1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

One for the Noobs: Hints and Hauls

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Ohsaycanyoubeer, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Alright, targets went out to everyone this evening. Please let me know if you have any concerns and remember the underlying principle of BIFs is to hook up your target. Beer Karma does come around!

Boxes must be shipped by Feb 26th. That gives everyone 3+ weeks to put together an awesome package. If you have questions about packing, what to send, or anything... please feel free to message me.

2. just a reminder. Please update your WANTS, its makes it easier for shippers to tell what kind of stuff you like and might help you gets some stuff your looking for.

3. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

Heh, as one of the west coasters, I'm going to start with a throw away hint.

My target lives east of me.

4. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

Also, if you're a bit intimidated when it comes to filling out your wants, at the very least list the styles of beer you like and don't like on your profile. It's horrible to receive a box full of IPA's that you don't like when your shipper could have sent a bunch of stouts, which you do.

5. boogercrack

boogercrack Savant (340) Texas May 24, 2012

also, UPDATE your wants too.

it's confusing to see a bunch of wants for you target that seekabrew is saying are in their distro.

however, with several states, some parts of the state may get that brewery, some parts may not. some lower bottle count beers may not even make it to specific locations. it can be a legit thing.

just no one wants to see a box show up of things that they could get at the store ;).

6. Zapy

Zapy Aficionado (135) Indiana Feb 8, 2012

Well in the spirit of getting hints going, I have a few to get out of the way.

Apparently my target likes beer

My target lives in the western hemisphere

And the saddest of them all, I am not my target…

Starting to brainstorm the box and I think it’s going to hit more than a few wants. Really looking forward to this one.

7. Working on a local box, of which i dont think my target has had, spring house, duclaw, Troegs, and maybe pizza boy.

Its going to someone south of me
    Cheers

8. I will work on wants,

But love BA stouts, sours, dont like a lot of smoke, DIPA;s are good as well, I am also a Bruery reserve society member so you can save those for other people or friends

Stickers would be cool

Cigar City would be great if someone is south
    Cheers

9. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Hint: look at wants, fill a few wants, and have fun dropping in things not available in receiver's state.
    Since I live in Canadia (ship to and from MI), almost everyone on this BIF is south of me. ;)

10. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

My target is south of me...and needs to update his wants/list some likes & dislikes!

11. wyatt13

wyatt13 Savant (475) Illinois Feb 13, 2011

I have only visited my target's state once, and it was when I was touring college campuses about 5 years ago. Hope he updates his wants as well ... want to be able to include some stuff he hasn't had before & would like to try!

12. ok guys here are a few hints,
    my target is north of me and seems to enjoy a variety of beer. i'll work on wants and a great southern style box. my favorites are barrel aged stouts and imperial stouts. i don't care too much for sours/wilds/saisons, hope this helps.

13. My target is west, kind of narrows it down I'm sure.

Just reupdated my wants. Love everything barrel aged and/or big, sours as well. Oh, and I have a LOT of glassware. ;)

14. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

For me, I recommend looking at my wants but I also like big RIS's, and/or barrel aged varieties of those.

I like swag. Nice fitting, simple shirts and/or glassware preferably snifters or tulips (no pints, please). :)

15. boogercrack

boogercrack Savant (340) Texas May 24, 2012

this is my favorite part of bifs

research

my prefered styles are english barleywines, big stouts, anything in a barrel, sours, funk, and the occasional ipa.

i really do not care for smoked things, brown/amber ales, or belgian ipas/pales.

prefer tulip or snifters for glassware, but enjoy them all.

16. Zapy

Zapy Aficionado (135) Indiana Feb 8, 2012

It's always fun to see what people are looking for. I tend to favor the wild, saison, funky spectrum of beers, but I'm game with just about anything. Not a big fan of lagers (yeast cleanliness is so passee IMO) but I'd be willing to try a good specimen of one. The one thing that I've yet to be able to appreciate is smoked stuff, can't quite see the light there.

Stemware is awesome, huge fan of the stuff.

Now for the hint: My target has not posted yet (sorry active people, you're out)

17. My target is well west of me---if my box could fly like a crow (a rather large, heavy brown crow with no wings), it would cross through parts of 6 states after leaving PA to before getting to my targets home state.

Hopefully somebody's wants are up to date, cause I can fill in some blanks if they are.

18. Squidly

Squidly Savant (435) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

My target is in a state that has more than one NFL football team.

19. i'll be shipping west.

20. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (490) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

Ill be shipping west, to a state I've visited twice before. And hopefully his wants are up to date because I should be able to hit a ton of them with a box of delicious midwestern goodness. As for me- I have been working on my wants since I saw this BIF, so it's up to date. Love Impy Stouts, Porters and IPA's.

21. sad I didnt get my paycheck in time to join in the fun I would have blown up someones porch with chicagoland (and some MN) goodies

22. chriltz

chriltz Aficionado (185) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

I'll be shipping east, and I can already hit a few of my targets wants without leaving the house.

As for myself, i am a fan of beer. Really, any beer...i tend to drink more IPAs and stouts than anything else, but i am open to drinking anything. I also like bottle openers.

23. Haywire

Haywire Savant (420) New Jersey Sep 25, 2012

As for likes: huge fan of barrel-aged stuff and stouts. Started getting into tripels and quads too. As far as dislikes, I'm still not a big fan of overly hoppy stuff.

As for a hint, I'll be shipping to the a place that is west of me but still falls within my timezone.

24. Haven't received my target yet, but I suppose I can drop some hints for myself.

I love stouts! My wife has recently started enjoying beer, and her favorites are anything barrel aged (as are mine of course). This has severeley limited my supply. Otherwise, I'm just looking to see what other areas of the country have to offer. My wants are up to date and I've got a list of style preferences in my profile. I've got a problem with glassware, can't get enough! Anything but standard shaker pints are right up my alley.

Looking forward to cracking some foundations with some killer NC brews!

25. radio2525

radio2525 Savant (255) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

I am shipping south.

As for me i like anything that was in a barrel. I don't have any dislike just send me so good beer and i am happy.

26. SBALDWIN

SBALDWIN Savant (255) Pennsylvania Feb 27, 2005

I'm shipping to the west of me in a nice area of the US. I've also visited this state before.

27. RustyP

RustyP Savant (340) Texas Dec 22, 2008

Vague hint #1: I'm shipping east to a state that is smaller than my own :D

28. New England?

29. My target has a mailing address that is east of me.
    A box that will be landing may have inappropriate relations with his porch.

30. Mcooly

Mcooly Savant (275) New Jersey Feb 19, 2011

My target is Southwest of me... I have two of their wants in my home right now and will definitely be able to pick up more. As for me I love IPA's, Stouts, and Barrel aged beers. Im also willing to try anything else that my sender recommends.

31. I have... almost everything ready for my target... they are getting:

Three 750ml bottles from a brewery an hour to my Southwest
    Three 12oz cans from a brewery an hour to my Southwest
    Three 12oz bottles from a brewery in a state that looks like a glove.

That makes it a full 147oz of goodness

32. beernads

beernads Advocate (520) Florida May 4, 2012

My target is North and to the West of me...and has already posted a hint. I already have a couple of their wants in my cellar and a couple they didn't know they wanted yet.

33. hokiechef

hokiechef Aficionado (150) Virginia Feb 23, 2009

My target lives West and North of me, and has lots of great beer on his wants list.

34. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

My targets state is north of me, 3 wants are covered, additional containers of joy are included.

I like Barleywines, IS/RIS Stout.s , Hefeweisens , Saisons , Belgians and IPA's,not much appreciation for sour's yet sadly.

35. StoutSeth

StoutSeth Savant (285) Virginia Sep 24, 2010

I drove right past my target's town on my cross country trip last summer.

36. Hint #1: I will be shipping west to my target. So anyone in New England can cross me off their list.

To my sender, I love big stouts, scotch ales/wee heavys, barleywines, sours, funky saisons, and anything barrel-aged is much appreciated, though I'm really up for trying anything new. I definitely have a lot of whale wants that I'm not expecting to see (although if you want to send me a Bourbon Vanilla Dark Lord I'm cool with it.) Basically I'll just be happy to get a good box of beer.

37. beernads

beernads Advocate (520) Florida May 4, 2012

Hint #3: My target did not send a shirt size to Ohsaycanyoubeer when they submitted their entry BM.

My target will receiving most of his beers from a brewery that is 30.8 miles from my house. They have 2 of their beers as a want. The other brewery that he will be receiving beer from just celebrated their 1 year anniversary on Jan 5 and released 4 BA bottles for their 1st Revolution Party that weekend.

38. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (490) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

Hint #2: With the Super Bowl this weekend, my target loves in a state where one of the top 10 players from the game went to college.

I could send out a box today filled with at least 5 wants, but I wanna try and get at least one more, and I'm also looking for a beer that should be on his wants list, as it looks like he loves the style.

39. Squidly

Squidly Savant (435) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

Hint #2: I will be shipping to a state whose spelling includes at least one letter "a".

40. Hint #2--I'm shipping to a state that does not have an NFL team