1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

One Brewery For Life

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheChiefBrews, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

cambridge brewing company

or

new england brewing company

---

runners up:

hill farmstead
    stone
    sierra nevada
    lawson's
    founders

Guzzle_McBrew likes this.
  2. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

Wow, it took 40 minutes and 23 replys before Hill Farmstead got a mention? They were easily the first brewery to come to mind when I saw this thread. In previous versions of this thread, I always went with the likes of Sierra Nevada or Smuttynose but 2012 was good to me and I was able to get over to VT quite a bit (even still, I'm relatively local being only 70 miles away in NH).

Heck, I don't even need HFs full line up, just three of their regulars... Abner to cover my hop need, Everett to cover the dark side of the spectrum, and Anna for my saison/Belgian needs. More often than not my cravings fit either into the hoppy, roasty, or funky (very loose definition here) category. All others would just be a bonus.

Rochefort10nh likes this.
  3. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

Based on what I have personally drank, probably Founders or Russian River. As mentioned, the stouts are really killing RR here.

Based on hype and the exceptional reviews, I'd consider blindly selecting HF though...

kojevergas likes this.
  4. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

Any person with any forethought knows it is Russian River.....solid, consistent sour beers, some of the best IPAs, and Younger. Game over

5. LuckyJohn

LuckyJohn Advocate (505) Colorado Feb 6, 2013

Founders. Or Odells. Or Deschutes. O.K., I'm having a hard time with this one brewery concept.

6. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (320) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

Pipeworks.... local , fresh and every style of beer comes out of this brewery and they are all great guys!

7. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

stone. A year ago I wouldn't have said that, but Enjoy By and Ruination 10 changed that.

8. haters gonna hate!

9. wibeerman

wibeerman Zealot (75) Wisconsin Aug 2, 2012

Founders as long as I get access to their full lineup.

10. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Hill Farm for sho

11. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Hill Farmstead...

12. Seriously? None of you would choose your own kitchen or brew room? That's a shame.

BigCheese and Dan114 like this.
  13. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (330) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

I'd pick Founders as well.

14. TheBoog013

TheBoog013 Savant (350) California Feb 24, 2011

Port Brewing/Lost Abbey, two for one because of sharing brewery and between the two I'll get a world class example of every style that I care about. I win.

15. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Mikkeller. Is that cheating?

16. abkayak

abkayak Savant (335) New York Jan 8, 2013

would i be very wrong if i said Weyerbacher??... if so change this to Founders or Victory....for now.

leantom likes this.
  17. bpfrush

bpfrush Advocate (570) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Hill Farmstead for me as well. Toppling Goliath is getting pretty close though.

18. This is easy
    Voodoo Brewery

19. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

20. I'm going to have to go with Stone......
    Enjoy by
    Stone imperial
    Double bastard
    Old Guardian

I could drink those for ever!

21. mweso2000

mweso2000 Savant (325) Georgia Apr 10, 2010

I would have to go with Lagunitas. Every beer is just solid. Founders (their stouts are better than Lagunitas). is a close second but Lagunitas wins because of beers such as Brown Sugga, Sucks and lucky 13. Cappuccino Stout is good enough for me to get by.

22. Sierra Nevada. SNPA + Celebration + Bigfoot + Narwhal could keep me content for the most part - although I would miss my Belgian ale fix.

23. Rizalini

Rizalini Savant (345) Nevada Jan 20, 2011

Firestone

24. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

Goose Island.

Everything they do is stellar, especially those magnificent, imperial stouts.

kojevergas likes this.
  25. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I live in Wisconsin but I would have to go with CCB. I haven't had a single pint from them I didn't like- and I've had 8 different pints in their tasting room at one time. They have a wide variety of great beers, and a fantastic go-to IPA that comes in CANS. Then there's Marshall Zhukov, Big Sound, etc. all sorts of goodness.

Runners-up:
    Founders (porter, FBS, FIS, KBS, etc. satisfy my dark cravings but not as much a fan of their other offerings)
    FFF (ZD and Alpha King are excellent and they do have a whole bunch of different styles, not all float my boat though)
    New Glarus (Lots of very good/not great offerings, with the Thumbprint to mix things up. But I'll happily drink their stuff every day for the rest of my life if I had to)

Can't comment on Russian River, Hill Farmstead and other hyped breweries since I haven't had enough of their beers.

Also, maybe in 10-15 years, we'll all be saying AB InBev if they buy up some more successful craft breweries to go along with Goose Island.

26. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I'm going to go with Avery's. They have pretty solid beers and a wide variety. Or O'Dell. I love their IPA and Myrcenary (DIPA). I love IPAs and stouts, but I'd rather have an awesome IPA and a decent stout than the other way around.

That said, I haven't tried many of the hyped up breweries (Hills Farmstead or Founders, for example), so I'm not making a very educated decision.

27. Brouijweri Van Steenberge or FatHeads. Don't make me choose.

28. beerindex

beerindex Savant (295) Missouri Jun 18, 2007

Well, assuming that your premise means that Cascade Barrel Room gets moved to St Louis, so I can try their large range of unbottled stuff, Cascade.

kojevergas likes this.
  29. It sounds like there are only like 6 breweries in the country! I'd pick People's Pint in Greenfield, MA

30. founders !

kojevergas likes this.
  31. M1A2

M1A2 Savant (425) Ohio Jan 15, 2012

IMO i would say FFF.

32. cobrakai44

cobrakai44 Disciple (50) Illinois Oct 31, 2009

I would have to agree with those that said Three Floyds, as I'm a big fan of their variety and liberal use of citra hops.

33. Deschutes all the way.

LuckyJohn and kojevergas like this.
  34. DJ-22

DJ-22 Aficionado (105) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

Three Floyds

35. Scrolled through 3 pages and not one other person chose Alpine. More for us!!!

kojevergas likes this.
  36. I can't believe it took so long for someone to stand up for Wisconsin! Tyranena would be my choice (great variety of solid beers!) with New Glarus close behind.

Ale Asylum is also a great Madtown brewery!

37. Deschutes. I love all their special releases (abyss, the dissident, etc) or maybe Hair of the Dog.

LuckyJohn and kojevergas like this.
  38. Eduk8traz

Eduk8traz Aficionado (185) Arizona Nov 13, 2010

I love Firestone Walker but It would have to be Stone.

39. lic217

lic217 Savant (435) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

1) Founders

Close:
    Lagunitas
    Sierra Nevada
    Stone
    Smuttynose

Falcone likes this.
  40. eajb24

eajb24 Aficionado (155) Connecticut May 26, 2005

I would strongly agree with that