1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

One of my good friends just moved from Houston to Denver, what should I ask him to send me first?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by BruceBruce, Jan 27, 2013.

1. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

2. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Odell...Myrcenary, IPA, Mountain Standard, could be some Isolation still lying around. Basically all their stuff is solid to great....

3. BruceBruce

yeah I still don't know what all of the distro differences are there, he was at Great Devide today but we get everything here I am pretty sure

4. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Crooked Stave. Odell. Funkwerks. Elysian. Upslope. Russian River. Bruery. And on and on

5. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Avery has a lot of special offerings, brewery only releases. Texas has gotten a few of the Barrel Aged Series, but the majority of them are brewery only I believe. They are almost always excellent. Anything from Crooked Stave if you like sour and funky stuff.

6. BruceBruce

Yeah, just wondering what bottles sit on shelves there that we don't get often.

7. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Try for any of the Avery sours - Odio Equum, Oud Floris. They dont make it to TX

jbeezification and champ103 like this.
  8. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Beat me to Avery but I'm sure those go faster than a Saint Arnold DR release, if that is possible. :D

In for shipments of Crooked Stave and Odell.

Azzy likes this.
  9. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

What kmello69 says. I am sure there are some Russian River stuff sitting on the shelves, though I did here they are cutting back a lot on distro.

10. lokieman

I had a friend in Colorado who I asked to pick me up some RR stuff while he was there but nobody had anything in stock. He was told that some stuff gets there but their orders get shorted A LOT. One "beer guy" told him that only a few kegs of Pliny make it to the state a year and virtually no bottles. I'm not sure about the legitimacy of what he was told but I do know that I didn't get any RR...

11. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Seekabrew.com Russian River and the Avery limited releases are your best bet.

12. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Crooked Stave
    Odell
    Crooked Stave
    Crooked Stave
    Avery sours
    Crooked Stave.

13. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Oh yeah, Crooked Stave

14. MattCinatl

MattCinatl Aficionado (145) Texas Aug 30, 2009

15. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Not till Jan 1st, 2014, unfortunately. At least without a prescription.

16. kunstdrache

kunstdrache Savant (255) Texas Sep 22, 2006

Your best bet is Crooked Stave- it helps that their cellar house is right in Denver. Also, AC Golden's Super Secret Sours would be a great find as well.

17. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

18. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

Join the CS Reserve Society next year. Amazing beer, and if you silly enough wanting to trade some of it, you could land probably anything you want.

BruceBruce likes this.
  19. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

My friend travels there for business a few times a year and has always found Pliny on tap. I don't think "only a few kegs" make it.

20. lokieman

Like I said..."I'm not sure about the legitimacy of what he was told". It could have been that my friend is just lazy and didn't try very hard...

21. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

He drinks as many as he can and always tells me how much better it is on tap. lol

22. kunstdrache

I don't think the supply of Pliny is a issue from what I hear and see (I usually am able to buy a bottle easily when I'm there visiting). It's the -tion bottles that you'll have a harder time with, most of my friends haven't seen these in CO for a year or so.

23. lokieman

This was 2 plus years ago when I was told this too...not sure if distro has changed since then.

24. kunstdrache

I know RR is going through some distro changes, they're actually pulling out of WA (and maybe OR?) to focus on their home market so it really isn't too surprising that we've been seeing a decline in the availability of most RR beers in other states.

25. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (315) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

I moved to Denver from Houston about 1 1/2 yrs ago so I'll help you out. Pliny bottles hit stores one a month and sale out in a day. The sours are always around if you look. Crooked Stave makes great sours and Saisons and are easy to find. Avery BA stuff is mostly brewery only but don't know when the next one will be out. Odell's is everywhere. You get most of the great divide stuff except for their BA series. Ba old ruffian is around and maybe Ba hibernation. AC golden has Ba Impy stout out that is fantastic. River North has a couple BA out that are great also and he can buy em at the brewery. Dry Dock makes some of the best IPAs in the world, they are everywhere in cans and bombers. Most locals drink dry dock instead of Pliny.

champ103 likes this.
  26. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (335) Texas Oct 21, 2008

Dry Dock's IIPA
    Dry Dock's Bligh's Barleywine
    Everything I had from Upslope was enjoyable.