1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

One Year of Ticking

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Celtics76, Sep 17, 2012.

1. About a year ago, I decided to start ticking/rating beers. The purpose was to gain a strong knowledge of different styles and to get a sense of what the best breweries are. I had been into craft beer for a few years but never at this level. I accomplished what I set out to do, ticking 312 beers and enjoying most of them. I recommend this to all newbies but it's very easy to get burned out on it. I currently feel that way. The one big con to doing this is that I'll always choose a new beer over a favorite just so I can add to my list. It also costs a lot more to do mix a sixes all the time.

Going forward, I'm still going to tick but I'm going to go back to 4, 6 and 12 packs with the occasional bomber.

Just thought I'd share my experience. For the record, Founders and Stone are my two top breweries though I drank more Sam Adams than anything due to the large variety of brews they offer. My top 5 beers are Heavy Seas Loose Cannon, Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, Gulden Draak Dark Triple, Stone Ruination 10th Anniversary, and Sierra Nevada Celebration. Worst beer is Bud Light (big surprise, right?)

Cheers.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

djaeon and NoSignsOfPain like this.
  3. I tick from time to time. I started keeping a journal to train my palate. I'm up around 100 now - it's taken a few years to get even that far and I've found myself less motivated to tick lately. Now and then I'll still do it, especially for bombers, special releases, etc. But mostly I just drink the beer.
  4. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

I did the same thing starting last year too. I wanted to really experience a lot of different styles and variations of said styles. Expand my tastes. I also wanted to drink down my cellar which was getting out of control. I'm at 567, I'm hoping to finish up around 1000.

Dope
  5. socon67

socon67 Advocate (600) New York Jun 18, 2010

The ticker's dilemna; do you order the beer you know you like, or the one that you haven't had yet and sounds interesting?
    westcoastbeerlvr and Onenote81 like this.
  6. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

I joined Untap** in the beginning of November and just passed 600 unique check-ins this weekend. Some are from tastings, some are full bottles that I consumed.
    Both!!
    luwak likes this.
  7. Ticker for life
    asustevo likes this.
  8. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Same boat here; been reviewing every new beer since June 2011, currently at 511. But of course I have my favorites too and occasionally enjoy relaxing with one of those without pulling out the notepad. I'd definitely get burned out if I only ever tried new beers. Also, for me most ticks consist of a full 750mL or 22oz bottle, so I think that's not considered a traditional 4oz ticker's sample. Cheers!
  9. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

I finished at 776 new beers last year for a full year and currently am on pace for about the same this year.
    Such is life for a ticker. Although, I am finding I need to start having more things I like around, I sometimes, just dont feel like reviewing.

Cheers!
    DSlim71 likes this.
  10. BA is no longer ticker friendly and alas less ticks/reviews IMO
    yemenmocha likes this.
  11. Why is it less ticker friendly?
  12. Karma less ticks
    2beerdogs and yemenmocha like this.
  13. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I still tick, slowly but steadily. Closing in on review number 1800.
  14. I still do also Bill but not as much as i did a year ago, i still enjoy reviewing and reading others reviews
    Bitterbill likes this.
  15. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

You "seem" to be returning to form this month. ;)
    gatornation likes this.
  16. That makes sense I guess. I took a break from reviewing for a little bit but never took that into consideration.
  17. you are correct sir but i did take a break way behind on my reviews
  18. Fight the good fight.
    NoSignsOfPain likes this.
  19. If you like to try different beers and just keep track of what you've tried but don't write reviews are you still a ticker?
  20. This is what I do. I just bring up the beer on BA, mark it "had" and give it a rating on the 1-5 scale. It's easier for me to enjoy my beers if all I'm going to do is basically say it's good or not rather than "have" to write a full tasting notes review on it. It's an easy way to keep track of the beers you've had. The only downside is that not all beers are uploaded on BA, and you can't add new ones unless you've done 20 reviews or something like that, so sometimes I have to wait for someone else to add it.
  21. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

I don't get it?
  22. I review everything I drink, but always return to my favorites. I'd have way more reviews if I only drank new stuff. Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, Ayinger Celebrator, St. Bernardus Abt 12, Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin', Ten Fidy, etc. are all great off the shelf beers, and I enjoy them on a regular basis. As far as ticking, I try and focus on the rare / hype / highly rated stuff. Why some people frown upon that is beyond me. I love tracking down the rarities and goodies and sharing them with friends. Hooray beer.
  23. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

I believe gator is saying that, since the new site came up, Karma points are MIA. Karma provided a motivation to review new beers. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    brewbetter likes this.
  24. Sometimes it's hard for me to review a beer I've only had once. Especially complex beers such as Imperial IPAs and Stouts. That second or third bottle allows me to make a fairer assessment. That's why I'd like to drift away from mix-a-sixes. Easier said than done!
    luwak likes this.
  25. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Forget that. Just keep trying different beers so you can get the most ticks.
  26. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

That's really what a ticker is, I drink a beer, mark that I had it and give it a quick 1-5 rating. If the major tickers took the time to write in depth reviews of each new beer they tried it would consume all of their day.
  27. I'm approaching my year of ticking and I'm pushing about 300. I've definitely slowed down as far as variety, just buying more cases of things now, but when I go out to a bar then first thing I look for is something I've never had.
  28. GMan

GMan Aficionado (215) Tennessee Apr 16, 2012

I'm already married and I don't need to limit myself in the beer department! Trying new beers, breweries, styles, etc. is fun and interesting(without the allimony payments) :)
    2beerdogs likes this.
  29. I knocked out 84 of the top 100 beers in a year leaving me with 5 remaining thanks to that RareR DOS ruining everyone's shit with 25 whopping swingtops released.

As far as reviews go, I tried probably around 650 beers and wrote 354 reviews in the past calendar year, each around 700-800 words long, however, many of those words were me covering up my horrible palate by being a pedantic asshole.
    Gosox8787, luwak, paulys55 and 3 others like this.
  30. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

One year of ticking is a lot like one year of tickling: sooner or later, you're gonna pee your pants.
    brewbetter likes this.
  31. Nah, not really.
  32. BrownNut

BrownNut Savant (305) Florida Jul 11, 2011

Celtics 76, these two statements don't quite line up for me and I wonder if you'll comment. I've been curious about tickers for a while.

Before we start, I want to compare nomenclature. To me there is a difference between a ticker and a reviewer. I want to try lots of new beers too, but I don't care how many that winds up being. And I don't want to just drink 4 ounces or whatever just so I can check it off. I want several 12ozers or a 22 or a 750 so I can get to know it and think about it. And just rating something 1-5 isn't useful for me because without a review, I won't remember why I liked or disliked a given beer or what it was like when I later look back. So I don't consider myself a ticker. I have no number goal and I don't count how many I've had.

My view of tickers is based on the documentary about those English tickers and based on the activity of those Danish ticker robots is that tickers seem to be less about the beer and more about winding up with a massive number. Some of those guys taste dozens and dozens and dozens of beers in a single day - it's hard for me to imagine being able to think much about an individual beer in that case or to enjoy drinking only little bits of beers or to have my palate function after the first ten or so or being able to remember anything about beer # 11,203 when I'm on beer # 17,949. And it seems almost like a chore for those guys, often having to take home beer in plastic water bottles to drink later just so they can get their official tick. It seems to be about the tick, with the beer as secondary. Choke down a nasty Corona, tick.

So I'm interested in A.) whether our definitions of ticker line up and B.) whether you felt, as it at least seems to sound a bit, like you were on a treadmill, forcing down beers for the sake of hitting the number to the point you got burned out. And you mentioned that you really need to drink a beer in greater volume to get to know it. You mentioned you wanted to tick to learn more about styles and to find the best breweries, but did that take a back seat to meeting your quota pace with smaller volumes? I'm trying to understand the value of hitting a number at the expense of just enjoying and exploring beer, but it escapes me. Don't let me put words in your mouth though - I'm interested in your perspective.
  33. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (335) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Life's too short not to dabble. Luckily I have found a great beerstore (liquor store) that sells 12 oz singles which makes it easy and inexpensive to try different brews. They also bring in new beers in all the time. Reasonably priced singles and 22's also. They also sell 1/2 ( 32 oz ) growlers for $10 or less. Great to bring draft beer home! The 90+ rating doesn't always apply to you. Your taste may be far different than the raters. I know many high rated beers are Belgian style. As acclaimed as they are I have no like for this kind of beer style. Make your own ratings. A lot of the high rankers are very strong beers which isn't for everyone. I love Port Brewing's Wipe Out which is what I feel is a mild IPA but has enough hoppiness and character which goes down great. Don't forget beerfests where you can drop $30 - $40 and have unlimited tastings and really test your taste buds. I go back myself to some old standards which I still enjoy. But life is to explore and as many beers as you have tried, there are tons more out there waiting for you to pop the top off and quaff. Stay hungry and THIRSTY in your beer pursuits. Beer on you Microheads!!!
  34. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

This is no dilemma at all for a true Ticker. Tickers always grab the new thing first.
    yemenmocha likes this.
  35. Ticker Pride! To tick beers is to live beer life to the fullest.
    MarioM likes this.
  36. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Champion (925) Maine Sep 17, 2005

I guess I'm a ticker, with about 1500 reviews over seven years.
    I love beer, will buy both beers that are new to me and beers that I've never had.
    My only rule is that I need to drink a couple beers, or a bomber, before I review it.
  37. I started ticking on untappd Christmas Day last year. Im at 1091 unique checkins, and that was a good 18 months into my drinking career.
  38. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Variety is...

the spice of life.
    Dools9 likes this.
  39. Trying new beer is fun and to me helps get an idea of the styles and breweries I like and don't like. I try a couple new beers each week and have for the last 6 months or so. In between, I pick up and return to some of my favorites from time to time. Does that make me a ticker?
  40. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (475) Florida May 29, 2011

If your wanting to further train your palate & build upon your beer knowledge, I recommend this:

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/bjcp_flyer.pdf