1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Once again, Walgreens rocks!

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by jmk, Jan 11, 2013.

1. jmk

jmk Aficionado (155) Illinois May 8, 2008

2. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

3. Jaycase

Jaycase Advocate (730) Illinois Jan 13, 2007

Waiting for a prescription doesn't seem so bad all of a sudden.
  4. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

they misspelled walegreens
    C2H5, gpawned, Tnudish and 5 others like this.
  5. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Have people in Chicago never had a Deschutes beer before? They are a great brewery, but this every day line up is no stronger than Founders, Bell's, Revolution...
  6. Their distro doesn't cross the Mississippi.
  7. MarcatGSB

So people in Chicago don't travel?
    aasher likes this.
  8. moefriedman

moefriedman Savant (260) Illinois Feb 15, 2012

But it's exciting and new!! Come aboard, we're expecting you.....
    JKIRBY, mecummins and stevegoz like this.
  9. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

quite the generalization there marcat, for no apparent reason other than to argue

new glarus is right across state lines, while ive had it before during ski trips, i would still be quite excited if it became distro'd in chicago. people are excited
  10. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

The comments were more geared toward the fact that there will be a tasting at WALGREENS!!!!!

I haven't been too impressed with their regular lineup, or at least it isn't anything better than we already have locally. But the fact that I can walk to a beer tasting at WALGREENS is awesome.
    jmk likes this.
  11. MarcatGSB

Well that's exactly my point. I'm not gonna go lurk around a pharmacy in the peak of flu season to drink Black Butte... Great Beer, but I don't want it that bad.
  12. moefriedman

moefriedman Savant (260) Illinois Feb 15, 2012

I for one think a tasting at Walgreens is a great idea. Some people on this forum should pick up a home enema kit while they are at it.
    :)
    smutty33 and JmH like this.
  13. MarcatGSB

I'm just jealous, I don't have a Walgreens within 130 miles and Deschutes within 500.
    moefriedman likes this.
  14. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

We do, but strictly to ruin beer events in neighboring states.
  15. jmk

jmk Aficionado (155) Illinois May 8, 2008

Mjmoser gets it. My original intent was to draw attention to the beautiful irony this conveys and the incredible explosion of craft beer. As a BA in an older demographic than many on here, I remember it was much more difficult 15-20 years ago to find good craft beer. Now we can get good quality craft, and some wales, at Walgreens. Also, a few years ago Walgreens banished all alcohol from their stores because they felt it was contrary to their image as a healthcare store. They have now brought it back and really stepped up their game. It's a great time to be a beer drinker!
    JimDH and Vav like this.
  16. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Anybody want to try my beer?

Hold onto that while I run and grab some Herpacin.
    MarcatGSB likes this.
  17. Durb777

Durb777 Savant (415) Illinois Nov 30, 2011

Yes it does Wisconsin has had them for a while if I'm not mistaken.
  18. thetomG

thetomG Savant (430) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

WALEgreens RULES.
    Mjmoser likes this.
  19. SeekABrew shows MN and MO as the eastern-most extent of their distro, but I don't live there to say from experience. It definitely doesn't make it to the east coast, which always sort of surprised me because they're enormous. Them and Bell's are the two biggest I can't get easily.

Then again, New Glarus is also apparently quite large and doesn't get out of WI, so it's all about density I guess.
  20. Monsone

Monsone Savant (350) Illinois Jun 5, 2006

No Deschutes in Wisco.
  21. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I wish that my local Walgreens did tastings. Or had craft beers at all. They are, lets just call them less than ideal. I am impressed that the Jewel & Mariano grocery stores are carrying a decent selection of local craft beers. They've stepped up their game in the last few months. It's nice to be able to buy groceries and the beer I like in one place.
    Kubrickx likes this.
  22. But chicagolanders gintering knows no bounds.