1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

One readily available beer in Denver

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by EDNOSE, Dec 1, 2012.

1. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Savant (255) Connecticut Oct 27, 2007

My sister used to live in Denver / Boulder and is kind enough to stow a few beers for me whenever she comes back from visiting friends. Generally, it have her bring back Odell's IPA and Ranger or a New Belgium seasonal. What one beer should I be pointing her towards that is easily available in the Denver area.

We get Boulder, Avery, Breckenridge and OB beers back here in NY/CT area so no need to mention those. We used to get Great Divide so I'd ignore those too.

2. Coors Light, very easily available in the Denver area.
    In all seriousness, try Odell's Myrcenary if you havent

3. Kuester

Kuester Aficionado (165) Colorado May 14, 2012

Modus Hoperandi from Ska maybe. Delicious stuff, I also like Dank IPA from Dad and Dudes. There's plenty of other styles here too

4. EDNOSE

I almost joked about Coors Light in my original post! Mercenary is on the list. That just in 22's?

5. Kuester

Kuester Aficionado (165) Colorado May 14, 2012

Myrcenary comes in 12oz 4-Packs. My favorite CO IPA for sure.

Definetely have her look for Dry Dock's Double IPA, that one is in 22 oz. only, and absolutely fantastic. I can't leave that one out of my recommendations anymore, it's way too good!

gklover1 likes this.
  6. alexipa

alexipa Savant (420) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Just a few more ideas, though I second everything else said so far:
    Anything from Funkwerks is worth picking up at $10/750ml. Anything from Ska is worth a try (mixed 12 pack of cans is excellent). Prost growlers can be found at most liquor stores around, and they are all excellent. New Belgium Snow Day is a winner in my book as well.

7. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Well, you have been on the right track with choosing Odell's IPA in the past. If I was only allowed one Colorado beer that's the one I would choose as well.

I'd probably have to make it a rumble between the Dry Dock's IIPA suggestion and Funkwerks suggestion, winner be the style you are most in the mood for. If you like sweeter stouts, Left Hand's Milk Stout is always a great choice.

hopfacebrew likes this.
  8. EDNOSE

Thanks for the feedback guys ... she brought me a nice haul based on some of these suggestions. Bomber of Ranger, Bomber of Dry Dock IIPA, 4 pack of Myrcenary, 4 cans of Dank IPA and 4 bottles of O'Dell's IPA ...

A good effort, I thought.

denver10 likes this.
  9. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Yeah, Odell IPA might be the best non-rare beer from Colorado. Modus Hopperandi and Dry Dock Double IPA are up there, too. For that matter, all of Dry Dock's beers are pretty stellar. Funkwerks, too.

While not just one beer, the various Yeti beers are all all-stars. Not that ratings are the end-all-be-all, but at one time I think there were 3-4 different Yeti beers all in the top 100. Even if that was inflated a little, that's pretty impressive.

10. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (255) Colorado Oct 18, 2009

How in the HELL is no one mentioning Crooked Stave?!?!?

(I didn't read anything about disliking sours. Maybe not EASILY available, but a must.)

kwijibo61 and coreymcafee like this.
  11. Dry Dock URCA Vanilla Porter is a favorite of mine. Also their Apricot Blonde is very good (though may be harder to find this time of year) and their Bligh Barleywine just came out (but might sell out relatively quickly). Odell's has some good stuff as well...and Crooked Stave is a good option too if you like sours. Supposedly Crooked Stave is going to be available in liquor stores within the week or so (according to a liquor store I stopped in today). If you can get her to do a growler fill for you Prost is good (and can be purchased in some liquor stores) or Copper Kettle's Mexican Chocolate Stout (which is fantastic but steep at $25 for a growler).

12. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

Locals trying to hoard the tasties for ourselves.

13. Jefeipa

Jefeipa Aficionado (190) Arizona May 6, 2009

How many different bottle beers do they have for to-go sale at there brewery?

14. Saw WWBB and Surette at Lukas today. Not sure how long they've had them...hadn't noticed them there before.

15. alexipa

alexipa Savant (420) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Crooked Stave is in every liquor store I frequent... Lot's of them, at that.

16. Yep...apparently I missed them everywhere I went until tonight at Lukas (see above). Noob mistake, I know.

17. Domingo

My thought with Crooked Stave is that it's not always easy to find one particular beer from them. Maybe Surette or Petit Sour, but I'm not ever sure either of those are common enough to see on most shelves beyond a few weeks.
    Their M.O. doesn't seem to revolve around a flagship you can always find.

18. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

Not yet :)

19. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

CS is in between bottlings...as in, they ran out of beer to bottle for distribution. Whatever is on the shelves has been there for a while. New stuff soon.... At least that's what Chad told me. He wouldn't lie to me, would he? Would he?? :(

20. Domingo

Their Brett D'or was bottled the other day. If you like sours, that one is amazing. I'm hoping they eventually bottle one of those Nightmare on Brett variants, too. Brandy was my fave.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  21. scrob

scrob Zealot (75) Colorado Oct 19, 2010

Chances are you can't get Firestone Walker beer east of Colorado. For me, there;s no better IPA's than Union Jack or Double Jack!