1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

One Year of Ticking

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Celtics76, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Ticking is a blast. I entered about 600 new reviews in 2012. That said, I often drink my favorite beers (Cantillon, 3F, HF) and solid shelf beers (Weihenstephaner Hefe, Ayinger Celebrator, Little Sumpin' Sumpin', etc.). This means less ticking, but I'll take a delicious beer over a mediocre tasting new tick any day.

2. No more NickD717, may he RIP.

3. In 2012, I set a goal of 1,000 new ticks for the year. I ended up with over 2,000. I win.

4. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,180) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Always more to review! It never ends!

5. My wife and I started ticking beers a year ago on an Iphone app. We've both ticked over 200 now and still going strong. This weekend we're actually planning a trip to the west coast in search of some awesome brews.

6. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

No offense, but from what you said, you don't sound like you enjoyed yourself

7. Nah, it was fun. The last couple of months just weren't as fun as the first 10. The appeal just waned a bit. Always good to take a break once in a while to reignite things.

8. I entered 706ish in 2012... You have lots to learn young padiwan.

9. smakawhat

I would have broke 1000 in 2011, but in early December i got really sick...

Being sick sucks cause i cant review beer then.. :(

10. I'm new to BA, but not craft beer. The BA site allows me to feed my beer curiosity and keep track (I started from zero when I joined BA) at the same time. I like ticking, but I can't fathom how someone can try 1000+ beers in a year, write all those reviews, enjoy themselves or have time for a family and a job.

11. Ticking is err ... TICKING it has nothing to do with writing reviews !

The name ticker, as far as I'm concerned, comes from ticking off lists at beer festivals (and the good beer guide, but more the former).

12. smakawhat

Not a problem :) Accomplished all those things, enjoyed myself alot!

thagr81us likes this.
  13. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

I don't really get the controversy over ticking that seems to be behind the scenes in all these threads.

I think they need a "ticking 101" page on this site, listing what it is exactly and the pluses, minuses, and controversies involved in this "ticking"

14. Thanks to Untappd I've become a part time ticker.

Join date of Jan 28th, 2012 with 1886 total check-ins, 990 unique...so about 50% ticker:)

15. smakawhat

People on this site review beer... my understanding that's kind of how BA started... It's basically the reason for its existence and success.

I like many others review beer and other drink. It's a passionate hobby. Not sure why people call it "ticking" reviewing is reviewing and every new beer is exciting in more ways than one as are old stand bys.

I review beers. Others seem to call it whatever else, but seem to get all obsessed about others doing it, or how they are doing it.

As kzoobrew said once before "tickers gonna tick, haters gonna hate".

Not sure why, I don't get the controversy over it either, but it seems to get people on BA upset. Live and let live.

16. ticking has been around way longer than BA!
    each to their own rules!

17. I have a great job, spend a lot of time with my family, write about 600 reviews per year, and work out every day. Time management and a passion for beer. It's all possible.

18. smakawhat

I have a job too! It pays for my mortgage and hobby. I spend time with my family also, I only got the wife and 2 cats but hey you get the idea. Sometimes my wife even likes the beers, and she tries just about EVERYTHING I have. She likes beer that doesn't taste like "beer-beer" as she calls it, stuff like lambics (she loves them she spent a school semester in Brussels), some sweet fruit ones, she loves Schlenkerla which I find shocking, but I digress...

Anyway it's all possible, it all depends on how much you want to put into it. 2-3 different beers every day.. 365 days in a year X 2-3 = 600+ max 1095? Take about 10-15 minutes enjoying... LOVING a brew (or not) and writing about it's qualities... or MORE! 15min X 3 beers you factor in another 20 minutes between each brew maybe less... you got about 50 to 90 minutes of enjoyable 3 beer review time in a day in a 24 hour period... 90 minutes of your life for 3 brews a day everyday... not much to loose there! EVERYTHING TO GAIN!!!

you can DO IT MAN!! you just gotta BUUHLLLEIVE... uh uh

whoops got into sing song voice there.

and then when you miss a few days, you make it all back by say having... 4-5 one day (or gasp) MORE!

But sure it's possible, preferably with good bars with choices, and stores with variety it sure as heck can be done, it's all up to you how much you want to enjoy! And then you can OOMPH it up by...

SHARRRRING!!! with buds and mates! Who bring all their beers... oh yeah!

So To recap of review slash (air quoutes) ticker slash beer reviewing formula: woot FRAME IT!!

"2 to 3 beers a day in a 365 day period = to 1000 review give or take a day off, and then you make it up by reviewing visits at the pub, spending 15 minutes of X number of beers in a day, with 90 minutes give or take 2 hours of merriment and bathroom breaks in between of your life, working out by riding your bike to the pub, carrying large bags of bought bottles, loosing weight in the process, topping off with botttle shares with your other drinking mates compounded by hoopla and merriment gets to a +2% deviaton EQUALS... nearly 1000+"

What's your passion? welcome to the addiction!!

It's all your fault Todd and Jason... :) well ok not really...

19. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

FTFY