfeel.

O=Honestly, it did make this beer/malt liquor a bit more palatable...but not nearly equal to a good craft beer. I will continue to try in other beers (I'll only post if I have an incredible experience one way or the other).

Recommendation: Currently, if you are in Colorado, and prefer lower-calorie beers but don't particularly like their taste, it would be worthwhile for you to try the Pale Ale...I cannot recommend the American Ale yet, as I found it too much like pretzels.
  29. i hate to admit this, i will try it....... i also bought this product that is supposed to make my hand feel like.........
  30. I want one.
    MarcusHalberstram likes this.
  31. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

The idea of this gave me a brain tumor
    Cenosillicaphobe and frazbri like this.
  32. Moyman

Moyman Aficionado (185) New York Jun 14, 2013

I've got my liquid enhancer cocked and loaded!!!
  33. This sounds like the perfect combination of disgusting, terrible, and stupid.
    nickfl likes this.
  34. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Savant (390) California Mar 20, 2011

Mix it with a 40 of Mickeys. How wrong could it possibly go... :rolleyes:
  35. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I might try this when the only beer left to drink on the planet is Bud Light, and I am thirstier than I have ever been. On second thought, naahhhhh.
  36. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (320) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

What does it taste like when poured into Vodka?
  37. my beer blows so I need to put this shit in it as opposed to drinking something that tastes good. At least the guys that work for Bud and Coors get to take a small step forward.
  38. I'm not sure those guys like being in the courtroom. Just sayin
  39. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (595) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

That's already available and known as bourbon.
    Pahn and joelwlcx like this.

40. Candid reviews.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.