1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment One review per user, per beer update question

Discussion in 'Site' started by Tucquan, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Tucquan

Tucquan Advocate (565) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2007

I see that my duplicate beer ratings were removed as indicated in the announcement. I'm curious, what algorithm was used to determine the new rating for a beer when there were duplicates? Was it an average of all the reviews for that beer? Also, what algorithm was used to determine which words/review to keep? As an example, I see the words/review for my formerly top-rated beer, but if I recall correctly, I had it rated .17 points higher. It looks like it may have inherited an average or perhaps the numeric rating of one of my other reviews of this same beer. Of interest, I had given the cask version the highest rating (numero uno of all of my 860+ former ratings). Sorting my list now by rating shows a different top beer that was just a bit lower than my real favorite. Thanks.

2. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

If a user reviewed a beer more than once, the update script kept the most recent review/rating. There was no stored aggregate rating for multiple reviews by a single user.

That said, the script to update all beer ratings is still running. You'll no doubt see some scores update once complete, but nothing too crazy given the small number of multiple reviews that were removed.

3. Tucquan

Tucquan Advocate (565) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2007

Makes sense. Thanks.

4. I just thought I was going crazy when i saw i had less reviews than before. Going to hit 1800 reviews twice! Cheers!

Onenote81 likes this.
  5. charlzm

charlzm Champion (775) California Sep 3, 2007

I was at 997 reviews, then suddenly it went down to 947. I wonder which reviews were thrown away? Guess I've learned my lesson; don't count on Beer Advocate as an archive of beer reviews. I understand we're providing free content to a for-profit website, but still, it surprised me. I didn't learn about this until I came here just now...

6. Todd

You mean just like I can't count on people to read my Announcement posts? ;)

Friend, we have all of your reviews backed-up at least once. We also plan on emailing everyone their multiples reviews. Nothing is lost.

7. charlzm

charlzm Champion (775) California Sep 3, 2007

Thanks, Todd. Sorry, I tend to log in, review a beer, then log out. After the redesign, I just never went back to using the forums. Until now, anyway.

8. Todd

No worries. We'll make an announcement before emailing everyone impacted by the update.

9. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

:) Did you go to sensitivity school over the holidays or something? Maybe I'm hallucinating, but it sure seems like there is a kinder and gentler Todd on the forums (so far) these days. What happened to the old crusty Todd who would respond (generally): "Hey, this is the way we do things around here. It's our site, not yours... if you don't like the way we do things, you can go take a flying jump in the lake!"

Slight exaggeration of course, but am I the only one who has noticed an increased effort to empathize with a poster's position, and provide more reasonable and often very courteous responses?

Boilerfood likes this.
  10. Todd

I'm flattered that you have the spare time to give me so much thought in your day.

By the way, I'll be giving out free hugs today from noon to 2pm.

11. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Todd's running his first LIF!

kevanb and Etan like this.
  12. Where can i stock up on these hugs? Do they come in sixers?

13. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Dammit! Just read this post. Now I'm going to have to hustle if I want to make it in time for my free hug!

14. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Are users list of hads backed up as well? I would hate to log all these beers here (the primary spot I do it) and then one day after a crash they'd be gone.

15. Todd

Yes. We backup data on a regular basis and the servers have been extremely stable since Feb 2012. We plan on securing our data even more this year.

Hanzo likes this.
  16. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Is there anything to account for multiple reviews across different formats? The only beers I reviewed more than once were for the same beer in a different format, i.e. growler vs. bottle vs. can vs. tap, etc. There were a couple of times when I updated existing reviews based on new tasting notes, but I never logged a new review for the same beer in the same format. My duplicates were purely for reference to compare format variations.

Thanks!

17. Todd